Chase This Light Review

jimmy eat world: Chase This Light
Release Date: Oct 16, 2007
Label: Interscope
Genres: Pop Rock/Alternativeo
Although legendary producer Butch Vig is at the helm this time around, Jimmy Eat World remains true to its original sound.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 8.6
 8.3
 8.8
Chase This Light Reviewed by: UG Team, on october 16, 2007

Sound: In a world where it's hard not to be leery of bands that seem to write radio hit after radio hit, Jimmy Eat World is a guilty pleasure. You can't really consider the band part of the rock genre, and at times it's music even touches upon a more distinct pop sound. Perhaps the most crucial thing on the band's side is that it's songs instantly get stuck in your head -- and this case, it's not such a bad thing. It has more to do with pleasing melodies than just annoyance, and underneath it all, the quartet has some surprisingly unique approaches to songwriting. Jimmy Eat World's latest album Chase This Light is one of the best examples of their refreshing musical approach. What will immediately draw attention to the latest album is the name behind it: Butch Vig. The producer responsible for Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream and Nirvana's Nevermind (not to mention his role as drummer in Garbage) is at the helm of Chase This Light, but you wouldn't necessarily guess that right off the bat. There are some more innovative tunes that feel like Vig might have had his hand in things a little bit more, but in general Jimmy Eat World has continued with the solid sound they have had for years. With vocalist Jim Adkins leading the way, the band once again delivers layered melodies and harmonies that intertwine to carry song after song. The first single Big Casino doesn't immediately jump out at first, primarily because the verses are a little bit low-key. But the band balances out the anti-climactic verses by delivering a big chorus that immediately multiples the energy. While the verses might not jump out musically, there is a charming storytelling aspect about that section thanks to Adkins' attention-grabbing vocal delivery. Jimmy Eat World does like to build up to a punchy chorus, and it does work for them pretty well in Big Casino and another track called Firefight. There are times when you wish there was a little bit more involved within the verses, whether it be a nice hook or just a little bit more energy in general, but at least there is a payoff at the end. The best track on the album is also the biggest musical leap for the band. Gotta Be Somebody's Blues thrives on an eerie, moody vibe the entire song, and it's nothing like the fun, poppy numbers that Jimmy Eat World has put out in the past. You hear just a simple, steady guitar strum at first, but then you get the addition of a very elaborate string section. Between the heavily pronounced bass line and the cello almost sounding like lap steel, Gotta Be Somebody's Blues is the one track that makes you immediately want to listen from beginning to end. The track is pretty atypical for the band and it shows exactly what Jimmy Eat World is capable of writing. // 8

Lyrics: The songs on Chase This Light bounce between your typical pop lyrics and more in-depth reflection. Making an even greater impression than the deep lyrics are the unexpected lines that show Jimmy Eat World isn't afraid to take a few lyrical chances -- even if it might look cheesy on paper. Listeners get plenty of oohs, ahs, and even has on the album, which are best showcased in the tracks Let It Happen and Electable (Give It Up). Let It Happen is the standout of the two with lines like Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha, I can laugh it off in Let It Happen, and it surprisingly doesn't get annoying, either. Adkins softens his vocals during that section and makes it work well. // 8

Overall Impression: Jimmy Eat World's 6th studio album does not stray too far from its usual sound, but the band has proven in the past it has a knack for melodies. The guitars, although subtle, hearken back to an early '80s rock sound (bands like The Outfield, at least), and it's the similar use of effects that really drive that comparison. Guitarist Tom Linton even tries out some similar techniques to U2's The Edge at times, adding more texture to the song rather than coming straight out and playing a riff. The new album doesn't necessarily come across as a Butch Vig album, but the sound quality is amazing and the harmonies are flawless. It would be great to see the band take another stab at a track like Gotta Be Somebody's Blues, which just surpasses everything they've done. Jimmy Eat World shouldn't be afraid of taking a few risks on its next album, especially considering they approach near perfection when they do take a chance. // 8

Chase This Light Reviewed by: RageFan1900, on january 10, 2008

Sound: Jimmy Eat World's new album is a lot softer and more mellow than what you may be used to from the singles on the radio. This is the first album of their's I have, and I was expected more of a punch to the album. "Big Casino" was a hell of a single, and easily the heaviest song on the record, and since "Big Casino" isn't really that heavy to begin with, you can imagine how the other songs may sound. There's nothing on this album along the lines of "Bleed American," "Pain," or even "Sweetness." This album is very mellow; good kick-back music. If you're a fan of heavy music you don't have to steer clear from this album, because I normally listen to heavy, riff-driven rock 'n roll. If you like Jimmy Eat World, chances are you won't be disappointed. // 8

Lyrics: Jimmy Eat World normally has pretty solid lyrics. They write ballads on this album, emotional songs, and even a melancholy song (Gotta Be Somebody's Blues) that at first I wasn't sure what to think of it, but it grew on me like you wouldn't believe. Jim Adkins also is able to express lots of emotion into the music, more so than most singers in this day and age in my opinion. Also, you'll find yourself singing along most of the time. "Electable (Give It Up)" and "Let it Happen" have choruses that are almost impossible to not sing along with. I like that in a band. The music tends to get through better and connects with you more. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a good, solid album on the alternative/pop side of things. The punk elements that were in Jimmy Eat World before are practically gone I this album, except for maybe "Electable," and that's a longshot. "Big Casino" is the best song in my opinion, but the other close favorites for me are "Let it Happen," "Electable," and "Gotta Be Somebody's Blues." All the other songs are good, just not mega-good. The irony to me behind this album is the fact that the title track "Chase This Light" is my least favorite song on the album. However, this is a CD that I would re-purchase if it was gone one day, and my computer and MP3 player crashed. The main thing to remember if you're deciding to get this album is that it is mellower than the other stuff they have done. // 8

Chase This Light Reviewed by: Oldreich87, on july 14, 2008

Sound: This is a very awesome and unique album from Jimmy Eat World. The most unique thing about it is that the songs are soft and the songs are for sure the softest that Jimmy Eat World has made. I think the sound of this CD is excellent. I am perfectly fine with how Jimmy Eat World created these songs and I like the soft stuff. The songs that I thought stood out the most in this album were Big Casino and Let It Happen. Big Casino is one of the faster songs on this album and this song is the most popular song off Chase This Light. Let It Happen is another good song. This one is one of the soft songs from Chase This Light. Let It Happen is just one of those songs that you can't resist singing along to. Overall, great sound! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of Chase This Light were also unique from the other lyrics that Jimmy Eat World has created. The lyrics were really emotional to me. I'm not saying that emotional is a bad thing but it's not what I expected from Chase This Light. The good thing is that the lyrics go well with the songs and they are lyrics that get stuck in your head and are good to sing along with. // 8

Overall Impression: I think that Chase This Light doesn't compare to any of their other albums like Bleed American and Futures. Big Casino and Let It Happen will always be my favorite songs and I think they are the most impressive songs off of Chase This Light. The sound is what I loved the most about it. It amazed me. Chase This Light rules! // 9

More Jimmy Eat World reviews rating latest review