Back To Bedlam Review

james blunt: Back To Bedlam
Released: Jan 4, 2005
Label: WEA International
Genres: Adult Alternative Pop/Rock
Back To Bedlam takes the listener through heartfelt songs of unattainable romances, lost loves and friend's failures before climaxing with James' first-hand experience of war.
 Lyrics: 8.9
 8.3
 7.6
Back To Bedlam Reviewed by: macclad, on september 30, 2005

Sound: The first song I heard of this album is probably the same as everybody else who bought it 'You're Beautiful'. When I heard that song on TV I was blown away by it, I don't know what it was but it was enough to make me buy the album. And I'm glad I did, some fantastic sounds going on, very simple but good acoustic guitar and all around fantastic music. // 9

Lyrics: Very powerful words in all songs. James Blunt sings with full on thought and emotion. A brilliant show of songwriting ability. The are some very moving songs on this album. Particularly track 4 'Goodbye My Lover' - a slow piano ballad with a breathtaking arrangement of words. // 10

Overall Impression: There is very few artists I could say that James Blunt sounds similar to. The only singer I could think of is Michael Stipe of REM. Blunt has a unique style with his voice and music combined. The most impressive song I would say is 'Tears And Rain' - track number 5. // 9

Back To Bedlam Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 06, 2005

Sound: James Blunt's voice is absolutely amazing! He is a supernatural singer that sings emotional and flowing music. It is amazing how he can get his voice to pith so high, it is truely unique! This is James's first ever album and has made a splash around the world and I'm sure James has many more hits to come. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very emotional and personal as he used his personal experiences to write the songs in his album. James has a superior voice and the pitch that he can reach is extra ordinary for a man of his age. // 7

Overall Impression: I think this is a different style of music. Obviously his only hit at the moment is "You're Beautiful." I think this particular song has a long way to go. This song is just amazing in every way. If it was stolen yes I would purchase it again! James's voice is worth it! // 10

Back To Bedlam Reviewed by: starbomb13, on october 13, 2005

Sound: The sound is very relaxing, calm, soothing. Lots of chord strumming, light drums, and talented singing. His style is kinda like Butch Walker or Michael Stipe, but still very different from mainstream music. // 8

Lyrics: Very sensitive and emotional, through his words you develop and image that's beyond this world. Lots of songs about love, and then War. They all carry the emotion that it's truly genuine and pure. His voice adds depth to the songs too. Blunt has great singing chops, he combines them well. // 9

Overall Impression: I bought the CD for 'You're Beautiful', but the entire album is well put together, more real that most albums I've heard. The best songs are 'High', 'You're Beautiful' and 'Out Of My Mind'. The only thing that I'm not that into is some of the music, like the intro/verse to track 3. Just not my style. other than that, I can say that he's full of talent blooming. // 9

Back To Bedlam Reviewed by: littlesteph05, on december 21, 2005

Sound: I must admite when I first heard James Blunt's first single I wasn't to keen on it, after listen to the album at a mates house I loved it. For someone who has come out of a army at the age of 28 the album has such a sensitive side. I love the way I can relate so many things to so many of these songs. Each song has such a soft but beatyish tune to it. One song I can really relate to is "You're Beauitiful", not the whole song, just one line "'cause I'll never be with you." This made me think about a guy I liked, but now I do have him. So that's my relation to that song. I must say that James Blunt is one of the most talented singer/songwriters of the year. All in all sound in this album is fantasic. // 10

Lyrics: I love the lyrics in the album. they are so creative. This is the type of ablum anyone could sing a long to. As well as a serous side, there is one or two jokes in it, but knida in an adult hummor. The lyrics go really well with the tune and time. James Blunt has such a great unquie voice. // 8

Overall Impression: I love, great lyircs, great sound. It's nothing like I've heard this year, it's not the best album I've ever heard, but it the best album this year. There isn't anything I hate about this album. It's one for almost everyone. The most impressive song is "You're Beauitiful," it's a song that I say a few people could relate to. I would probably buy the album again. // 9

Back To Bedlam Reviewed by: dark_destiny, on january 09, 2006

Sound: British singer/songwriter James Blunt is having reasonable success with his album Back To Bedlam, with his alternative style. Most people who listen to the radio or watch TV would have heard the single 'You're Beautiful', a mix of sweet acoustic guitar and a great melody. This is present on the rest of the album as the music contains simple yet effective acoustic music and unique but nonetheless excellent vocals by James himself. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are personal reflections of happenings or events in James' life and are sometimes very deep and emotional, such as the song 'Goodbye My Lover' which contains a beautiful piano accompaniment with a powering yet soft voice over the top. The singing is equal to the music. There are some great melodies and harmonies in this album. // 8

Overall Impression: I like this album how it is arranged with the piano, guitar and vocal parts, a unique blend of musical excellence. The most impressive or rather favourite songs of mine are 'High', 'Goodbye My Lover', 'Wisemen' and 'Billy'. Overall worth checking out if you are into alternative or looking for a change in music. // 9

Back To Bedlam Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 13, 2006

Sound: James Blunt has a unique sound for the current British scene, which is dominated by bands like Block Party and Arctic Monkeys etc. Although these are great bands, I find that Blunt's style and approach to his sound is much more geniune. His sound ranges from beautifully strummed guitar lines "Tears and Rain" to piano ballads "Goodbye My Lover." Blunt draws from his experiances in the army and his relationships, and these add upto a soothing and relaxing yet thoughtful sound. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics are amazing, vocals are fantastic, alot of high pitched almost falsetto range vocals that suit the music well. Blunt has a very good talent for writing beautiful and personal lyrics, drawn from his stint in the British army during which he served as a peacekeeper in the Kosovo conflict. He also draws from his relationships with loved ones and friends, and these tales are very well woven into the fabric of the album. // 10

Overall Impression: Amazing. My favourite songs are "Tears And Rain," "Cry" and "Goodbye My Lover." If it was stolen, I would buy another very quickly from my friend. Overally, this is a great album that shows even greater promise for a rising talent and, he's English - thanks God. Makes me proud again. // 10

Back To Bedlam Reviewed by: Julesfromyo, on august 28, 2006

Sound: Most would describe Jame's Blunt's first solo album as purely in the genres of pop. His voice is very high in pitch and he switches into falsesetto a few times in songs. His songs all have pretty decent melodies mixing piano and guitar, two of the numerous instruments he is said to play. His sound is as unique for a pop act, which are generally seen to be very generic. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics to the album are amazing and completely fit the mood of the song; they help infisize to mood and emotions to the songs. His lyrics alone should be considered poetic. Although at times maybe the brittish accent but you can't really make out the words without looking at the album booklet. // 10

Overall Impression: The album Back to Bedlam should be considered a must have for any fan of general pop, with tracks such as, "Your Beautiful," and "High." Some of the so far lesser known tracks that should not be ignored to his fans are "So Long Jimmy," and "Tears and Rain." What any lisener has to love about the album whould be the fact that the lyrics he created in his songs personaly came frome his experiances in life, that to me is what's most impressive about Back to Bedlam. Overall the album should be placed as one of the best in 2005. // 10

Back To Bedlam Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 10, 2007

Sound: James Blunt's acoustic guitar sound is very unique. A fan of '60s and '70s guitar music would be amazed by it. His style is very unique, but if I have to pin-point how 'Back To Bedlam' sounds like, I would say, it sounds like a bit of Bob Dylan's amazing sounds on his records. Overall, the sound is pretty good, is a lo-fi on the acoustic guitar on some songs, but overall, it's a must-love for a acoustic-guitar music fan. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics are singable, makes good for a pop-folk record. "Tears And Rain", "No Bravery", "You're Beautiful", "High" are all lyrical masterpieces and is very easy to remember. The lyrics fit well with the climax of the songs. His voice that comes along with the package is very unique, you would probably think he have some girl sing it, but the vocals fit the emotional aspect and the musical aspect of the songs. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said, I find this album, very dylan-like. But that's probably because Dylan's acoustic albums are very good (lyrically) as well. But I think Back to Bedlam is very unique and doesn't really sound like anything I've heard before. It has that beatles albums' simple-ness to it. This album has made me a fan of James Blunt and inspired me to play the guitar so I guess I love the entire record, but if I would let you borrow this record, I would tell you to listen to "Tears And Rain", "Cry", "You're Beautiful," "High," "Goodbye My Lover," "So Long Jimmy." // 10

More James Blunt reviews rating latest review