Live At Woodstock Review

jimi hendrix: Live At Woodstock
Released: July 6, 1999
Genre: Rock
Styles: Rock & Roll, Blues-Rock, Hard Rock, Psychedelic, Album Rock
Listening to all of Live at Woodstock takes dedication and an active interest in the subtleties of Jimi's playing.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 9.1
 9.1
reviews (3) 1 comment vote for this album:
Live At Woodstock Reviewed by: jolsen383, on june 16, 2004

Sound: The sound is simply amazing. I have never heard a guitar sound anything like it does at this concert. Hendrix got sounds out of his guitar that were unheard of. A prime example of this is the Star Spangled Banner. // 10

Lyrics: Hendrix has a variety of songs on the album, so it has a variety of lyrics. They are all very good, and Hendrix continually talks about peace and love, which is what Woodstock was about. // 10

Overall Impression: This is Hendrix's finest performance. I have the DVD of Woodstock and The Isle of Wright, and I can tell you that Woodstock is better. The tone is much more alive and interesting, and the songs are more interesting. If you like Hendrix, go buy this now. The Best Songs are from Voodoo Child to the end. // 10

Live At Woodstock Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 25, 2005

Sound: The sound of this live double album ranges from excellent to average. Jimi himself apologizes for being out of tune after a sub-standard "Spanish Castle Magic." Hendrix's connects to blues roots through "Red House" and "Villanova Juction" as well as showcasing his incredible rock anthems such as "Purple Haze," "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" and "Jam Back At The House." While I find the majority of CD 1 slightly dreary (exceptions: "Lover Man" and "Jam Back At The House"), CD 2 really takes off, Hendrix's pioneering guitar effects creates a truly amazing performance, most notably "Star Spangled Banner," "Purple Haze" and "Villanova Junction." // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics were never Hendrix's forte and his singing is in all honesty woeful, but of course the reason you would like Hendrix is for his creative and legendary guitar talents. Some of the highlights on the double CD are the instrumentals, where Jimi can focus solely on his guitar pyrotechnics. // 6

Overall Impression: If you are any sort of Hendrix fan or appreciate exceptional guitar work, then buy this album, if only for CD 2. Listen to how Hendrix attempts to simulate bombs falling and exploding on the guitar solo "Star Spangled Banner" truly amazing stuff! Unfortunately, not the most polished of perfomances - some tracks are clearly unprepared, but nonetheless I would certainly buy this one again if it was lost. // 8

Live At Woodstock Reviewed by: guitarsolo_17, on may 06, 2006

Sound: Really Great. Sadly his conga players were mic'd quite badly so you couldn't hear them. Larry Lee (rhythm guitar) was quite out of tune in most songs. Couldn't honestly hear Billy Cox's backup singing but his bass playing was great, especially for only like two rehearsals. One real good thing though, Janie, Eddie Kramer, and John McDermott did really good job gettin rid of the out of tune stuff, and apparently two extra songs, they made it sound really good. // 9

Lyrics: Ok, we all know Jimi was no singer but the lyrics were quite good. And singin while playing lead guitar and solos is really sweet. Peace and happiness, and it's great that hes not being emo. // 10

Overall Impression: OK, best guitarist alive, kills about any other CD I've ever heard. Yes there were some problems 'cause it was live but its really amazing. Most impressive thing to me is improvising solos all the time and the 11-minute guitar solo during the 31-minute compilation of: Voodoo Child, Star Spangled Banner, Purple Haze, Woodstock Improv, and Villanova Junction. A little disappointed how he was apologizing all the time but then again I wasnt there so I cant say how great it was back then. dude, if this cd were stolen id buy it again anyday. // 10

More Jimi Hendrix reviews rating latest review