Strays Review

artist: janes addiction date: 06/13/2005 category: compact discs
janes addiction: Strays
Released: Jul 22, 2003
Genre: Rock
Tones: Theatrical, Aggressive, Trippy, Rousing, Freewheeling, Fiery, Intense, Energetic, Dramatic
Styles: Hard Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Alternative Metal
 9.6
 9.1
Strays Reviewed by: Muse(ic) ROCKS!, on october 22, 2003

Sound: This album is simply brilliant. It begins with the heavy zeppelin-esque riff from 'true nature', including two guitar solos. it has a mostly hard/alternative rock theme, which is shown by the riffs and solos in most of the other songs. The best songs are 'Price I pay' and 'riches', contrasting louder sections with the calmer beginnings, with extremely cathcy riffs and chorus. 'Just because' is also an all round strong track, with a great intro lead and verse riff, plus loadsa solos and fills. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics work brilliantly with the music, especially on 'riches', where it really stands out on the first verse. Nothing seems out of place on this album, and seeing as they have had a lot of experiences together, these lot have a fair amount to say // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the best comeback albums of the year, after being apart for 12 years. Jane's addiction are bringing rock n roll back, and you would be a fool to miss out on this oppurtunity. // 10

Strays Reviewed by: marmite, on june 13, 2005

Sound: This has to be up there as one of my favorive albums of all time. This was the fisrt Jane's Addiction album I bought and I got it because I heard the first track on the album 'True Nature' on TV. And what a way to start an album, If there was ever any doubt that they would suck after not talking for 10 years, this track would change your mind immediately. Personally I think this album is one of those 'All Killer No Filler' albums such as nevermind, the style of music varies alot on this album as it does on all of thier albums, some of the tracks have more of a metal sound like 'True Nature' where as tracks like 'Price I Pay' and 'The Riches' have a more calm feel and there is even an acoustic song on there too 'Everybody's Friend' so in summary, catchy guitar and bass riffs, awesome vocals and drumming. // 10

Lyrics: Perry Farrell has a very unique voice and he obviously put alot of thought into his lyrics for this album. My personal favorite is probably 'The Riches' The lyrics are deep and meaningful, not a bad lyric in the entire song. Much like the rest of the album, powerful vocals which flow perfectly over the guitaring. // 10

Overall Impression: Well like I said this is one of my favorite albums of all time much like thier other albums, after I bought this album it was all I was listening to for months, a very strong comeback album. Though I've heard people say the album is over produced, I would disagree there are still as many catchy original riffs as on thier earlier albums. The album experiments with many different genres without losing direction, as every track has that unigue janes addiction sound. So like I said, I was totally hooked on this album when I bought it. which was around about the same time they split up, which sucked. but hey, we can always hope and pray they get back together some day again, but even if they dont, at least they went out ontop with a strong album. // 10

More Janes Addiction reviews rating latest review