So, It's Like That Review

artist: joe bonamassa date: 03/01/2007 category: compact discs
joe bonamassa: So, It's Like That
Release Date: 2002
Label: Medalist
Genres: Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, Blues-Rock, American Trad Rock, Singer/Songwriter
Bonamassa spotlights his songwriting this time, using his fluid and fiery guitar work to punctuate muscular melodies more akin to anthemic arena rock than basic blues.
 9.9
 9.8
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
So, It's Like That Reviewed by: tilleking, on march 01, 2007

Sound: I consider myself one of the biggest Joe Bonamassa fans around. Now that I've bought this CD, I now proudly own all of his stuff. His sound is quite simply superb. However, this album shows a different side to Joe Bonamassa, it's far less bluesy than his other music. It's a lot 'rockier' or 'heavier'. And this is far from a bad thing. It's wonderful to mix up the usual Bonamassa stuff with this faster paced stuff. There's lots of heavy rock sounding guitar parts plus plenty of acoustic parts mixed in there too. There are some fabulous riffs on the album, including "Lie #1" and "Takin' The Hit". Some songs will have you singing them for months on end and once you've heard it, you won't want to stop listening to them. "Mountain Time" in particular, is very addictive. Overall, Bonamassa sounds fantastic on this album. It IS different to his usual 'SRV-type' blues sound, but is very good nonetheless. // 10

Lyrics: As per usual, this album features some brilliant lyrics that will stick to your mind like glue. The lyrics in the majority of the songs on this album are very modernised compared to much of Joe's other stuff. I've always thought that Joe Bonamassa has a very good singing voice, though I know that others find his vocals little 'temperamental'. I believe that the vocals on this album are Joe Bonamassa at his best. Some really catchy lyrics and fantastic vocals singing them. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is fantastic. I might even go as far as to say that it's my favourite Bonamassa album. However, it's important to remember the big differences between this music and his other blues stuff. The most impressive songs are "Mountain Time", "Lie #1", "Takin' the Hit" and "My Mistake". If you're into blues and want to get into Bonamassa, I suggest you buy "Blues Deluxe." If you're more into rock than blues, then this is the starter Bonamassa album for you. You're guaranteed to love it. // 10

More Joe Bonamassa reviews rating latest review