Axis: Bold As Love Review

jimi hendrix: Axis: Bold As Love
Released: 1967
Genre: Rock
Styles: Album Rock, Blues-Rock, Hard Rock, Psychedelic, Acid Rock
When the Experience recorded their second album, they were in the process of solidfying their international stardom.
 9.5
 9.3
 9.7
Axis: Bold As Love Reviewed by: jolsen383, on september 22, 2004

Sound: Hendrix's second album, Axis: Bold As love is a masterpiece. While are you experienced has songs played on the radio, Bold As Love does not. But if you appreciate Hendrix as a guitarist, this album is for you. The guitar has a much different tone than in Are You Experienced, but I think it sounds much better. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are Hendrix's best. The standout song lyric wise would have to be "Castles Made Of Sand. " Another great lyrical performance is "Little Wing, " with its lyrics perfectly fitting the mood of the song. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is an incredible guitar album. My personal favorite song is "Little Wing." It has an incredible solo. Even though it's a mere 45 seconds long, you know what Hendrix is trying to say. Some other good songs on this album are "Spanish Castle Magic," "Castles Made Of Sand," and "Bold As Love." If you appreciate Hendrix more for his guitar work than anything else, go buy this. // 10

Axis: Bold As Love Reviewed by: TJM2482, on november 08, 2007

Sound: I don't think there's much in terms of a story behind it, I mean it's no concept album of the likes of Coheed & Cambria or Pink Floyd's The Wall. It's a straightforward psychedelic rock album, as you would come to expect from Jimi Hendrix and his band. This album mixes up the steady paced rock tunes and the slower mellow songs that give you a well rounded spectrum of the Hendrix experience. Little Wing, one of his more famous songs, is on this album, among a couple other underrated hits. I myself didn't really like the slower tunes, I would have much rather have heard more of the upbeat rock songs and more of Hendrix's frantic improv-style soloing. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics themselves are solid. Hendrix is a man of imagination so you'll come to hear some genuinely cool and interesting stuff on this album. Not all of it makes sense, but that's half of the Hendrix magic. Hendrix is both a singer and a guitarist, so a lot of songs sound like the guitar parts and vocal melodies correspond, and then break away in some parts, or vocals drop out completely for a few seconds for a small few-second solo. // 8

Overall Impression: It's a solid Hendrix album, but to me it doesn't stack up with Electric Ladyland. My favorites from this record include Little Wing, Spanish Castle MAgic, and If 6 Was 9. I love the raw sound of the Experience, but I hate the sometimes pointless vocals from the other members of the band, which to be honest, sounds like crap and out of place. // 8

Axis: Bold As Love Reviewed by: hippytom, on january 26, 2008

Sound: Hendrix's sound on this album is phenomenal. Before hearing this album, I had never really opened my ears. Like most of Hendrix's material, you have to listen through a few times to get a feel for the album. Hendrix would go into the recording studio, and record straight for four hours, before coming out of the booth and listening to what he had recorded. He introduced some monster effects to the world with this album. He even recorded a solo and had it played backwards on 'Castles Made Of Sand'. // 10

Lyrics: Hendrix's lyrics, as usual, make no sense if you take them at face value. You have to listen to them properly, and take into perspective how he's playing his guitar. Hendrix, what with playing and singing, seems to incorporate the two into the vocals, sometimes letting the guitar do all that is necessary. Of course the lyrics fit with the music, this is Hendrix we're talking about. He had the awesome ability to sing and play very well at the same time, though he always believed he couldnt sing, and refused to for a lot of his early career. // 10

Overall Impression: I personally think this is the best Hendrix album ever made. It beats the commercialism of Electric Ladyland hands down. This album was an eye opener to me. It allowed to me appreciate music on a greater level. My favourite tracks on the album are 'Castles made of Sand', 'One Rainy Wish', and 'Little Miss Lover'. I love how this album just seems to work, especially when, at first glance, it appears to be a mismatch of material starting with that very strange introduction 'exp', and finally getting round to 'bold as love'. I don't especially hate anything about this album, apart from the way that I know people who own the album and only listen to 'Little Wing' and 'If 6 Was 9'. If this album were stolen or lost, I would go straight out and buy it again in a heartbeat. It's one of those albums you can listen to over and over, and you'll pick up on something new everytime. This album will never get boring. // 10

Axis: Bold As Love Reviewed by: patbuck2, on march 01, 2011

Sound: I love The Jimi Hendrix Experience's sound on Axis: Bold as Love. This is my favorite album by the band. This album has some of my favorite songs that Jimi made with the band. On Jimi's part, I love the guitar rhythms and lead playing on this album. Also, his lyrics are actually quite dynamic and artful on this album. Mitch and Noel also are right in there, holding their own on this album with some nice bass riffs and tight drumming. This album has some of Jimi's best guitar playing and tone, in my opinion. I absolutely love the clean tones on some of the songs on this album and the use of fuzz, wah, and uni-vibe quite well to add a nice effect to the songs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are, in my opinion, some of Hendrix's best. I don't think that Jimi particularly excels in lyrics, but they are actually quite good on this album and better than the previous album. As far as singing skills, they're the same deep and masculine vocals that Jimi always produced. And that's just fine. He may not be the best singer, but his voice compliments the music well. A song with great lyrics is Bold as Love. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said before, this is my favorite album by The Jimi Hendrix Experience in practically every aspect. The most impressive songs from this album are Spanish Castle Magic, Little Wing, If 6 Was 9, Castles Made of Sand, and Bold as Love. What I love most about this album is Jimi's guitar tone. Especially his clean tone. It's so beautiful. His fuzz tone is also creamy and just as fuzz should sound. There's not too much I don't like about this album. I do think that some of the songs are unnecessary filler, but the album is already short as it is anyway. I would recommend this to anyone getting into Jimi Hendrix and as a general recommendation to classic rock aficionados like myself. // 9

More Jimi Hendrix reviews rating latest review