My Kinda Party Review

7.3
 7.9
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
My Kinda Party Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 21, 2010

Sound: The latest album from country-rock's new pioneer combines his old style with a new sound. I think Jason is getting better as he goes, adding in blues and rock themes and combining them with the commercial country sound of today. I think with every album he's stepping more "outside-the-box", and growing more in his unique sound. I think a lot of his songs sound too similar, though. One problem with this album is it still lacks a more varying song catalog. It's better than Wide Open, but still not quite there. But there is still got some variety. For example, in Dirt Road Anthem, Jason raps the verses out like he's been doing it all his life, and the duet with Kelly Clarkson (Don't You Wanna Stay) was totally unexpected. Jason stuck with the usual sound and made a few changes. The album's chart success will show weather they were good or bad. // 7

Lyrics: On this album, Jason didn't write any songs. However, he definitely made them his own. Colt Ford and Brantley Gilbert wrote Dirt Road Anthem. A couple songs (Tatoos on This Town, Fly Over States, etc) were co-written and written by Neil Thrasher, who's wrote many hits for many country artists. Jason also covered Brantley Gilbert's My Kinda Party. Even though Jason didn't write any lyrics, they all sound like him. A true artist never says anything he doesn't believe in, and Aldean is a true artist. The lyrics are pure-country, including themes like women, partying, and drinking. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, I think the album is pretty impressive. Jason is definetely improving as an artist. He's became a huge sensation, and I think he deserves it. He did one great job on this album. Still, as stated before, more variety is needed. If he doesn't shake it up just a little but more, his time in the spotlight wont last much longer. Rock On!!! // 8

More Jason Aldean reviews rating latest review