All The Lost Souls Review

artist: james blunt date: 07/13/2009 category: compact discs
james blunt: All The Lost Souls
Release Date: Sep 18, 2007
Label: WEA
Genres: Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, Pop/Rock, Adult Contemporary, Singer/Songwriter
All The Lost Souls brims with big build-ups, epic-sounding ballads, and lyrics to lose yourself in.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 9.3
 9.2
 9.3
All The Lost Souls Reviewed by: BreAkdOwn396, on september 19, 2007

Sound: The sound is amazing. The music fits perfectly together. The Piano goes together with all the guitars very well. The biggest complaint I have is James's voice. But it is much better than on "Back To Bedlam". The style fits very well. All the music was set up very smart and well. All the instruments fit together very well. Really the only complaint I have is that there is to much piano. But the sound quality it's self is very well done. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well done. They are inspirational, inpiring, and touching. The meaning behind all of the songs touched me. All though I dislike his voice it complements the music very well. James Blunt is a very talented singer don't get me wrong, but his voice is a bit high for me. But it is very much improved for his last CD. If it didn't fit the music so well I would not like it, but James has so much talent and makes it work. // 8

Overall Impression: Over all "All The Lost Souls" is a much better album than his first. I come from listening to rock, metal, and hardcore music, but if you listen to this with an open mind you will find it greatly pleasurable. I most enjoyed the song "I Really Want You". It has a very upbeat tempo, meaningful lyrics, And James even kind of raps during the verses, and it sounds beautiful. The song touched me the most but all the songs are great. I loved the layout of the CD. It was full of meaningful songs. "All The Lost Souls" really grew on me and I would suggest everyone to go pick it up. Even if you are not a fan of his music listen to it with an open mind and you will fall for it like I did. // 9

All The Lost Souls Reviewed by: mercury23, on july 13, 2009

Sound: James Blunt really impressed critics when "Back to Bedlem" came out. He came out of nowhere and his voice was just so unique. With "All The Lost Souls: Deluxe Edition" its no different. The album originally came out over a year before this version did. Most of the style of James Blunts "Back to Bedlem" album is back but with a few improvements. On the first album most songs were simple and just acoustic, but when they were performed live they added in all the instruments. On "All The Lost Souls: Deluxe Edition" all the instruments are there from the beginning. Also one of the best things sound wise on this album is the timing of when the instruments come in. Where they come into the songs really add to the feeling of the music. And because this is the deluxe edition you get five extra songs on the CD. Three of which are live covers including the "Supertramp" hit "Breakfast In America", one is a new song and single "Love Love Love" and the other one is a duet with Italian singer Laura Pausini entitled "Primavera In Anticipo". There is also a DVD that comes with as well that has Live recordings and the videos to the albums singles and a Documentary about James. Overall a very good sound from Blunt and a solid improvement from a very good debut album. // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics, as from most James Blunt Songs, are very deep and complicated. "1973" talks about the past of a couple that have fallen apart. "One of the Brightest Stars" talks about someone finally being recognized as the person that everyone always knew they could be. Other songs include: "Same Mistake" which is about seeing the world as it is but not being able to change the mistakes that are made, "Carry You Home" which is a story about bringing someone home from a war, "Annie" a song about a person named Annie who was ready for fame and didn't get what she wished for, "I Can't Hear The Music" which is about someone unable to hear music wishing to hear it one last time, and other songs. Most have very deep lyrics and you can tell they were written for a purpose not just to fill up an album. Very solid. // 9

Overall Impression: James Blunt had a tough job following up his first album "Back to Bedlem" but with "All The Lost Souls" and then this Deluxe Edition he managed to improve on his success. The best songs to listen to are: "Same Mistake", "1973", "Carry You Home", and "I Can't Hear The Music". I absolutely love this album and the extra features that come with this amazing. It's sad when the thing you hate the most about an album is that you want more of it but that's all I can think of! I wanted more after listening to this album and there is already plenty to begin with. If you enjoy James Blunt music you won't be disappointed with this album. It is seriously one of the best albums out there. // 10

More James Blunt reviews rating latest review