Perpetual Burn Review

9.3
 8.8
 9.8
Perpetual Burn Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 10, 2006

Sound: I was competely blown away by this record. As a lead guitar player myself, I had been listening Yngwie, Vai, and Satch already, but o my god. This man can play a guitar. If you think that one has to sacrifice melody for speed, you are horribly mistaken. Jason Becker is by far favorite guitar player now. First, on "Altitudes" Becker opens with a great build up to the first guitar licks, and in an instant shows that shred is as natural for him as breathing. The title track is also great, speedy and interesting all the way through. My favorite songs are "Mabel's Fatal Fable," "11 Blue Egyptians," "Altitudes" and "Air." Another masterpiece, "Air" is actually a somewhat welcome departure from his brilliant saturated guitar tone to a crisp clear one. This song is just unbelievable, you'd just have to hear it. I can say right now that there is excuse that Jason Becker isn't nearly as well known as Yngwie. The only bad thing about this record is that it will ruin shred for you. I seriously thought yngwie had been hit on the head when I listened to him after this. // 10

Lyrics: No lyrics. It's an instrumental album. // 10

Overall Impression: I love it, and I have had it stolen already. I had to order it again but hey, it was worth it. Straight up, this album is a text book example of virtuousity. Brilliance, passion, emotion, intensity, it's all here. To cover the full spectrum, the CD gets the job done. "Air" is the cleanest song and probably the most impressive. His fastest shred parts are about 1 min and 55 sec into the title track and again 3 min and 12 sec into "Mabel's Fatal Fable," all throughout "11 Blue Egyptians," it like he was on steroids or something. All in all, truly incredible. // 10

Perpetual Burn Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on july 10, 2006

Sound: This album is an absolute masterpiece, not just in terms of guitar playing but in terms of general compositional and arranging skills. Jason Becker is truly an amazing guitarist and this album showcases that it in its peak form (due to Jason's infliction and battle with ALS). Since he was never the most famous guitarist around, I decided to get this album by special order, which proved to be well worth it and then some. I was opened up to some of the most incredible shred and general guitar music of all time. His guitar tones alone on the opening track are just so powerful and the riffage is quite innovative. The sounds on this album range from classical guitar styling, to jazzy sounds, to neo-classical shred! Honestly, I don't think there are many guitarists out there who can top Jason's ability to compose in any genre! // 10

Lyrics: This album is 100% instrumental, so I'll use this section of this review to rate the composing & arranging! // 9

Overall Impression: This album surely destroys all of Jason's work with Marty Friedman in "Cacophony", so fans of those albums will practcally wanna throw them away! Also, this album is inarguably among some of the best guitar-based or instrumental albums of all time, so it's not just for shredders. Honestly, I believe that every song is equally well-written and performed, but my favourites are the first 4: "Altitudes", "Perpetual Burn", "Mabel's Fatal Fable" & "Air". There's no filler on this record. "Air" is probably the most heartfelt song on the album though. He dedicated it to his parents and arranged/composed it in such a way that any lover of any music style would find it very moving. And of course, the title track that has some of the most difficult, most complicated sweep-arpeggio progression of all time! Not to mention the fact that it blazes with incredible speed throughout the track! Nothing bad can be said about this album except for maybe the fact that there weren't many more like it made by Jason. I guard this album with my life, so it will never leave my posession, and other owners of it probably feel the same way too. Perpetual Burn is seriously worth ten times its weight in gold. // 9

Perpetual Burn Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 27, 2003

Sound: Ahhh, another shredding album for the ages. Let me just start by saying becker's tone is probably the coolest I've ever heard. All over this album there is sweeping string skipping lightning fast walk ups and walk downs and random whammy bar use (which some times is annoying) most of the songs on here I just love and theres like 2 I never listen to, 2 out of 8 isn't bad I think that comes out to about a 4 in sound // 8

Lyrics: N/A -- There's no lyrics and I don't know what to do about that so I'm giving these imaginary lyrics a 4. // 8

Overall Impression: This is one of my favorite albums. Jason Becker is insane. He's like Malmsteen times 2, and the appearences of Marty Friedman on a few songs just adds to the overall sweetness of this album. I'm a big fan of shred guitar and this is my second favorite shred cd so I think you should find it and buy it and then turn it on and let your head spin for 42 minutes of pure insanity. // 10

Perpetual Burn Reviewed by: evan-simpson22, on october 14, 2011

Sound: This album is so diverse that I fail to put my finger on a proper genre except "ridiculous guitar virtuoso" Altitudes, a nice and easy way to start the album off, which is different from most albums of any genres, but the first thing you hear is a pure 80's synth chord and suddenly Becker breaks in with his playing, it took me off guard but I absolutely love the way it picks up and just gets crazier and crazier as it goes on. Opus Pocus is also a song that resembles the style of Altitudes. There are a few songs that are a bit more "classical" such as Mabel's fatal fable and Dweller in the cellar, which has a bone chilling clean part that re-appears throughout the song, The songs Temple of the absurd and Eleven Blue Egyptians have much more "riffing" and it sounds more like some Cacophony, maybe because Friedman guest starred on this album ;). Air is clean from start to finish and its the best lullaby you can ever play for a child. Finally, Perpetual Burn, the title track, Jesus, it blows me away, start to finish, it starts off with a bang that takes you by surprise, the sweeping in this song nearly makes me cry it's such a beautiful album any guitar fan must own it, pretty much the epitome of shred guitarists and the whole era! // 10

Lyrics: There are no lyrics thank god, nobody wants to have wicked songs ruined with potentially bad lyrics... Why can I not post the review without 250 characters in the lyrics box... // 1

Overall Impression: This album is often compared to Marty Friedman Dragons Kiss, which is unfair for Marty, cause complexity-wise, this album blows dragons kiss out of the water and then back in, its intricate time signatures and key changes make this any guitar fanatics collectible. Now I am certainly speaking out of my own opinion, just cause I enjoy it, doesn't mean you will but it's always gonna be worth a spin. I am deeply saddened by Jason's ALS, hopefully they can find a cure so that he can play again someday, shred on Jason, Shred on!!! \m/ // 10

More Jason Becker reviews rating latest review