Are You Experienced Review

jimi hendrix: Are You Experienced
Released: May 12, 1967
Genre: Psychedelic Rock, Hard Rock, Blues, Rhythm and Blues
Label: Track
"Are You Experienced" is the debut album by the rock band the Jimi Hendrix Experience.
 Lyrics: 8.4
 9.5
 9.3
 9.7
Are You Experienced Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 27, 2004

Sound: Thers a lot of acid rock and blues in this album. The sound is really cool Jimi hendrix is the master!!! He uses effects like the octavia and the wah wah pedal and the whammy bar on his guitar. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were very good. listen to purple haze,highway chile, wind cries mary, red house, fire, are you experienced. The lyrics with the music sounded awesome cause jimi hendrix can make the guitar talk. Hendrix is a good singer. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a very good album. The songs I like the most is purple haze,highway chile, wind cries mary, red house, fire, are you experienced. I love this album I listened to this album when I was 9 and it changed my life. if it was stolen i'd buy another one. It is worth it it has 17 songs. Go get it now!!! // 10

Are You Experienced Reviewed by: Jimi1, on november 26, 2005

Sound: Jimi Hendrix is a frikkin genuis. The first time I heard this album it blew me the hell away. On this album he created sounds no one ever thought humanly possible. For me the moment Jimi sung "Lately things don't seem the same" at the beginning of Purple Haze set the record straight for the whole album because things never would be the same. Not to mention Mitch Mitchells awesome rhythm. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were all right. But c'mon honestly. There could be no lyrics and it really would not matter. With Jimis awesome lead guitar it really doesnt make a difference. There could be no lyrics and I really would not give a crap. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definetly one of the best recordings of all time. This album changed guitar forever. And Jimi is one of the greatest artists of all time. This album changed my life forever. // 10

Are You Experienced Reviewed by: eggy1991, on january 04, 2006

Sound: Hendrix is without a doubt the greatest guitarist of all time, which easily shows on the album Experience Hendrix: the greatest hits, it shows him at his all time best with amazing tracks such as Voodoo Child (Slight Return) Purple Haze, Foxy Lady, Hey Joe etc. Jimi uses his rock style and guitar effects plenty in the album and he manages to include his amazing solos. simply a great sound on the entire album! // 10

Lyrics: Well I didn't really buy the CD for the sake of the lyrics, but more to play my guitar along to, but I found myself playing my guitar and singing the lyrics to it, which is fair enough really, the only thing with the lyrics is you can't hear them in purple haze very well. The lyrics used are very good though I must admit, and they fit with the drums and guitar very well. And of course, we all know jimi is a great singer and guitarist! // 9

Overall Impression: I'm not going to compare any of Jimi Hendrix's music to any other artist I know of because quite frankly, I can't, he is the only guitarist/singer I know of his style. So it would be almost impossible to compare it to anyone else. The songs that impress me the most are probobally Foxy Lady, Voodoo Child (Slight Return), Hey Joe and Purple Haze. Those are my personal favourites, but the rest of the songs are still amazing! I dont hate anything about the album, well, I am not the biggest fan of track 20, but I'll live with it. I love the whole ablum other than that! If my Hendrix album was stolen, I'd hunt down the thief and get it back, or if I couldnt I'd have to go buy it again. // 10

Are You Experienced Reviewed by: NY773, on july 18, 2007

Sound: Jimi Hendrix arrived in London in October of 1966, and Chas Chandler immediately got him in the studio to record his first single, "Hey Joe", with the B-side "Stone Free." That's how rock's most important debut album started. Hendrix was perfectly matched up with jazz drummer Mitch Mitchell and rock guitarist-turned-bassist Noel Redding to form the Jimi Hendrix Experience. The Experience were brilliant in their debut, as they would be for the next 3 years. Their sound, especially for 1967, were highly advanced. Jimi used his knowledge of the blues and his loud Fender Stratocaster plugged into an overdriven Marshall amplifier to create an entirely different genre, something that may be categorized as psychedelic blues. We see the debut of the octavio effects pedal on the solo and outro of "Purple Haze", Jimi's most well-known track and the first track heard on this record. // 9

Lyrics: Jimi's psyched-out lyrics are very spacey and progressive, or at least they were at the time this record came out. He uses colors to describe his emotions, and he employs a lot of symbolism. The lyrics, especially on tracks like "May This Be Love", "Foxey Lady", and "Fire", go well with the music. Jimi Hendrix wasn't the best singer in the world, as he once said (paraphrasing here), "If Bob Dylan can do it, I can too." However, his singing matches with the emotion of his lyrics perfectly on most tracks, like "Red House". // 8

Overall Impression: There's little doubt about it: this is Jimi's finest overall rock and roll outing. Some would say "Electric Ladyland", which came out in 1968, was his best overall record in terms of sound and lyrics. But when it comes right down to it, "Are You Experienced?" is the stylistic base of everything that Jimi would do from that point forward. He drove away from pure rock with "Axis: Bold as Love" and "Ladyland", and still made some great music. The most impressive songs on this album include "Fire", when Mitch Mitchell's drumming is at its best, and the title track, "Are You Experienced?", an important song in the psychedelic landscape. I love that this album is just pure Experience. He uses very little overdubbing, a technique that he would later utilize to great extent on the aforementioned albums. I don't really hate anything about it. There's nothing to hate about it. It's electric blues or rock and roll or psychedelia. It's whatever you want to call it. It is kind of a mixture of all those things. If it were stolen or lost, I would most definitely buy it again. Everyone should own this album, or at least listen to it all the way through just one time. // 10

Are You Experienced Reviewed by: JackWhite333, on july 22, 2009

Sound: A flawless album by Mr. Hendrix. The album opens with a fuzzy guitar with "Purple Haze" one of Hendrix's most famous songs. A true classic, every instrument shines out in their own way, and the guitar riffs are as beautifully crafted as any song we have come to expect from Hendrix. By the time Manic Depression roars in, the band has already captured your full attention, and will not let go. Jimi's solos especially are some of the greatest by any guitarist, making them very difficult to master. Are You Experienced? was a true evolution for music upon release, and it has never been the same since. // 10

Lyrics: Jimi's lyrics tell of all sorts of experiences, and many are quite famous. The storytelling in Hey Joe lets you take a look into Jimi's mind, like no other song could do. His soul vocals on songs like "May This Be Love" and "Love Or Confusion" stand out from the rest of the album which has fiercer vocals on tracks such as "Fire" and "Stone Free". Jimi is a great singer in my opinion, and his voice sounds truly great on the entire album expressing all the emotions necesary to make us feel his emotions when writing these lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: The Jimi Hendrix Experience's Are You Experience, is one of the most influential and important albums of the entire classic rock genre. Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding not only one of the best rhythm sections of all time, but also of all of classic rock. And, if you didn't know how great of a guitarist Jimi Hendrix is, you shouldn't even be on this website. His playing is nearly magical on this album, as expected of a legened such as him. My favorite tracks are the legendary "Purple Haze" and "Hey Joe", the loud and raunchy "Fire" and "Foxy Lady" and last but not least, the true blues song, "Red House". If you have not heard this album, you must go out and buy it immediatly! It remains one of my all-time favorite albums for many years, and I'm sure you would love it as well. // 10

Are You Experienced Reviewed by: JH013, on january 28, 2004

Sound: This is Jimi's debut album and is Hendrix in his least experimental stage. This album has a much more blues-rock feel to it than his later albums. "Are You Experienced?" is an extremely innovational album and one of the greatest of all time. Jimi's guitar playing is outstanding. // 10

Lyrics: Hendrix's lyrics are not very strong, for the most part, on this album. Later in his career, he worked on writing lyrics more, but at this stage in his career the lyrics were nothing too spectacular. // 6

Overall Impression: Essential album for any fan of good music. The best songs are "Red House", "Are You Experienced?", "Remember", and "The Wind Cries Mary". I recommend this to anyone... it's simply a beautiful, soulful album but at the same time rockin' and badass. // 10

Are You Experienced Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 24, 2005

Sound: The late but insanly great Jimi Hendix has the most incredible sound with a guitar. He has explored the sounds that can be made with a guitar and taken it a whole new level. With his song Exp, he shows what he can do with just feedback and such. His pedal work in Up From The Skies is pretty cool. This is definatly one of his best albums of all time. But every album has something that isn't so hot, I think some of his songs on this is kinda just blah, like she's so fine. Not the best thing on the album but the others make up for it. // 10

Lyrics: Jimi Hendrix's lyrics are great. He gets his point across with out having to state it in black and white. The music grows and moves along with the music, Hendrix makes the lyrics and music one and molds both to his will. He truly was a master. Again She's so fine I find quite blah for lyrics but it didn't ruin any of my pleasure of this album. // 10

Overall Impression: This album blew me away. It was phenominal. Some songs were kinda blah but others, like Castles Made Of Sand, Up From The Skies, and Bold As Love were just great. If this album was lost or stolen I wouldn't even look for it, I'd just go and buy it again. // 10

Are You Experienced Reviewed by: patbuck2, on february 25, 2011

Sound: The sound of The Jimi Hendrix Experience on this album is that of a new band who sound like they are on to something good. What I like about this album is that it has a great feeling that it's not all about Jimi and it reminds you that you are listening to an band, not just a guitarist. I like that this album has some great rhythms and "riffs" by Jimi along with some great soloing to top the songs off. While there is no denying that Jimi Hendrix was a fantastic rock guitar soloist who probably perfected the style, I must say that I am particularly fond of some of Jimi's chord progressions and main song riffs. You can really get the idea that Jimi likes to experiment with sounds. He likes to make all kinds of crazy noises and squeals with his instrument. Along with that, Noel and Mitch are spot on and tight, carrying the listener into another world for just a little while to relax and enjoy the sounds... and the sights. // 8

Lyrics: I've never really thought too much of Jimi Hendrix's lyrics or singing skills. I don't think Jimi is a wonderful singer by any means, but I think he knew what he was good at and stuck with it as far as singing. He has a deep, masculine voice that explain and fittingly accompany the eb tuning on the guitars. The lyrics on this album seem to generally about one of two things: women and drugs. All the individual subjects stem from those two things. The drug induced psychedelic trips into another world are created by the mood set by the music, Jimi's smooth voice, and the descriptions of various "groovy" experiences. I wouldn't necessarily consider the lyrics on Are You Experienced to be sophisticated or deep, but they act as a great compliment to the music. // 6

Overall Impression: I think that in comparison to Axis: Bold as Love and Electric Ladyland, this album is quite a different animal. I feel like this album creates an image of an entirely different band than the other two do. This one seems more heavily rooted in the blues than the later ones do. I would say the most impressive songs from the album are Purple Haze, Hey Joe, The Wind Cries Mary, and Foxy Lady. I love both Jimi's cleaner and more soothing guitar playing and his rip-roaring, rocking out, fuzz-laced jamming on the guitar. I love the overall band feeling of this album. What isn't top notch is the lyrics necessarily. They aren't too bad, but I described how I felt above. I also honestly find 3rd Stone From the Sun to be one of the most boring tracks he produced. Overall, this album is a great listen and I would recommend it as the first album one should listen to when they want to get into Hendrix. // 8

More Jimi Hendrix reviews rating latest review