Bleed American Review

jimmy eat world: Bleed American
Released: Jul 18, 2001
Genre: Alternative Rock, Emo, Pop Punk
Label: Dreamworks, Geffen
"Bleed American" is the fourth studio album by Jimmy Eat World.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 9.1
 8.5
 9.7
Bleed American Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 06, 2005

Sound: This album has an excellent sound to it. I bought it after buying Futures and realising the band is excellent. The album has a mix of upbeat, heavyish and slow light songs. The songs are great to listen to, this album confirmed Jimmy Eat World as one of my fave all time bands. It isnt a bad guitar album either, the songs arefun to play, some of them are quite easy but still fun. There are some great sounding solos on the album, such as in Bleed American itself, Hear You Me and The Middle. I downloded a video of them playing The Middle live and it was perfect. Great album from a great band. // 10

Lyrics: I love the lyrics off this album. Some of them seem quite random, Salt sweat sugar on the asphault and The sweetness will not be a part of me, but some of the lyrics are very emotional a song for a heart so big, god wouldnt let it live, may angels lead you in and you rip my heart right out. Jim's voice is amazing. I can't explain but he has a very unique voice which goes well with the style of lyrics. And when playing live he sings in tune and time. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is one of my favourites, I'm glad I bought it. It is different to the new album Futures, but not for better or worse. The most impressive songs on the album for me are The Middle, Hear You Me. I really can't choose they are all excellent. I love the solo in The Middle and Hear You Me. I basically love everything about the album. I don't hate anything. // 10

Bleed American Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 29, 2004

Sound: Jimmy Eat World's "Bleed American" has an interesting sound. They have a great variety of fast, and up-beat songs, and slower songs. Although the lead guitar is quite imressive, the drums are kind of mediocore to below average. "Bleed American" is a punk/alternative album, and should be bought by anyone who enjoys those genres. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics in some songs are too personal to understand at first, but you can make speculations. The lead singer has a very good voice. He uses a good variety of long holds, and soft almost whispers. The lyircs go along ok with the music. // 6

Overall Impression: Compared to other punk rock bands, Jimmy Eat World is quite unique. They're not your everyday punk band singing about skateboarding, they really have some meaning. The most impressive songs from the album would be "Bleed American" and "The Authority Song". If I lost this album, I would probably get it again somehow. "Bleed American" may not be a must-buy, but you should definitely check it out. // 6

Bleed American Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 09, 2004

Sound: I'd classify this album under emo or driving pop rock. It's chorus's are really catchy and there is a mix of heavy and soft sounds. But I find that their are to many slow, quiet songs. They are still good but I don't listen to them that much because you can't really rock out to them. They put out a good record though. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are really good and put thought into your mind. As for Jim's voice I'd say he really did good on Bleed American. He has a lot of emotion put into his singing. A lot better singing than on their other CDs. // 10

Overall Impression: Great album. Other than the fact that there should have been more heavy songs. The best songs are Bleed American, a Praise Chorus, Sweetness, and Get it Faster. I am definately looking forward to their upcoming album. P.S. Check out JEW on Riding in Vans With Boys featuring them, Blink 182, Green Day, and Kut U up. // 10

Bleed American Reviewed by: starbomb13, on september 13, 2004

Sound: There's about a 50-50 split between soft songs and heavy/heavier songs on the album. I'm not really a fan of their soft songs it just doesn't fit with them-they sound sappy. The heavier songs, on the other hand are more enjoyable not all of them though. They do have some sort of catchiness that can appeal to some people. // 6

Lyrics: Lyrics-wise: I either like all the lyrics from some songs or I don't like any of the lyrics on other songs. They do touch upon a certain variety of subjects though. As for singing skills on soft songs the singer sounds not horrible, but it just doesn't really suit him. On heavier songs there's more of a match there. Gotta give it a average rating cause I don't like the lyrics more than I like them. // 6

Overall Impression: Again I had to skip songs to get to the ones I liked, so not all songs were decent, in my standards. My favourite songs have gotta be-"The Middle" and "Authority Song". I hate that it's not consistant it's either good or crap. If it were stolen or lost I don't think I'd get it again I'd just buy off the net the songs I like (that's right, I don't illegally download). I would give it 3.5, but there isn't that option so it's a 3. // 6

Bleed American Reviewed by: semi-re, on october 21, 2004

Sound: This band are like the overlords of the most hated of all musical terms 'emo'. They're the band everyone loves and there is good reason the sound on this album has great variety and the soft and heavier song match and compliment each other perfectly. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are cool though the sound, for me any way is the most important element of the band. 'Crimson And Clover Over And Over' I don't know what thats meant to mean but it rolls of his tongue like something class. // 10

Overall Impression: Jimmy Eat World are one of the best bands around and one of the best bands that have been around in ages and are undoubtedly gonna be around for years 'cos they've clearly got the staying ability that most bands who just trow out whatevers popular lack. I wasn't blown away at first by this album but if you give it any time at all I'm sure you'll be rewarded. // 10

Bleed American Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 01, 2004

Sound: Jimmy Eat World has an emo sound. Bleed American is half hard and half soft. Jim Adkins is a pretty good guitar player. I loved the solos on The Middle and Bleed American. I also loved some of the acoustic stuff he did on some of the songs like Your House and Cautioners. Overall I found the sound to be good. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good. They kinda get stuck in your head for awhile. For example I always get sweetness stuck in my head. Jim Adkins is a pretty good singer. Though his voice tends to get whiny sometimes. I like the girl singer's vocals in Hear You Me and Cautioners. // 8

Overall Impression: Overalll Jimmy Eat World's Bleed American is a great albulm. It's mix of acoustic and electric rock may turn off some people. The sound is good. The lyrics are good. Hell even Jim Adkins sounds good. If you're an emo kid you might like this cd. Bleed American is Jimmy Eat World's best cd so far. // 10

Bleed American Reviewed by: Dobbsie, on january 21, 2011

Sound: I'm not that familiar with Jimmy Eat World's overall sound; I was only aware of a few songs like The Middle, Bleed American, The Sweetness and Pain. So, I thought I'd have a look at this album! I have to say, judging from the singles, I was not expecting what I heard on the album, they seem to be a lot softer than I imagined them to be, I'm not sure if this is a development from a previous sound, this is something I will look into! That said, I think it's got a good share of some fast up beat, to hard rock and sweet little acoustic numbers that I love. My only problem was that the opening track Bleed American (later re-christened as Salt, Sweat, Sugar) is fast, it's got some meat to it and it's just awesome. After that, there aren't any other songs that share that kind of drive that this song gives and an opening track is usually the song that sets an impression for me and it was a downer that it was all you were given in that respect. On the other hand, I've learned that they're not always about fast, loud tunes and I supposed it's better to try and divert yourself from one song to the next in terms of style etc. I like the sound; it's mature, simple and despite being classed as emo, they just appear as a straight forward Rock band to me, why complicate it anymore than that? // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics is always a hard one to judge. I wright songs and lyrics are always a pain in backside, I don't want to beat around the bush with what I'm saying so I just wright what comes...Then it just sounds like I'm beating round the bush with stuff, you try and simplify and you sound like an idiot. I think the lyrics are just straight up simple and honest, there the kind of lyrics that I feel just rolled off the tongue and the guys said "..Yeah that's cool, I like it!". Like I said before, the sound isn't too complicated, it's nice and simple and I think the lyrics act as a nice icing on the cake, it's too sweet and it's a nice cake, you like this cake. Or maybe I can describe it with other foods. Let's say you like cheese and tomato Pizza and you have a Pepperoni topping, it's a lot more simple compared to your friend's "Texas spicy BBQ chicken americano hot sticky flaming disc of whatever" but it's nice and it's not got too much... Now I'm complicating things. Jim Adkins voice isn't one to rave about, but the overall tonal quality is nice, he almost has a kind of suttle whisper in his voice a lot of the time and her certainly loves his vibrato. I'm not sure if it's these features of his voice, but something about the singing gives you more of a live feel than most bands albums. // 8

Overall Impression: I personally feel that Jimmy Eat World sit in a league of their own, not as glamorous as the music we hear too much on the radio today and I have a lot of respect for the guys! Most impressive songs? Like I said, the opening track Bleed American/Salt,Sweat,Sugar is great, it's powerful and gritty and I love the kick that it has. The song seems wild a lot of the time and I bet it's awesome live! The Middle is a song that a lot of people like me are familiar with and it was most likely the first song we really new by them! Despite the fact I've heard it so many times, it's still a great track to play on my stereo. Sweetness is a personal favourite, I remember a few years ago when a few friends were jamming this out as we were trying to start a band, the rhythm guitarist introduced me to this song. It's fast, it's active and it's upbeat and I love it! Your House was an interesting track, it was almost cheeky the way the vocals and drums were performing. The overall texture was quite smooth and it has nice gradual build throughout the song. Hear You Me was a nice little ballad, and judging by the vocals and lyrics, there's got to be something quite personal going on in this song. A Praise Chorus is a nice upbeat and simple tune, got some vocals from Tom on guitar here too! Some interesting guitar sound on the verse in Cautioners, almost like a super soft post hardcore breakdown over some soft biright timbres! The one thing I truly hate about this album is the last song "My Sundown". It's so boring and it doesn't leave me feeling like I want more, it just drags and it doesn't really go anywhere, besides that every other song is just brilliance that you can hear! I highly recommend this album to anyone who's not all familiar with Jimmy Eat World like I was. Or maybe you'd prefer to start from the beginning it's up to you, I just think this is a good starting point! All the best! Daniel // 9

Bleed American Reviewed by: gitterplayer24, on august 22, 2013

Sound: "Bleed American" is one of the few albums I have heard with the complete absence of filler. Their is not a single bad track on the album, and it is extremely catchy and was recorded very well. The vocals sound amazing and are very clear. The guitars stand out very well on this record, and the guitar solos compliment the songs, it doesn't sound like they just threw them in there for the sake of having a solo. Their are some really cool drum beats on album and, overall, the drums are really refreshing. The bass also plays a good role in this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics compliment the music very well, and Jim Adkins is a very good vocalist. The lyrics on this album are the kind that can stick with you forever, and are very easy for really anybody to relate to. However, their is a few cases throughout the album where the lyrics don't seem to make any sense, but even then, the words work very well with the music. Their are also a few cases where it can be difficult to understand what the vocalist is singing. Other than a few minor problems, the lyrics and vocals really do compliment the music, which is all that really matters. // 8

Overall Impression: This album was one of the highlights of my childhood, and it has been one of those albums I can listen to over and over again, and never get sick of it. It is hard for me to say what the most impressive songs are, but the most popular songs are "The Middle," "Sweetness," and "Hear You Me," at least from my experience. I recommend this album to people who are very into punk or emo music, but people who also like pop or any form of rock could find this enjoyable. If I ever lost this CD I would buy a hundred more copies so I would never lose it again! // 10

More Jimmy Eat World reviews rating latest review