Crystal Planet Review

joe satriani: Crystal Planet
Released: Mar 3, 1998
Genre: Rock
Styles: Instrumental Rock, Hard Rock, Pop/Rock, Guitar Virtuoso
It's an instrumental record with a difference, finding the guitarist taking more chances than ever.
 9.7
 9.3
Crystal Planet Reviewed by: f117_nighthawk, on february 14, 2005

Sound: Joe Satriani, is one of the living playing guitar legends, and it is clearly apparent on this CD. The sound of the cd is awesome, though I have heard someone say that it should be remastered, but they probably had some crappy earphones, cuz the sound is great. Awesome mind blowing guitar playing by Joe, and reat bass and drums also throughout. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics... There are no lyrics, just pure guitar. Even without words you get a feel for the song and strangely enough the song doesnt need words, as the guitar provides that. I give the "lyrics" a 5 (listen to Satriani and you'll see what I mean). // 10

Overall Impression: I have heard Satriani before but this was the first CD of his that I bought. In my opinion all his songs are fantastic, no fillers, and any of his cds are worth the money, as he is a guitar genius and writes fantastic music. Most impressive songs for me are, "Up In The Sky," "Lights Of Heaven," "Time," "Crystal Planet," "A Train Of Angels" and "With Jupiter In Mind." I highly reccomend this album to any guitar lover. If it was stolen I would buy it again and some others as well. Each song is so detailed and intricate that you discover something new every listen. I give this album a strong 5, and I reccomend the others also. // 10

Crystal Planet Reviewed by: rykoff sexton, on march 06, 2007

Sound: The production is great. The sound value is precisely engineered to get the most out of every note played. This is before his signature Ibanez, so it more of a classic Satch tone. The opening harmonic riff on Up In The Sky is such an original sound, and literally makes you feel like your surfing in a cloud. He then displays on other track his blues phrasing abilities, mellow, ambient compositions, and near metal shred style. As far as the techinal specification of equipment and recrding technioques used I am not sure of, so there is probably no groundbreaking innovation. Just classic, straigh ahed Satriani soundwriting arrangement. // 10

Lyrics: No lyrics. Pure music on guitar. If you are not a guitar freak, especially electric guitar freak who gets off on great solos, loud distortion, and overall great blues/rock oriented shred, you will still pleasure in the album, but not to the degree that serious guitar enthusiasts will. // 10

Overall Impression: This album pretty much inspired me to pursue a greater degree of playing. As soon I as I heard these guitar lines and solos, I told myself, I want to play this. Pretty ambitious of a 15 year old who had only 2 years experience. I ordered the tab book and pretty much used those as lessons for several years. 8 solid years of practice, lessons, jamming, bands, it has paid off in the best way possible. I can navigate through these songs and play his phenomonal solos pretty accurately. Not to get off the point of the review of this album, I just need to express the absolute impact this album has had on my life. Sounds like a lot for an album but this is literally the closest thing to guitar perfection in my mind. It sounds as if every note was selected individually to compose these pieces. Thank you Joe Satriani. // 10

More Joe Satriani reviews rating latest review