Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection Review

artist: jimi hendrix date: 06/26/2006 category: compact discs
jimi hendrix: Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection
Release Date: May 8, 2001
Label: MCA
Genres: Psychedelic Soul, Blues-Rock, Psychedelic, Hard Rock, Acid Rock, Album Rock
Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection is a great touchstone for anyone wishing to begin their Jimi Hendrix experience.
 8.4
 7.3
 9.5
review (1) 33 comments vote for this album:
Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection Reviewed by: Crash91, on june 26, 2006

Sound: Any Jimi Hendrix fan will have this album, it's great and it contains some of his greatest hits such as 'Voodoo Child', 'Purple Haze' and 'All Along The Watchtower'. There is a second disc which contains live songs played all over the world. On disc one, the opening track is 'Purple Haze'. It's not a bad track to start off with, but I would've prefered 'Voodoo Child' as the opening track. However, I am not paritculary satisfied with the sound of some of the songs on this album. Songs like 'Burning Of The Midnight Lamp' and 'Are You Experienced?' don't sound great at all. Then again, I'm not a Jimi Hendrix fan. On disc two, the live songs were played brilliantly. Despite some of the poor tracks on this album, it's not a bad album. // 7

Lyrics: If you listen to a Jimi Hendrix song, you don't normally take notice of the lyrics. You would normally concentrate on his music. The lyrics are not bad, neither his singing skills, but it's his music that really counts. // 8

Overall Impression: If you can play every single track on this album, then you must be a guitar god. Jimi Hendrix is an unbelieveable guitarist and probably is the greatest of all time. But there are questions about who is better out of Jimi Hendrix or Joe Satriani. I'm not really sure who is a better guitarist, but I prefer Joe Satriani's music. The most impressive songs on this album are 'Hey Joe', 'All Along The Watchtower' and 'Voodoo Child'. What I like about it was that all songs contained good guitar riffs. It was just a shame that some of the songs didn't make success. If this album got stolen/lost, I'm wouldn't be sure whether to buy it again or not. To end this review, 'Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection' is not a bad album, but if you're a massive fan of his, you'll love this album! // 7

More Jimi Hendrix reviews rating latest review