Flying In A Blue Dream Review

joe satriani: Flying In A Blue Dream
Release Date: Oct 1989
Label: Epic
Genres: Instrumental Rock, Hard Rock, Fusion, Pop/Rock, Guitar Virtuoso
Soaring, powerful, and triumphant, this recording deserves a place in everyone's collection.
 8.7
 9.5
 7.9
Flying In A Blue Dream Reviewed by: Diamond_Brad51, on february 14, 2006

Sound: Flying In A Blue Dream is considered to be Joe Satriani at his best. The music on this album is incredible. On this particular album he shows that he can in fact sing as well as play the guitar. Although his singing is in fact no where near his guitar playing. The styles used on this guitar are instrumental, rock, hard rock, fusion, pop/rock, and guitar virtuoso. The music really makes you feel what is being played at the time. On the track Day At The Beach (New Rays From An Ancient Sun) you really feel like you are on the beach listening to it. That song can make you picture the waves of the ocean crashing in the sand. // 10

Lyrics: Joe Satriani sings to six of the songs on this album, thus breaking from his all-instrumental roots. The singing is not spectacular but it fits the guitar playing well enough to get the point across. Songs such as Can't Slow Down and Strange show that he can sing well enough. Joe also does really well on the bluesy-hard rocking track Big Bad Moon. // 8

Overall Impression: In all Flying In A Blue Dream is a really well-rounded album. Each track brings a certain aspect to the album but Strange, Can't Slow Down, and Back to Shalla-Bal are the three most impressive tracks on the album. The sounds on the album are really what you would expect from Joe Satriani. This album will hit your certain mood with eah of its songs. This is a definite must buy for and Satriani fan. // 10

Flying In A Blue Dream Reviewed by: Satchafunkilus, on may 27, 2009

Sound: This is by far the most versatile Joe Satriani yet. Joe sings, plays a banjo, shows off his two hand tapping skills, and his amazing improv and solos. Joe's sound is unlike any ohter, especially in this album. For example in one song ("The Phone Call") it has a sort of country sound and feel to it, or in "The Feeling" he plays a banjo. His solos are top notch in the song "Big Bad Moon" he gives a kind of heavier sound with a lightning fast solo. Some of the songs are rather short though. Headless is only a minute and thirty seconds long and the feeling is only fifty seconds long, still great though. I would have to give him a 9 because some parts of the song could get a little repetitive. Still a great album though. // 9

Lyrics: This is by far his most lyrical album, in 18 songs he sings in 6 of them. The lyrics are a little strange and oddly put together but hes not a bad singer. The songs he sings in are: "Cant Slow Down", "Starnge", "I Believe", "Big Bad Moon", "The Phone Call", and "Ride". Joe has sang before in other songs like "Lifestyle" and "I Like The Rain". Hes not a bad singer but I'd rather just hear guitar although it is nice for a change of pace. // 10

Overall Impression: This album raises the bar for his other albums. Joe has really out done himself with this album. joe has put so many new things into his music; singing, a banjo etc. ITheres not really much to hate, I guess the songs could be a little longer. I love his solos, his two hand tapping, even his singing. I have had this album for quite some and I liten to it frequently, I would buy it again if anything happened to it. Honestly if you love Joe and appreciate his work then this album will make you very happy. Thers just so much on this album to take in and enjoy. // 10

More Joe Satriani reviews rating latest review