Undiscovered Review

james morrison: Undiscovered
Release Date: Aug 15, 2006
Label: Polydor
Genres: Rock
Purists may still baulk at the prospect of a white lad from the North of England singing soul, but the sure success of Undiscovered ought to prove that a strong voice will always be the bottom line.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.3
 9.9
 8.7
Undiscovered Reviewed by: laneychief, on october 19, 2006

Sound: The sound of James Morrison, in my opinion. Is very good, I like the soul feel he has to it, not many artists have that these days, he isn't just another guy with an acoustic. I have watched interviews with him and he tells the story behind most of his songs, that's just it they have storys, it's really interesting and clever lyrics. I'd say his downfall is that he is pulled towards the cliche subject of love. Most of his songs are upbeat and really get you moving apart from a few slow 6/8 time soul ballads which adds contrast to the album, but his voice isn't as good when he is singing slow songs, it sounds better when it's singing an upbeat passionate song. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics he used are personal to him, or adapted to suit him, he uses some clever phrasing and the story within the song is good to keep attention. He has a tendancy though, to slip into rhyming couplets, making the song less interesting. I'd say that his relation between his music and the lyrics is he tends to play a chord, sing a line, play a chord, sing a line before he gets into the swing of it, this gets slightly repetitive. His voice is extremely soulful, it has a rough texture which is what I think makes him stand out, it would be better if he could reach the lower notes, but he can't help that. // 9

Overall Impression: At first glance you think, he's just another Jack Johnson, James Blunt but he's not you listen to his lyrics and his soulful texture and he's different to anything out there at the moment, which helps. The most impressive songs on the album are 'Call the police' which has very clever lyrics and 'This Boy' which is a slow ballad about his, or any other childhood. I don't hate anything about this album, but the real test is the test of time, will I still like it after listening to it again and again, which is the mark of a good album if I do. If I lost it or it was stolen I would definatly buy another one. // 10

Undiscovered Reviewed by: vhhendrixcrazy, on august 23, 2006

Sound: James Morrison is a breakthrough artist in the UK. I discovered his music after browsing through the UK Itunes Chart. I had sampled his single, "You Give Me Something" and I was just amazed how his voice just moved me. His influences include Otis Redding, Al Green, Cat Stevens, and Van Morrison, along with others. I can definitely hear these styles fused in together to create his "own" sound and it's just terrific! Each track has it's own emotion. For example in "Under The Influence", it's more of an uplifting upbeat song with soul. // 10

Lyrics: Morrison has written powerful lyrics. Each lyric he sings in the song just fits. He puts his own 'feel' when he sings. Sometimes he sings in a slow soothing voice to put you in that kind of mood, then he kicks it up a notch by singing his voice out, especially in the choruses. In "The Rain Must Fall" the chorus starting on 1:53, Morrison delivers his range in voice in this one. Especially on this lyric: If the sky turns black/If there's no way back/It won't matter much to me/If I had you. // 10

Overall Impression: This is probably the best music I've heard all summer or even this year. Listen to "Better Man" because it will let you get a chance to see 'who' he is. If one gets a chance to listen to this artist, listen to his debut single "You Give Me Something". The most impressive songs on the album are "This Boy" and "Wonderful World", "This Boy" has an acoustic in the beginning with catchy verses and choruses. "Call The Police" and "Under The Influence" are also great ones. The slow tempo songs are "The Pieces Don't Fit Anymore", "One Last Chance", and "The Last Goodbye". "Actually, his whole album is great altogether. This is probably the only album where you can listen to every song on the album without having to skip a track. If I had lost it I'd go to the nearest store immediately to buy it! // 10

Comments