Myself In Two Review

Jen Hirsh: Myself In Two
Released: Mar 1, 2011
Genre: Singer-Songwriter, Pop-Rock
Label: Self-released
There had been an influx of female artists entering the pop/rock scene over recent years and vocalist Jen Hirsh is eager to enter the race. The songs emanate bright hues in the guitar's timbres and the bass lines producing a congenial folk-pop finish without sugar-coating the tracks.
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Myself In Two Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on may 17, 2011

Sound: There had been an influx of female artists entering the pop/rock scene over recent years and vocalist Jennifer Hirsh is eager to enter the race. The Berklee College of Music graduate makes her debut with her self-released recording "Myself In Two". Produced by Max Coane (Something Corporate, Jack's Mannequin) and featuring songs written by Adam Tressler, "Myself In Two" merges soulful folk with contemporary pop creating a hybrid coiffed with the coffeehouse vibe of Colbie Caillat and the catchy upbeat stride of Leerone. Wispy tendrils of violins that silhouette "You Know Me Too Well" provide Hirsh's vocals with an airy landscape, and transform into Spanish-tinged shakers and springy acoustic timbres flanking "The Better Half". The songs are immaculately polished keeping the tempos modulated to a coasting cadence. The fluid guitar riffs in "Faster" exude a breezy folk atmospheric blanketed in vibrating bass lines and light tambourine shimmies. The chugging momentum of "More Than We Bargained For" is harnessed in pumping bass pulls, which switches to a funky pop groove in "Big Picture". Kyle Patrick sings vocal harmony on "I Won't Hold My Breath" while seraphim textured strings halo his and Hirsh's vocals. Patrick Warren's keyboards place dangling chimes along the fringes of "Finish Line" as Hirsh's vocals weave into the melody's curves. // 8

Lyrics: The songs stick in the listener's mind, many times because Hirsh repeats a lyric a number of times like in "Scissors And Soap" when she insists, "I'll wash the glue off of my hands so I can let you go." Other times, the lyrics stick because they penetrate the listener emotionally like in "Room So Big" when she laments, "How would we get to the end / I believe what you said to me / Our love is like a room so big you'll never have to leave / Why would we leave when we have everything we need / My darling, I agree... we both know there is a front door that opens and closes... so we could look out for the end." The chorus parts in the ballad build up to a bright crescendo and then recede in the outro mirroring the emotions behind the words. // 8

Overall Impression: The songs emanate bright hues in the guitar's timbres and the bass lines producing a congenial folk-pop finish without sugar-coating the tracks. Hirsh's vocals have an attractive pitch reminiscent of Patty Griffin complimented by a soft fluidity reflective of Mindy Smith. Hirsh's music is ripe for one of Starbuck's compilation discs alongside Griffin and Smith making "Myself In Two" stylized for coffeehouse audiences. // 8

Comments