Joe Satriani Review

joe satriani: Joe Satriani
Released: Oct 1995
Genre: Instrumental Rock, Hard Rock
Label: Relativity Records
I have nothing negative to say about the album except for the lack of effects.
 9.1
 8.3
 9.8
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Joe Satriani Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 03, 2011

Sound: 01. "Cool #9": my favorite song on the album. Joe uses a lot of effects, such as whammmy, wah-wah, and an octaver. The main riff is catchy and bluesy at the same time, which is awesome. 02. "If": a lot of octaver is used on this song. The highlight of the song is probably the solo. Not as great as some other songs on the CD. 03. "Down, Down, Down": One of the softer songs, but it does pick up. Joe lays down the slow blues in this song. 04. "Luminous Flesh Giants": very catchy opening riff, and filled with epic blues licks. 05. "S.M.F.": bluesy, bluesy, bluesy! Joe plays the harmonica, which doesn't sound half bad. You can see a lot of Hendrix influences in this song. 06. "Look My Way": the only song where Joe sings, and it's about a girl. I have to admit, Joe can't write that good of lyrics, but the lyrics in this song are pretty decent. Plus, the high paced guitar adds something too. 07. "Home": another soft song, but this one does not pick up. Joe shows that you do not need to play a million notes a second to have epic music. 08. "Morrocan Sunset": groovy, but a little boring, the solo is the best part. 09. "Killer Bee Bop": Whoa! This just popped out of nowhere. From the soft, slow pace of the last two tracks, we get a faced paced, frantic beat. Joe goes crazy with the guitar. This is the most shredding he's done on the album since "Cool #9". Epic 10. "Slow Down Blues": literally speaking, this is slow blues. The song picks up around the middle, but I find this track a little too long. 11. "(You're) My World": Ah! The effects are back! Most of the song is wah drenched, which sounds awesome. The main riff and the solo are the best parts. 12. "Sittin' Round": another slow song, I find this one very boring. Nothing much else to say about it. // 8

Lyrics: The only song with lyrics, "Look My Way", are pretty decent, as I have stated before. The vocals aren't that bad, and they sort of add something to the song. As for the rest of the album, Joe lets his guitar do the talking with bluesy riffs and solos // 8

Overall Impression: I love basically any kind of music, so the bluesy, stripped down feel of Joe Satriani is really good. I have nothing negative to say about the album except for the lack of effects. If it was stolen/lost, I would buy it again, immediately. Best songs are: "Cool #9", "Luminous Flesh Giants", "SMF", "Killer Bee Bop", "(You're) My World". // 9

More Joe Satriani reviews rating latest review