Band Of Gypsys Review

9.4
 9.2
 9.6
Band Of Gypsys Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 01, 2005

Sound: The sound is great. The fist song he does has two exceptional guitar solos. Me being a guitarist my self, this CD is my biggest influence when I play. Power Of Soul is the second song on the CD. The begining is so crazy in a good way. He uses the whammy bar so good in it. You can really see where Steve Ray Vaughn got his influence from. Machine Gun, I was at loss of words when I first the guitar solo for it. It starts with this really high note around the 15th, 17th fret and then goes into amazing guitar work. The third song is with Buddy Miles singing (also doing the drumming in all the songs) his song Changes. The song proves that Jimi with a wah peddle was amazing. Message To Love is a song Jimi made. It has great opening notes, and then there is We Gotta Live Together. Buddy Miles is sing in this song too. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are good. Jimi and Buddy Miles arnt just good at what they play but also at song writting. The singing abillity is ok. In Machine Gun Jimi's voice sortof cracks a little, but the actual lyrics are so powerfull. At the end of Machine Gun Buddy goes, "wooooooooooo, wooooooooo" over and over again as the song slows down. It makes the song even more powerfull. // 9

Overall Impression: Go out and by this CD now, if you don't already have it. It is my favorite CD. That's all I have to say. // 10

Band Of Gypsys Reviewed by: DistortionDemon, on january 04, 2006

Sound: Recorded live at the Fillmore East on New Years Eve, 1969-70, Band of Gypsys (Gypsies, whatever) is Jimi Hendrix playing guitar, Buddy Miles on bass, and Billy Cox on drums. The concert was a year's-end gathering at the Fillmore with this trio. The actual sound of the music is awesome. The atmosphere the music generates is one of energy, and overall the disc is a pleasure to listen to. The trio work very well together in thier own musical aspects, with Jimi's soaring leads and Billy's driving beats, and Buddy Miles' rhythm work on bass is clearly audible, and a fundamental part of the music. There are 6 tracks on this CD. 01. Who Knows - a Hendrix original. Killer opening riff, awesome tone. About 9 minutes long, never gets boring. 02. Machine Gun - another Hendrix original. Another good guitar song. However, at 12 minutes long, this could be quoted as "an extended version". There are some parts in the song where you just might feel a pang of boredom. But, as with any long song, it happens. Still a great track. 03. Changes - a piece from Buddy Miles, a good song with multiple layers of music going on at once. A good track. 04. Power To Love - a Hendrix track. Not a outstanding track, but worth a listen. Good guitar work near the end. 05. Message To Love - this is where you just might feel like skipping. This is the only track on the CD that I don't want to listen to. Hendrix wrote it especially for the concert, but I'm not so sure he did a good job of it. It's up to the listener's ear, anyway. 06. We Gotta Live Together - a Miles composition. Great track. The overall compositional work in this song is great. The guitar, drums, and bass all work in conjunction perfectly. Awesome music, also one of the CD's big highlights. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, well, they're pretty good. However, most of the CD is based around instrumental prowess, and the lyrics aren't anything to make you go "Whoa, dude!" The guitar work, however, is. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this CD is a great listen for fans of Hendrix, fans of rock music, or guitarists in general. Even if you don't like Hendrix's music (dreadful taste if so), this CD is worth a listen. Compared to other works by Hendrix, this CD is a great buy. However, if you're looking for a "first Hendrix CD", I wouldn't recommend this until you get a little better accustomed to Hendrix's electrical awesomeness. I love the guitar tone, and the overall skill the musicians have in the musical sense. However, the only thing I don't really like about the CD is that some of the songs are very long for the content. Machine Gun, clocking in at 12 minutes is a great song, but I'm sure anyone would tire of it after a while. If it was stolen, I'd buy another. If I didn't find and bludgeon the thief to death. With a rubber chicken. But enough blabbering, go out and buy Hendrix - Band Of Gypsys! // 10

Band Of Gypsys Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 10, 2004

Sound: This is Hendrix unncomerical, bluesy soulful music, just him and his guitar. If you are expecting anything even like "Foxy Lady" or "Purple Haze" run away, this is all blues. His guitar innovations on the epic "Machine Gun" especially have never been matched. The recording of this never has been all that good though based on the live atmosphere, so thats the only reason I am taking of points. // 8

Lyrics: Hmm, lyrics, not really what this album is based around. "Machine Gun" is heart felt and has a good message about what it would feel like to be in the Veitnam War. "Evil man, he make me kill you, evil man, make you kill me, even though we're only families apart".... "I know all the time your wrong baby, and you'll be going just the same, three times the pain, so let your bullets fly like rain." Beautiful. "Message to Love" has a great message, a well written song about aspiring to your goals and beliefs. "Power of Soul" is a good little blues number about not getting too high on drugs. "Changes" and "We've got to live together" are Buddy Miles soulful outputs, and "Who knows" well who knows what those lyrics are about. Not why I love this album but certainly not bad. // 8

Overall Impression: This is my favorite Hendrix album, it is him, at his most soulful, bluesy, and raw. This is what it sounds like to rip your heart out and play it through a guitar. I can not recomend this album enough to anybody who loves feeling in their music. The guitar playing on this album seems to be almost all adlibbed and just shows his genius. 6 blues masterpeices to me, throw in "Red House" and "Hear my Train a Comin" from other albums and there was no reason for anybody to play the blues again. This album is it done to perfection. Definitely worth buying. // 10

Band Of Gypsys Reviewed by: patbuck2, on march 03, 2011

Sound: First of all, I will say that this album is a great, but very short, live album. As far as the band's sound on this album, all three of them sound great on it. Jimi's guitar tone, rhythm and lead playing all sound fantastic. This is probably Jimi's tone at its best. Billy Cox is tight in the mix. Buddy Miles' drumming is powerful, like a machine gun (no pun intended), and his vocals are a nice change to Jimi Hendrix's. This band is very tight live. They put together some great songs for this album. The songs come from a huge list of 4 shows. Even if it is short, the songs on this album are some great ones. // 10

Lyrics: Of Jimi Hendrix's other lyrics from other albums, I would actually say that this album has some pretty good ones. They are some simple, rock n' roll lyrics in there, but there are also some deeper lyrics. The lyrics of the songs compliment the band's sound on this album. Jimi's singing is the same deep and masculine voice as before, complimenting his rhythm guitar playing. Buddy Miles' vocals are a nice change of pace when they appear. // 8

Overall Impression: Seeing as this is a live album, I hate to compare it to the studio releases of The Jimi Hendrix Experience. On one hand, I rank this album as high because it has great songs on it. As I mention in other reviews, I am annoyed by weak filler songs that bands throw in to make the album longer. I usually skip over a few songs after a few listens to get to the songs I really like on the album. I don't really skip over any of the songs on this album. They are all great, in my opinion. This album is short, but it packs a punch and that's because it lacks any poor filler. It's all good songs. I would say this is a great live album and I would recommend it along with Axis: Bold as Love to anyone trying to get into Jimi Hendrix and to any classic rock buff. The most impressive songs on this album are Who Knows and Machine Gun. What I love about this album is the great live sound of all three of the members and the cool new songs on it. What I don't like is that some of it is cut down from the original concerts, getting rid of some of the nice little in-between songs commentary of Jimi. Overall, this is a great album and worth a few listens. // 9

More Jimi Hendrix reviews rating latest review