Perfecting Loneliness Review

8.9
 9.7
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Perfecting Loneliness Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 25, 2003

Overall Impression: Everyone I know is split between Jets to Brazil's first two albums. You either love Orange Rhyming Dictionary or Four Cornered Night but never both. I'm partial to Four Cornered Night myself, feeling that it was a great album that could've just have easily been a John Lennon solo record. Luckily for me, Jets to Brazil's latest offering, Perfecting Loneliness, stays along this path whereas Four Cornered Night was a fairly straight-ahead production with the addition of piano and keyboards to give the album a new sound from Orange Rhyming Dictionary, Perfecting Loneliness uses many more production tricks, such as adding vocal effects to the mix. Perfecting Loneliness is a long album. Blake Swartzenbach has said that this record could've just as easily been two smaller records. My favorite song on this album is easily track six, "Wish List," in which Blake confesses that he's just adding another line to his wish list. Overall, Perfecting Loneliness doesn't feel quite as personal as Four Cornered Night. There is an extra layer that is apparent both in the production and vagueness of the lyrics. The subject matter for these songs is still dark and focuses mostly on the sadder side of relationships. Having listened to this album a number of times, I have to say that it has grown on me. While it lacks the immediate emotional impact that I felt on Four Cornered Night, it still has moments of greatness. Jets to Brazil are a strong band that is growing. That's not something a lot of other bands can claim. // 8

Comments