Futures Review

jimmy eat world: Futures
Released: Oct 19, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Post-Grunge, Emo
As usually on Jimmy Eat World records, this album has something for every kind of taste - there are harsh riffs and soft tunes, there's the lullaby and the love song, there are emo, rock and hard 'n' heavy mixed all together.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 8.8
 8.9
 8.6
Futures Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 26, 2005

Sound: First of all, if you haven't got this album already, close this window, go to your closest record store and buy it. If you are skint, streal it. I have to say that after buying this album I have decided Jimmy Eat World kick ass even harder than before. It sounds amazing, the guitar riffs rock, the singing is great. Although there isn't much for solos, the solos they do have sound great and flow brilliantly with the songs. There is a rabge of songs from the slow emotional ones such as Polaris and 23, the typical harder sounding JEW songs like Pain and Nothingwrong, and then just generally great catchy songs like Futures and Pain. Every song sounds amazing. // 10

Lyrics: Ok, the lyrics rock. Every song has something in the lyrics. Jim throws in catchy and emotional lines such as 'I love, and I should have said it, but tell me just what has it ever meant', all memorable, and they keep coming as each song goes on. With the music, the singing flows perfectly. Jim's voice sounds different with all the emotions. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is definitly one of the best I have ever heard. If I was to pick out a favourite band of all time, I would consider JEW. Every song stands out in its own way, but especially Futures, Work, Kill, Pain, Polaris, Nothingwrong, 23 and the bonus track Shame. My favourite song off the album is Work, I just hope as a single it isn't overplayed. I love everything about the album, especially the killer guitar riffs as in Futures, Work and Nothingwrong, and I definitely love the way each song is different and has it's own 'colour' to it. Jimmy Eat World are one of my biggest music inspirations along with Finch, Lost Prophets, Taking Back Sunday, RHCP and Funeral For A Friend. I wouldn't lose or have this album stolen, I am too protective of it, but if so, I'd buy again within five minutes. In the case of being stolen, I'd probably go down for man-slaughter. Unless you already have it, buy this album. // 10

Futures Reviewed by: celvy666, on july 18, 2005

Sound: The sound on Futures hits you instantly as looser than Bleed American. More emotional and musical than pop-punk. The guitars are less tight than Bleed American and the drumming is more relaxed. There's still the soaring choruses and amazing tunes that JEW are known for but it's just done in a more relaxed way. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't full of metahpors and secret meanings, but they're not exactly simple either, which is good because you get lost I'm jim's lyrics in a good way, as oppose to a confusing way. Jim isn't the best technical singer ever but his voice has a pretty good range and suits the music better than most singer's voices. Even if he does still sound like a 14 year old on some songs. // 8

Overall Impression: JEW have been around for ages and haven't lost their original spark. They've got better since day one and though this isn't another Bleed American CD, it's better in some respects. JEW seem to have taken the sound of "Clarity" on this record and also been influenced by bands such as Jawbreaker. The best song is "Work," closely followed by "Kill," "Just Tonight," "Pain" and "The World You Love." if I lost this album I would buy 2 more, just in case. // 10

Futures Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2012

Sound: Jimmy Eat World is a great punk rock/emo band from Arizona. This album, "Futures" is their best recording by far. It is punky, emotive, poppy and funny for short time listenings. I think the production is really great, even better than "Bleed American". The guitar playing is great, but nothing special, just the technique that this style needs. Drumming is much better than "Bleed American" and has got some nice keyboard lines. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrics are just good. Emotive and pretty, but nothing special. Jim Atkins is a great lead singer all way. // 6

Overall Impression: I think that this is the best Jimmy Eat World album since "Clarity". The most impressive songs: "Pain", "Just Tonight" and "Polaris". I really love the production, the guitar playing and the keyboards in some of the songs. I think it was one of the best albums of the last decade. // 8

Futures Reviewed by: UG Team, on october 08, 2004

Sound: After a fairly long silence (that lasted for almost three years!) the Phoenix band Jimmy Eat World finally released its fourth album "Futures." That was a highly anticipated event for both Jimmy Eat World's fans and musical critics, since all of their previous releases were marked high. There is no doubt that "Futures" -- a perfectly prepared full-length release with eleven absolutely different tracks on -- will be critically acclaimed as well. All the emo kids out there can exult, because "Futures" saves that feeling that made JEW to get the "emo band" sticker. Though, some of their songs, especially 6 minutes long piano driven "Drug For Me", shows the band's rise and evolution. For the sounding, the band uses all of their previous experiences in playing and songwriting -- you can hear the echoes of "Static Prevails," "Clarity" and the breakthrough album "Bleed American" (later "Jimmy Eat World"). Having kept the charm of the previous releases, this album still stands two steps forward. With the opening track "Futures", the band defines the overall mood of the album -- funny, unpretentious and catchy guitar riffs, simple, but still good rhythm section and emotional voice. The next one -- "Just Tonight" -- is one of the heaviest and powerful songs of the album, it combines the low-tuned guitars on the verses with the melodic and enigmatic choruses' riffs. In my humble opinion, "Work" -- 3rd track -- is one of the weakest tracks, with an evident pop-influence, light and dull tunes. The fourth track "Kill" stands in between of agressive rock sounding and some mainstream influences, barely good soft and melodic song with harsh riffs in chorus, heavy enough to call it "death metal". It's a risky thing to combine heavy tunes in a love song, but the guys know what they do, sounds incredible! The following "The World You Love" is rather a pure colledge punk-pop song, not just an experiment. It features intro's fast drum beats and palm-muted guitars in choruses. And now it's the "Pain" -- the most impressive track of "Futures" -- nice shaking tune in the style of hard rock classics. The guys know where to put it -- after several soft and slow tracks it's just about a time for some rumble-tumble. The second half of the record starts with "Drugs Or Me" ballad, which shows the other side of Jim Adkins' talents -- the piano playing. There are Jim's vocals as the main instrument along with a measured drum and bass part harmonized with scarcely audible guitar sounding and fantastic piano passages through the whole song. The following "Polaris" is another slow and melodic track with no aggression or madness. Though the next one -- "Nothingwrong" -- slightly reminds "Nirvana." It has grinding guitar riffs on the verses, more melodic chorus and perfect bridge and solo -- another heavy and rapid track. The final tracks are "Night Drive" and "23". The latter s a melodic mixture of guitars and epic keyboard parts. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are deep, glamour and intensely emotional. Although they flow in the same direction as before, songwriting skills of Jim have grown up. As to the vocal skills -- they are immense as usualy. Jim hasn't changed here really, probably because there are no room to rise even more. Along with a perfect job of his bandmates, Jim's voice is the leading hand appreciably completing the compositions. Btw, you can hear the back vocal of Liz Phair on the track "Work". Surely it was made by tradition with a current trend to perform songs in duet with other musicians. All in all -- it's a good job of the band both in terms of singing and songwriting. // 10

Overall Impression: "Futures" is a huge step forward and a great return to the world wide scene for Jimmy Eat World. After such a long break we were anticipating a lot, and "Futures" doesn't dissapoint at all -- all the band members without exception did their job perfectly along with producer Gil Norton. As usually on Jimmy Eat World records, this album has something for every kind of taste -- there are harsh riffs and soft tunes, there's the lullaby and the love song, there are emo, rock and hard 'n' heavy mixed all together. It's a perfect record, which nevertheless lacks of raw energy, and expression, and probably some frenzy here and there -- I've waited and waited for some emotional outburst while it was playing in my stereo, but I didn't get it. The album has left me the feeling of some innuendo and dishonesty, which is a nice thing, however. To make a conclusion, "Futures" is one of the most impressive records of 2004. // 10

Futures Reviewed by: chinko, on december 13, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is incredibly varied, from hard rockers like 'Pain' and title track 'Futures', to slow melodic ballads like 'Drugs Or Me'. The enhanced CD features 2 extra songs 'Shame' and 'When I Went', which I think are a welcome addition and fit right into the album. However 'Work' is a rather bland song and discouraged me from the album a tiny bit on my first listen. // 10

Lyrics: As always, the lyrics are excellent. Jim sings with amazing talent, and his voice is clear as always. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the first JEW album I've bought (our local store gets cd's in at random) so I can't compare it to previous albums. 'Pain' and 'Polaris' are equally impressive tracks from the album, but it falls down on 'Work'. If it was stolen then I'd buy it again (I have done with previous albums that got damaged). // 10

Futures Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 01, 2005

Sound: Well first of all I've never been a big Jimmy Eat World fan, until I heard Pain of this album, I figured hey what the heck, I might as well buy it. Well luckily I love it. The sound of this CD is amazing, they can play some awesomley hard riffs or slow it down a bit and give him a chance to really sing. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics were good, nothing special but good. Some of the songs can really speak to you from their lyrics while others make you scratch your head. How ever I love his voice, it goes so well with the point he trys to get across and mixes well with the guitars. I think the lyrics can be powerful and life changing to the right person listening. // 8

Overall Impression: I found that this CD was much better than Stacic Prevails, and Bleed America. My favorite song is by far Work. I never knew a song could change my life so much, but it has really influenced me for the better. If it were stolen or lost, I'd definatley run to Best Buy and get a new one. // 10

Futures Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 12, 2005

Sound: Futures is the latest offering from Jimmy Eat World. I first heard about them from a friend who also introduced me to Bleed America. I heard the singles Work and Pain on the radio and thought: "Hey, this is acutally quite good." Having listened to it, it's clear this album will suit several tastes. Theres some pretty hard rock: (Futures, Nothing Wrong, Pain) Yet theres also some slower stuff: (Drugs Or Me, Night Drive) and a a good collection of some really feel good tracks: (Work, World You Love). All in all, a album that will satisfy most tastes. The UK edition bonus tracks are good too. // 10

Lyrics: I never really pay much attention to lyrics but they are still far better than anything Britney could come up with. Whoever the singer is, has an incredable voice and he makes the lyrics really sound in your head for ages afterwards. Brilliant. // 8

Overall Impression: Definetly one of my favorite albums. My personal favortie tracks are Work, Drugs Or Me and Polaris but the reat are still excellent. Having only heard Bleed America, I cant comment on weather it's better than the other albums but if any are better than this, then I'll go mad (literaly) I would definately replace this album if it got lost or stolen. A superb album. // 10

Futures Reviewed by: skemothefish, on april 06, 2005

Sound: In an interview I recently read, one of the members of Jimmy Eat World described Futures as a Clarity 2. What a lie. Futures is nothing like Clarity. But it's good for what it is. Slick and shiny, with very simple guitar parts that sound good in the song. The harder songs ("Nothing Wrong") are nowhere near as hard as Static Prevails, and the slower "expansive" songs ("Drugs Or Me") aren't as lovely as some songs on Clarity, but it's a good CD to put on when you need something radio-friendly to listen to. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are okay in a lot of the songs on Futures because they sound good with the music (like all other Jimmy Eat World songs). However, sometimes the lyrics are extremely bad and lame (i.e. "The World You Love" and "Night Drive"). In addition, Jim Adkins voice is almost too whiney. I miss the days when he and tom sang the same amount of songs on a CD. // 4

Overall Impression: The best thing about buying Futures for me was finding Goodbye Sky Harbour - Live At La Scala on the website of the enhanced CD. A song that I always found to be unlistenable is now my favourite Jimmy Eat World song. As for the actual album, I'd say it's their worst or second-worst but it's Jimmy Eat World so it's still good. Favourite songs: Just Tonight and 23, least favourite songs - The World You Love and Drugs Or Me. If it was stolen, well, it's on my computer so it wouldn't really matter. Now if my computer was stolen I'd cry or something. // 6

Futures Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 07, 2005

Sound: This album splendidly showcases Jimmy Eat Worlds sound, from adolescent romperstompers like "Pain" to the contagious emo ponderings of "Work" and "Polaris." Although it starts to deteriorate towards the end (Nothing Wrong is as bland an album filler as you'll find) this is a solid outing for Arizonas finest. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically this album is nowhere near as shimmeringly poetic as "Clarity" or as meaningful as "Bleed American," it seems that they are perhaps running out of steam, reverting to simple lyrics about drugs and small town escapes. It's a little too Emo by numbers and has lost its sense of honesty. It seems too corporate and contrived, a far cry from "Clarity." // 6

Overall Impression: Better than Static Prevails but it loses out to their other albums, Clarity wins by a mile and should definetely be considered the bands finest hour, then "Bleed American" and this trails in third. Still a good album but this once great band seem to sinking into MOR mediocracy. // 6

Futures Reviewed by: TimmyEatWorld, on may 30, 2005

Sound: I had the opportunity of seeing these guys play live even before I bought the album, and they sound just as good on stage as the in studio album recording. Great sound and tone with the use os mostly Gibson guitars, you can't go wrong with this style of music. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics once again in another great Jimmy album, are very deep and sincere. From the very first line in their song Futures to the very last in the song 23, every word sang perfectly along with the slamming and clean guitars and melodic percussions. Jim Adkins and Tom Linton really know how to work the vocals. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is the best Jimmy Eay World album yet, and I look forward to their future releases. It seems each album they create becomes better and better, inching them closer and closer to really hitting it big. // 10

Futures Reviewed by: fox69, on october 29, 2005

Sound: I hadn't listened to a whole lot of Jimmy Eat World in the past except fer some of their last album, but when I saw the music video for "Pain" I knew I needed to get the CD. Jimmy Eat World are a good band with great guitars, vocals, bass, and awsome drumming. a great band to rock out to or just mellow out to. // 10

Lyrics: I really liked them lyrically inthis album and jim showed off some talent in his singing and songwriting. They sing about growing up and finding a job "Work," a girl who you can't get "Pain," and losing your personality in a relationship "Polaris." Jim is a great singer and I really hope to hear more material from them in the future. // 10

Overall Impression: Bleed American was an awsome album, but I'd have to say Futures is a bit better. Best songs were "Futures," "Just Tonight," "Work," "Pain," "Polaris," "Nothingwrong" and "23," which is the best sng on the whole album. "23" is an awesome guitar song and you won't get it until you listen to all 7 minutes of it. An awsome album by a great band. // 10

Futures Reviewed by: Dobbsie, on february 07, 2011

Sound: After picking up the band's 'Bleed American/Jimmy Eat World' album I thought I'd pick up another one and so I gave this one a wack! The overall sound of this album was very much different to 'Bleed American' a little bit more guitars than usual and a few more synthesized sounds and some interesting strings on some tracks! The opening title track "Futures" is awesome, it hits you with this positive vibe the moment you press play, which is great; couldn't ask for a better opening number in my eyes! I noticed that 'Bleed American' lacked a lot of meat in most songs and it did sound a little tame (still a fantastic album!). This album provided a little bit more of a punch which I liked, even in some of the more steady tunes like "Work" and "Kill". The only downfall is that putting these two tracks together, you sort of catch the same vibe of the two, however this is easily seen to with the next track "The World You Love" which is nice, nice and almost heart warming! Guitar tones and playing style is a little bit more sophisticated than before; not like the guitar solo in 'Bleed American' where it's sounds messy and wild, but don't worry there's still some great riffs and licks etc. Listen to the guitar work in 'Just Tonight', simple but really cool! Overall I think the layout of the album is pretty much perfect besides slapping those two tracks nest to each other! I've picked up that Jimmy Eat World are very much well known and respected for there softer tunes anyway so this is pretty much what you expect with a few little surprises when needed! // 9

Lyrics: I think compared to their previous album's the lyrics are a lot stronger, the majority of Jim's lyrics remain simple and affective as always; for some reason I quite like the line "If I'm hated then it's not my fault I swear" in there bonus track "When I Want/Non-Musical Silence". Not sure why I like it, I just think it's nice and innocent, the way the vocals are layed out for it is also rather nice with harmony conisting of just simple higher octaves. I'd like to think Jim's voice has improved in this album, there's definately evidence of a lot wider vocal range. I still love his whispering and wheezy like vocals especially in 'Nightdrive' a really cool slow rocking acoustic track with great gang vocals; I can imagine that would be a great song live! // 9

Overall Impression: I think it's definately a nice change from 'Bleed American' I apoligive for comparing it to that album so much, but these are the only two I've heard so far! My favourite songs?: 01. Futures - 02. Just Tonight - 05. The World You Love - 06. Pain - 08. Polaris - 09. Nothingwrong - 10. Night Drive - 11. 23 - 13. When I want/Non-Musical Silence - If you purchase the 2 Disc Edition, you'll see there are 13 tracks [2 Bonus Tracks] I think it's well worth buying for the extra two bonus tracks. The second disc consists of the Demo recordings of each track you hear on the album. It may seem weird to some people because you may feel like you're buying the same disc but the recordings aren't as good. It's actually a bit better than that, it sort of shows you how each song had been developed and changed around etc. Quite interesting when you compare each Demo to the finalized versions! There are also some notes made by Jim and Tom in the booklet about each song and the writing process/how they came about writing them! You will alos have noticed that I have chosen the majority of the album as my favourite tracks...What do you think I'm suggesting? Those that weren't my favourite doesn't mean that they're not good either! This is a promising album, it's not that much a change and it's got a good healthy balance of hard rocking tracks, slow rockers and some great ballads! Hope this review has been useful! I'm quite looking forward to purchasing my next Jimmy Eat World album! All the best! Daniel // 10

More Jimmy Eat World reviews rating latest review