My Redemption Review

jason cassidy: My Redemption
Released: Oct 4, 2011
Genre: Country
Label: East Cleveland
The sound of this record may not be as big as Texas, but it doesn't need to be. It's great the way it is. Overall, this is an excellent album by an excellent singer songwriter.
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
My Redemption Reviewed by: BwareDWare94, on june 20, 2012

Sound: The state of Texas is known for hyperbole and exaggeration. From the unnecessarily large Texas Stadium to the hats and the belt buckles - the stereotypes of Texas precede the realities of it. One such reality is the extremely impressive country music scene, known for producing recent acts such as the Eli Young Band and the Casey Donahew Band. Jason Cassidy, still a relatively unknown artist nationally, is another big name in Texas. "My Redemption" contains thirteen tracks that justify his fame. The sound is laid back, traditional, and downright excellent. Violin invades just about every song on the album and not once does it do anything other than add to the song. When I first heard Jason Cassidy, I was going through YouTube and stumbled across the video for "What If" and I immediately became a fan. If you want a starting point for Jason Cassidy, go the same route I did and let "What If", a slow and extremely moving plea to a longtime lover, take you by surprise. I also suggest you actually watch the video. It fits the song perfectly and is the best country video I've seen in a long time. Overall, the sound of this record may not be as big as Texas, but it doesn't need to be. It's great the way it is. // 9

Lyrics: Admittedly, the lyrics are a little cheesy, common country fare, you could say, but they seem legitimate. Jason Cassidy has an incredible singing voice that hits highs when necessary but otherwise spends most of its time in a lower register. Lyrical highlights include the aforementioned "What If" and "Honky Tonk Heaven" (including the hidden thirteenth track which is an acoustic version of "Honky Tonk Heaven"). If you want to know which songs highlight his vocal abilities, I'd suggest you listen to the entire album. A lot of unknown artists stay unknown because they lack in the vocal department, and that is perhaps what plagues Casey Donahew. Jason Cassidy, on the other hand, is slowly climbing with "What If" and it's due to his vocal abilities (not to mention that "What If" is easily the strongest lyrical track on the album). I would consider giving Cassidy a 10 in this section because of his singing, but the cheesy lyrics will detract a bit from the score. // 7

Overall Impression: As a whole, "My Redemption" is an excellent album with the one minor flaw in the lyrics, but that's common fare in country music with the exception of certain artists. I can't reiterate enough just how good of a song "What If" is and if all you do after reading this review is listen to that song, I'll be happy because I know it'll move you the way it moved me. I've been overlooking a mention of other tracks on the album because of that song, but make no mistake, the other songs are also quality songs. If you're interested beyond "What If", be sure to check out "Sounds Like An Angel To Me" and "My Redemption", the title track. Overall, this is an excellent album by an excellent singer songwriter. It's well worth the purchase price (having to order it online) and you will not be disappointed if you thirst for good country in today's pop disguised as country world.

// 8