Electric Ladyland Review

jimi hendrix: Electric Ladyland
Released: Apr 22, 1997
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock
Electric Ladyland should be in you're collection especially if you're a Hendrix fan or collector, but not for the starter.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 9.4
 9.1
 9.7
Electric Ladyland Reviewed by: jacretin, on september 27, 2004

Sound: On no other studio album is Jimi Hendrix's vision more clear and pronounced. Hendrix had weathered the commercial pitfalls of recording overseas and in America. Hendrix knew what he "heard" in his head and this album gives the listener a window into that realm. Working mainly with his trusted accomplice, Eddie Kramer, Hendrix stretches the music to its limits and beyond. As on Are You Experienced and Axis: Bold As Love, he continues his experiments with tape loops to set a tone of otherworldly exploration. He then slams us back to reality with a sonic assault of the shattering Crosstown Traffic. Hendrix defines "Acid Rock" with explorations in 1983 and, Moon, Turns The Tides. He ably demonstrates his R&B roots from the years playing with King Curtis and Little Richard among others with raveups of Come On, and Long Hot Summer Night. Hendrix defines electric blues throughout the album but to most devasting effect on both versions of Voodoo Chile, and Voodoo Child (Slight Return). Jazz improvisation is given a thorough exploration on both of the Rainy Day entries. Hendrix was clearly in his element and exploring every facet of music that caught his fancy. // 10

Lyrics: Jimi Hendrix's lyrics are often overlooked. This is understandable in light of his overwhelming musical capabilities. However, many of his lyrics stand on their own as the pure poetry of the soul. On no other album prior to or after this album does Hendrix bare his heart so boldly. Examine the wonderful meshing of the wronged lover in Crosstown Traffic with the scorching musical lines. Burning Of The Midnight Lamp finds Hendrix broken hearted and in lyrical search to understand why (The smiling portrait of you, still hangs on my frowning wall, It really doesn't bother me, too much at all that forgoten earing left on the floor/facing coldly toward the door) all the while he suprises us with a harpsichord doubling his teasing guitar line to underscore the message "I continue, to burn the midnight lamp, alone" Even with lyrics not of his own creation, as in All Along The Watch Tower, Hendrix so beautifully interweaves the magic of his guitar with Bob Dylan's words that the song's definitive version has become Hendrix's by default. Never a true singer, but more a song stylist; Hendrix's vocal talents on some songs do not convey the message that his lyrics and musical prowess imply. There are some very intimate moments on this album, though. Rainy Day, Dream Away and the aforementioned Burning of the Midnight Lamp show a very sensitive Hendrix able to convey all the pain and wonderment necessary. On the blues and R&B material Hendrix vocal styles comes to the fore and best represents his ability to thoroughly entertain while retaining the edge of a live peformance. // 10

Overall Impression: Clearly this was and remains Hendrix's penultimate album. This album has legendary status among guitarists and should be included in any music fan's collection. Without doubt it is demonstrating Jimi Hendrix's mastery over the studio and his instrument. This album is the one to which all real guitar oriented albums must be compared. It definitely is the standard by which others should be measured. While it contains a few songs that may have been excluded (And The Gods Made Love; Little Miss Strange), songs like Gypsy Eyes, House Burning Down and Voodoo Child (Slight Return) grow in stature with each replaying. There was a time when I only would test my stereo equipment after a move or an upgrade with this album. My devotion to its power and glory is such that I have owned it in every format it has ever been available in, a claim I can only make for this album. While clearly moving beyond the "pop star" hits that were evident in the earlier albums, Hendrix retains an accessability thoroughout this album many contemporaries have been hard pressed to duplicate. // 10

Electric Ladyland Reviewed by: black_sabbath, on january 16, 2006

Sound: The ultimate Jimi experience by far. Well, breathtaking songs like Voodoo Child (Slight Return), and All Along The Watchtower among almost the whole album. This album has some of the finest guitar solos, intro's you name it. If one wants to just sit down, close their eyes and listen to a guitar speaking louder than anything, this is the album. A Masterpiece created by someone who can only be a genius. Hendrix, in this album proves why he is called the greatest guitarist ever. Something that came to me as a suprise when I heard this album was that, Jimi is not only a great guitarist but he is also a great lyricist and vocalist. The powerful words and the mindblowing lead just defines this album. // 10

Lyrics: Well, I guess this was the surprise package everyone got. When one hears the name Jimi Hendrix, the first thoughts that come to you is the greatest guitarist. But, I think he is a brilliant lyricist too. The songs And The Gods Made Love, Voodoo Child and Burning Of The Midnight Lamp are lyrically great. I think his great guitaring abilities have overshadowed his rich voice. Jimi's voice is not the greatest but it has alot of meaning. The best part is that one could never say in any song of his that it doesn't go with the music. I guess, it's because he feels his guitar and music and just writes down the rhythym in words. Spectacular expression in his voice when he's singing it too. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the Jimi Hendrix album for all wannabe great guitarists and for all music lovers actually. The most amazing part about Jimi Hendrix albums is that, you cannot catagorize it. It's what I would call immortal. This album will have to be his best. I wish we could hear more albums from the maestro, but he unfortunately left us when he was perhaps at the peak of his career. Jimi was and will be Hendrix - the ultimate. This album is just a proof of his genius and is an album for all music lovers. It is the ABC of wizadry with the guitar. // 10

Electric Ladyland Reviewed by: Wolfmother_69, on february 16, 2006

Sound: This is, without doubht, Hendrix's best studio effort. All of the songs have a great bluesy rock sound, though some, such as And the gods made love, are rather pointless. It has some legendary songs, such as All along the watchtower and Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) that you can never get sick of, and always sound innovative, no matter how old they are. // 10

Lyrics: This is the album which shows that hendrix was not just a great guitarist, but also a very good song writer. Songs like The Burning Of The Midnight Lamp, are extremely well written and thought out, and other like Crosstown Traffic are really catchy. // 9

Overall Impression: This is one of the all time classic albums. All along the watchtower is perhaps the best song ever. There is nothong on this album to criticize, apart from the inclusion of the introductory song, which is a weak start to such a brilliant album. I would never hesiatate to buy it if I lost it. // 10

Electric Ladyland Reviewed by: darkside73, on april 12, 2005

Sound: Very diverse sound on this album. It ranges from blues/rock on tracks like 'Rainy Day, Dream Away' and 'Voodoo Chile', to strange sci-fi stuff like on 'Moon, Turn the Tides... Gently, Gently Away'. There's also the hard rocker "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" and an awesome track by written and sung by Noel Redding, Jimi's bass player. That's just a few tracks. // 8

Lyrics: Awsome lyrics to wrap your mind around, as always with Jimi. They vary depending on what song your listening to. Alot of the songs are about love/women. Then there's the rainy day song, the apply named 'Rainy Day, Dream Away' and an awsome song about the riots after MLK was assisinated called 'House Burning Down'. // 10

Overall Impression: This album really demonstrates how good of a writer Jimi was. The creativity on some of these songs (lyrically and musically) puts so many writers to shame it's not even funny. Definitely a must have for any Jimi fan. If I lost it, I would no doubt buy it again. // 10

Electric Ladyland Reviewed by: Lucha93, on july 02, 2007

Sound: I love the sound Henbdrix guitar has on All along the Watchtower. The intro gives me goosebumps. No joke. You can really hear his R&B influence on "Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland)" and "Rainy Day, Dream Away." The ending to the latter and the intro to "Still Raining, Still Dreaming" is the most awesome sound I have ever heard. I love the blues number "Voodoo Chile" besides "Hear My Train A'Coming" it is his best purely blues work. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to "1983... (A Merman I Shall Be)" are so trippy and they fit the tune so perfectly it's mind blowing. Voodoo Child (Slight Return) have some equally mesmerizing lyrics. Although his best lyrics are on songs on other albums, (namely Axis Bold As Love's songs "Little Wing" and "Bold As Love"), the lyrics throughout the album are equally brilliant. // 7

Overall Impression: Electric Ladyland is definitively Hendrix's best album ever. I love how many different styles are put into this one album, from the strange intro "...And the Gods Made Love" to the powerful ending statement of "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" this album shows Jimi's mastery of all styles. If you do not have this album run over to Best Buy or whatever and by it immediately. // 10

Electric Ladyland Reviewed by: Fitzpatrick, on april 16, 2009

Sound: This is Jimi Hendrix at his best. And the sound quality from this album is absolutely fantastic, very well produced and mixed, the sound quality enhances the feeling of songs like 'Voodoo Child (Slight Return), 'Rainy Day Dream Away' and 'Little Miss Strange'. To be honest, I think this album has the best sound quality out of all the CDs I own. Jimi plays some face melting solos on this album and his Stratocaster sounds fantastic. The drums are really good as well, Mitch Mitchell plays a cool solo in the song 'Voodoo Chile'. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were extremely well written, although sometimes you do not have a clue about what Hendrix is singing about, But there are some very catchy lines in some songs like 'Well I pick up all the pieces and make an island' and 'I stand up next to a mountain, and knock it down with the edge of my hand'. Jimi Hendrix is not my favorite singer of all time, but his vocal style really suit's this psychedelic and blues rock feel of the album. Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding do a good job on backing vocals on songs like 'Crosstown Traffic' and 'Little Miss Strange'. // 9

Overall Impression: Jimi Hendrix really changed the direction of music in the late 1960s. His rival artists were The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, but The Jimi Hendrix Experience created a whole new sound, making guitars do things that they'd never done before. The best songs on this album are 'Crosstown Traffic', 'Voodoo Chile', a Bob Dylan cover of 'All Along the Watchtower' and the almighty 'Voodoo Child (Slight Return). What I love about this album is that the sound quality is great and the guitar playing is like nothing else in that era. I hate some of the one minute instrumentals, '... And the Gods Made Love' and 'Moon, Turn the Tides... Gently Gently Away'. I don't know what it is about them but they just take up space and they are a waste of time in my opinion, but I suppose they are there to continue the feel of the album. But overall this is one hell of an album and it blew me away when I listened to it. // 9

Electric Ladyland Reviewed by: patbuck2, on march 02, 2011

Sound: My impression of the sound of Electric Ladyland by The Jimi Hendrix is as mixed as the musical collection on it. This album has some fantastic songs on it. But it also has some not so great songs that I find to be unnecessary filler, making the album longer than it needs to be. There are some great psychedelic tunes like Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland), Burning of the Midnight Lamp, 1983... (A Merman I Should Turn to Be), and Moon Turn the Tides... Gently Gently Away. There are also some great rocking out tunes like Crosstown Traffic, All Along the Watchtower, and Voodoo Child (Slight Return). There's also the epic blues masterpiece, Voodoo Chile. The rest the songs I wasn't too crazy about. Because the album has such an eclectic variety, it's hard to pinpoint it down and say that it's sound is great or not. I like some of them. Love some of them. Don't care for the rest. There's enough of them that I do like that tells me this album is great. The lead guitar playing on this album is phenomenal. Probably the best of Jimi's releases. Mitch and Noel are also tight and have some good moments from each. Because of the presence of some not so great songs in my opinion, I can't give it a perfect 10. Since I basically like half and don't like the other half, I would give it a straight 5. But I will add two points for great band cohesion and lead guitar playing. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album don't particularly stand out to me in any way. They aren't horrible, but I don't think they are great by any means. I find most of them uninteresting and I don't really pay much attention to them. It depends on the song though. Some of the more psychedelic and trans-like songs have better lyrics. Jimi's singing is the same as always, a deep and masculine voice to compliment the rhythm playing. // 6

Overall Impression: Compared to Are You Experienced and Axis: Bold as Love, I rate this as 3rd behind the other two with Axis first and Experienced second. Of course, Jimi only released a few albums, so 3rd isn't all too bad. And even though it is third, it has some fantastic music on it. The most impressive songs on this album, to me, are Voodoo Chile, Burning of the Midnight Lamp, 1983... (A Merman I Should Turn to Be), Moon Turn the Tides.... Gently Gently Away, and Voodoo Child (Slight Return). What I love about this album is the powerful lead guitar playing and the great songs on it. What I don't like is the not as good filler songs that drag the album on at points. Sometimes I skip most of the album to get to the songs I'm in the mood for at the time, which is what tends to happen with me when I am listening to an album with a variety of song types and moods as this one has. // 7

More Jimi Hendrix reviews rating latest review