Jeff Beck Group Review

jeff beck: Jeff Beck Group
Released: 1972
Genre: Hard Rock, Rock Blues
Label: Epic
The Jeff Beck Group's self titled album was their second album with singer Bobby Tench and their fourth and final album all together.
 8.4
 7.8
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
Jeff Beck Group Reviewed by: guitaluva17, on june 23, 2009

Sound: The Jeff Beck Group's self titled album was their second album with singer Bobby Tench (he replaced Rod Stewart after the release of their second album, "Beck-Ola") and their fourth and final album all together. It was recorded and released in 1972. The album opens with the drum licks of Cozy Powell, who also played for Black Sabbath and Rainbow, on the tune "Ice Cream Cakes." It is an exceptional opening track to a great album. The following track is "Glad All Over," originally performed by The Dave Clark 5, which is a fast paced song, but one of my least favorites on the album. The third track is the amazing, bluesy "Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You," written by Bob Dylan. The vocals on this song are great and it is one of the highlights of the album. Having heard this version first, I find it way better than Dylan's version. The fourth track on the album is "Sugar Cane" which is another bluesy song, but nothing that impressive. "I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You," which is track number five, is the first instrumental song on the album and was originally recorded by Diana Ross. The sixth track is "Going Down," which is another graet highlight of the album. It's a soaring blues tune, originally performed by Freddie King. The seventh song on the album is "I Got to Have a Song," which was written by Stevie Wonder. It is a ballad-esqe song and is pretty enjoable. Track number eight, "Highways," opens with some amazing guitar licks by Jeff and slows down and lets the vocals smooth on in. It is an amazing track and one of my favorites from the album. The ninth and final track (also the second instrumental track) is "Definetely Maybe." I have to say, this is probably my favorite Jeff Beck song of all time. It's like he can make his guitar sing and have its own voice. It's is a highly emotional track, thanks not only to the guitar, but also the keyboards and drums. I'm sure this album has inspired many guitarists, myself included. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are nothing great. That's the problem when the Jeff Beck Group try and write their own words. They're not bad, but nothing that they wrote really stands out in my head. The best lyrics on the album are from the songs they covered. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a classic album and any classic rock fan should like it. It seems other blues-based bands get credit for their music like Zeppelin and the Who, but the Jeff Beck Group never really got that. My favorite songs on the album are "Tonight I'll Be Staying," "Highways," and "Definitely Maybe." Some songs tend to bore me though, such as "Glad All Over" and "Sugar Cane." This is my second favorite Jeff Beck album next to "Blow by Blow." If it were lost or stolen, I would buy it back within a week or two. // 9

More Jeff Beck reviews rating latest review