Engines Of Creation Review

Released: Mar 14, 2000
Label: Epic
Genre: Rock
Styles: Instrumental Rock, Hard Rock, Guitar Virtuoso
It's a brave and sporadically successful experiment, and it's also a promising new direction for Satriani should he choose to continue this vein of exploration and take it out even farther.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 8.8
 9.3
 8.3
reviews (4) 1 comment vote for this album:
Engines Of Creation Reviewed by: The Fiddler, on february 10, 2006

Sound: Joe Satriani's usual great sound quality and clarity are present throughout this experimental and daring album. Leading into the 21st century, the general concensus was that popular music and virtuosic music could not mix. Joe shatters this conventional train of thought with his release of "Engines Of Creation." Purists would argue that it deviates too much from the shred genre that Joe helped promote and inspire. From an open-minded persective, the album features some classic Joe although there is definitely less of the high tempo soloing that Joe is known for. "Borg Sex" and "Flavor Crystal" are the definitive techno tracks that easily went commercial and mainstream (I can't remeber how many people have "Borg Sex" as their ringtone, yet can't name the artists). // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics? Satch almost never has lyrics as he is an instrumentalist. The variety in tone, timbre and melodic structure renders lyrics unnessesary for Joe. The songs of this album are feel-good and some tell stories through the mood of the music. // 9

Overall Impression: Absolutely love this album despite it's direction away from classic Satch. "Engines Of Creation" the track was one of the most unique and soothing tracks in the album while "Borg Sex" made me want to dance. This grammy-winner is eveyrthing you could want from Joe and a whole lot more. // 9

Engines Of Creation Reviewed by: ooblah, on february 11, 2006

Sound: Not at all what I expected to come out of joe in this cd, however it does offer a whole new tone to his style. I was expecting to here some flashy harmonizes lines all floating on top of a nice chord progression, but in this there is a lot more techno thing stuff (specifically Borg Sex) which was actually ok. I think it took a lot of courage to put himself on the line to branch off like that and I believe that it payed off. // 9

Lyrics: As stated many times, Joe satriani is an instrumentalist, and uses his guitar to "sing" lyrics for him. // 9

Overall Impression: This entire record proves Joe's amazing versitality when it comes to music and shows how far he can really expand his writing. One of the most popular tunes, "Borg Sex" is more of a techno song, which is not a genre I typically get into, but regardless of that I can not point out a single "bad song" on the record at all. If you are really curious, go to his site and see if he has any track listings so you can make your call. Personally, I give Joe thumbs up for this record, it may not resemble past records as much, but I think that is the whole purpose of it. If it got stolen, I would find out who it was. Rip their heart out of their chest, and shove in their down their throat right before they died. But if I lost it, I would go buy a new one right away. // 9

Engines Of Creation Reviewed by: Masterofdarknes, on july 04, 2005

Sound: After hearing a few songs by him on the computer I just had to get an album, so I did I chose this one. The sound is awesome his a great guitarist with a lot of different styles of playing. Also I must mention the drummer, he's very good and works well with the bands sound, so I've got to give the sound 5. // 10

Lyrics: The songs that I have listen too so far don't seem to have any lyrics, but man does his guitaring make up for that, his guitar and the way he plays it are the lyrics, its just great. Again its gonna be a 5 because of the guitar is the words singing, it's just awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the only album I have brought but listening to the tracks I have on the album I will get another album. It's well worth the money. My Favorite two songs on the album are, Slow And Easy & Engines Of Creation. Good tracks them! I would deffinatly recommend it. // 10

Engines Of Creation Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 28, 2005

Sound: Joe is not only a god-like guitar player and music expert, but also a genius of the recording studio. His uncanny ablity to mix tracks is staggering. The album is more centered around a techno theme, and quite frankly, two of it's most successful tracks are "Flavor Crystal" and "Borg Sex." Although we see much less of Joe's soloing frenzies, hie other talents in digital audio production and techno songwriting are really brought out. // 9

Lyrics: 99% of Joe's songs are instrumental and thus he has no "lyrics" here. He does put "voice" into his songs through solos and original riffs and licks. The fills and solos have a familiar overdrive tone, but it's unique and Joe manages to make is guitar "cry." He is simply lyrical in an instrumental sense. // 9

Overall Impression: A solid album that detours from Joe's routine solo playing. His exploration of music styles is commendable and this is one of those exploratory albums. // 9

More Joe Satriani reviews rating latest review