Jeff Beck With The Jan Hammer Group Live Review

Label: Epic Records
 8.9
 7.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Jeff Beck With The Jan Hammer Group Live Reviewed by: EC_AL_JH_GH, on january 29, 2010

Sound: A live album recorded on Jeff Beck's "Wired" tour, this captures Beck during his most influential period of Jazz Rock. As the title suggests, Jeff's backing group on this tour is the Jan Hammer Group (For those of you who don't know, Jan Hammer was the keyboard player for John McLaughlin's "Mahavishnu Orchestra"). There are four songs that Jeff recorded and three that the Jan Hammer group recorded. Surprisingly, two of the Jan Hammer tunes have vocals which, unfortunately, are the weakest points of this record. Its not that the vocals are terrible, but they aren't up to par with the rest of the record. The musicianship otherwise though, is brilliant, with almost all the musicians playing at the top of their game. While most people will focus on Jeff's playing, it's also a treat to hear both Jan Hammer (Keyboards and Synth) and Steve Kindler (Violin). Both are talented musicians, and excellent soloists. // 9

Lyrics: There are only two tracks in the entire record with vocals, and as I mentioned above, are also the two weakest tracks. Oddly enough (for me at least) both tunes are stylistically almost Funk and R&B influenced tunes. So, the singing style is very similar to R&B. Which is by no means a problem, it just seems out of place on the record. Both the songs also deal with the Universe. Unfortunately, it is difficult to figure out the lyrics, due to low microphone volume, and too much reverb. // 6

Overall Impression: While I have seen many reviewers slag this record, I think it is well done, and it's nice to hear Jeff when he was in the middle of his Jazz Fusion period. For many people I would recommend this and Jeff's previous two albums (Blow by Blow, and Wired) for a good start into Jazz Fusion, as this is far more straight forward than many other Fusion records. As I have previously mentioned, the only weak points of this record are its two vocal tunes. However, all the other tunes are brilliant arranged and performed. If this record was lost or stolen, I would indeed buy it again. // 8

More Jeff Beck reviews rating latest review