Professor Satchafunkilus And The Musterion Of Rock Review

joe satriani: Professor Satchafunkilus And The Musterion Of Rock
Release Date: Apr 1, 2008
Label: Epic/Red
Genres: Hard Rock, Guitar Virtuoso, Fusion
On this album Satriani shines in his ability to hold back and write tasteful verse/chorus songs with memorable hooks.
 Lyrics: 9.4
 9.1
 9.1
Professor Satchafunkilus And The Musterion Of Rock Reviewed by: dogismycopilot, on april 03, 2008

Sound: Of course Satch cranks out yet another album to astonish fans. I picked up the album today and it sounds great! Right up the ally of all-things-Joe. I got the DVD/CD set where he talks about this making of a few songs as well as only being able to play "Crushing Day" off "Surfing with the Alien" sitting down! Great album, read what I have to say about it. 01. Musterion - first track is Musterion, from the greek meaning "mysterious". This track is very ominous; I get the feeling of being in an ally surrounded by all things evil. Very spooky and corky with the guitar coming in with the strong wah giving the sense of almost being watched as you walk the dark streets of a big city. 02. Overdriver - really cool intro! With the octave thing going on, the the bass and drums come rolling in. There is this feeling of almost being in a state of nirvana. The songs then turns out to show something going from serious to happy. Great song, one of my favorite on the CD. 03. I Just Wanna Rock - what is your purpose? So you have never been exposed to a concert before and you stumble upon this great crowd explaining that "I just wanna rock!" This is the story of a robot that has never experienced a concert before and gets a little lesson on rock'n. Great song; my favorite part is the solo that Joe just rips into with just gool 'ol distortion and the pentatonic scale. Great work! 04. Professor Satchafunkilus - very smooth, laid back and with cool effects everywhere! Slow-paced with few notes in between. Strong beat with a funky jazz-like rhythm to show everyone how fly this professor really is. 05. Revelation - possibly one of my favorite songs on the album. Very strong beat with a good guitar riff to follow. I just want to lay back and take in what the world has to offer when I listen to this song. Just giving a thought to a different method of looking at something comes to mind. Love the piano and the doubling of guitars. 06. Come On Baby - what better way to show your love than writing a love ballad to that special someone? that's exactly what this is. The intro lick is just so overwhelming. There is just something about this song that I can't help but listen to it over and over. Few notes say so much in this song. 07. Out Of The Sunrise - a piano is used a lot in this song. Very soft, almost something you might see in a movie as the sun comes up from the Earth in a way to show re-birth or a new life. Cool whammy-effect usage. 08. Diddle-Y-A-Doo-Dat - so when you think you're just the fliest guy around and diggin' your own style, Diddle-Y-A-Doo-Dat! Very hip new-agy kinda sounding. The song about the guy who everyone wants to be cause, well, he's just so fly and out of everyones league. Sweet guitar work, love the all-natural guitar for the solo and the little sweeping run of course. 09. Asik Veysel - Asik was a Turkish poet, singer, songwriter and everything in between. This song was inspired by his life-long journey and his love for music. Very upbeat with a very cool intro tapping thing with both hands. Songs goes on with a lot of delay and panning of the guitar to the left speaker (I soon realized). Lots of usage of open chords with a moderate solo that flows well with the song. 10. Andalusia - this song was also inspired by Asik. The intro is with an Eastern-style type riff played only on the acoustic guitar with hands in the back clapping along with the beat to give the sense of being somewhere not in the states. Great smooth song that flows well then becoming more intense by then being played on the electric guitar. It becomes more fast-paced and harder. Bass sounds great too. // 8

Lyrics: No lyrics, everything this man plays seems to sound extremely vocal. Great use of all tools, instruments and tricks used to make everything sound so full. Love the use of the talk-box, great idea to use it for the robot; I would have done the same! Once again, you should add this album to your collection if you have not already. // 8

Overall Impression: If you liked his Super Colossal album, you will like this one. My favorite song would have to be Asik Veysel. Very rock type of song that might be fun to just improvise over later on when I learn it! Not my favorite album because there aren't a lot of songs on here that are just mean and nasty and down right rockin'. Although they are all great, I just like other albums better. Although I don't like this album a lot, I will listen to it for weeks(and probably change my mind about it). Great album, grab it! // 8

Professor Satchafunkilus And The Musterion Of Rock Reviewed by: UG Team, on may 19, 2008

Sound: Joe Satriani is at a place in his life and career where his shredding abilities are pretty much a confirmed force of nature. So on his latest album Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock, he never feels the need to go overboard by showing off his speed or technical prowess. Instead, Satriani's 11th studio album is an interesting mix of genres that demonstrates his ability to write eclectic and often surprising melodies. There's a little something for every musical taste on Professor Satchafunkilus (a spin off of the guitarist's Satch nickname), and fans should still appreciate the fact that Satriani doesn't have to cater to the radio-friendly masses. The album starts off with Musterion, which is definitely not your typical opener. There's briefly a hip-hop vibe thanks to some scratching (although it very well could be done on the guitar), and then goes into a very cinematic, private-eye-film feel. It's mysterious and laid-back, and it won't necessarily pull everyone in at first. What Musterion may lack in pizzazz it makes up in coolness, and my hat is off to Satriani for his restrained sound on the opening track. It's hard to classify Satriani's album under any one specific style, and that's one of the biggest strengths on Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock. If you don't tend to get antsy when an artist bounces between love ballads, funk tunes, and mystical-sounding creations, then you will probably really enjoy Satriani's latest work. At times he plays with the oft-used robot theme by throwing in some computer-sounding effects (I Just Wanna Rock), then in the next minute takes on a David Gilmour-like sound (Come On Baby). He also delivers some incredibly soulful solos that revolve around unique, emotional phrasing, and those are actually the biggest highlights. A track like Out of the Sunrise sounds a little too poppy for it's own good in the first half with it's heavy use of synthesizers, but it is salvaged halfway through when there's a subtle reggae element that enters into the picture. The most interesting track actually is Asik Vaysel, named after a Turkish saz minstrel. I had never actually heard of Vaysel (also often spelled Veysel) before the Satriani album, and it's recommended that you take a listen to his work first. You can absolutely see the parallel between what Vaysel did and Satriani's Middle-Eastern-inspired riffs throughout the track, and it's very cool that the guitarist is finding inspiration from new sources. // 9

Lyrics: Satriani once again doesn't have any vocals on Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock. As expected, the guitar does all the talking once again, which should be a-okay with fans. // 10

Overall Impression: It's obvious that Satriani has come to a confident place in his life where he can rely on melody rather than just showmanship. Don't get me wrong, there is still some incredible shredding on Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock, it's just that Satriani has found new and interesting ways to impress. The best example is in Diddle-Y-A-Doo-Dat, in which his guitar actually sounds like it's scatting at the end. These are not your typical solos, and that fact alone might not connect with everyone. There's plenty of experimentation going on, but it's never taken to the point of being outlandish. The record is not for those who want to hear track after track featuring ripping rock solos - although the rock is still represented at various points. If you are open to hearing a little flamenco to go along with your distortion (which by the way, he does mix together in the closing track), then Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock will likely affirm Satriani's status as a guitar god. // 8

Professor Satchafunkilus And The Musterion Of Rock Reviewed by: OldHairyOne, on april 02, 2008

Sound: As usual Joe's tone is spot on, at least from where I stand. The use of fuzz and that Daft Punk-esque synthesised vocals thing really are brilliant additions to his normal sound. Satriani says that the strange album name came from just merging song names together. I think every song is at least 70-80% listenable, and should have you air guitaring your nuts off. However, there are some bits, mainly intros, that aren't really that good, or don't flow that well, specifically Overdriver. Don't worry though, when the solo kicks in it's all good. The album does have a certain discourse in that it gets a bit more dramatic/epic near the end, culminating in the flamenco-esque final song Andalusia. // 9

Lyrics: No lyrics apart from on I Just Wanna Rock, and they add the cheesiness to this song that it so rightly deserves. The Daft Punk vocals are in this song, and it fits in with the story that Joe is telling with the song. It's about a robot who goes to a gig and asks everyone 'What is your purpose? ' and the reply 'I just wanna rock'. Then the robot informs us that he want to learn how to rick for us, and plays us a quite robotic sounding solo. So I'd have to give it a 9 here too. // 9

Overall Impression: I find that I can listen to this Satch album straight through no matter what mood I'm in, somehting I couldn't quite do with his previous offerings. Impressive songs, in order of impressiveness: Andalusia, Revelations, I Just Wanna Rock. Overall I'd give it a 9, simply because in my opinions 10 is reserved for perfect albums, and those parts that just don't flow detract from the awesome-ness. And yes I'd buy it again. // 9

Professor Satchafunkilus And The Musterion Of Rock Reviewed by: zeemonkey, on april 16, 2008

Sound: As usual, Joe Satriani's playing is phenomenal. He sticks to his legato a lot in this album. There however is one song that he plays on a spanish guitar and it sounds great, you don't hear Joe play flamenco often. The playing is perfect, there are guitar parts that tease, your waiting for the one perfect harmonic and it doesn't come until later and it catches you by suprise, making the song that much better. Joe plays some funk, some blues, a lot of rock and r&bish in one song. People are turned off by the talkbox in I just wanna rock but I thinkthere are plenty other good songs to make up for that. 01. Musterion - this song has a very mysterious (as the name implies) feel to it. The beginning chords can easily get stuck in your head. Reminds me a bit of Cool #9 for some reason. 02. Overdriver - this song reminds me of the future. When I hear the distorted melody I think of robots and space, Joe's favorite song topic. 03. I Just Wanna Rock - very catchy song. A bit cheesy and AC/DC-ish but it's just awesome. The talk box chorus will get stuck in your head. 04. Professor Satchafunkilus - funky song. Least favorite on the CD because I am not to into funk. 05. Revelation - the guitar tone in this song is perfect. This song sounds very sincere like it's really telling you a secret. 06. Come One Baby - reminiscent of Always with me, always with you, but I prefer Awm, awy. 07. Out Of The Sunrise - nice bluesy and upbeat, the kind of song you want to wake up to. 08. Diddle-Y-A-Doo-Dat - names a bit of a tongue twister and the into/outro riff is a finger breaker I better. It sounds better live but it's pretty good on the record I'm just not fond of the pinch harmonics that he uses, they seem incomplete in this song. 09. Asik Vaysel - this song reminds me of Ireland (see Glasgow Kiss by John Petrucci). Similar to redshift riders from Super Colossal. 10. Andulasia - one of the best songs on the album, imo, it really shows Joe's ability to play technical yet emotional music while picking out the coolest guitar tones ever. // 9

Lyrics: There are no lyrics except in I just wanna rock but in terms of how well the music blends it is perfect. Joe Satriani's indepth knowledge of music theory ensures perfect harmony. // 10

Overall Impression: This reminds me a bit of John Petruccis Reanimation CD but I think I prefer this one. It feels like a continuation of Super Colossal almost. My favorite song on the album is probably Musterion followed closely by Revelation. The riff in Revelation is catchy as well. If I lost it I would buy it again, I better not lose it though, I got it signed by Joe himself. The only think I wish it could improve on is a bit more rock to it, like surfing with the alien. // 9

Professor Satchafunkilus And The Musterion Of Rock Reviewed by: Satchafunkilus, on august 04, 2008

Sound: This CD is one of the best I have ever bought, I love to listen to the new songs from Joe Satriani, even though he's not as young as he used to be he shows in this CD that he can still rock and play with the best of them. The songs are fantastic, Joe kinda tones it down a bit but still the songs have that Satriani sound and the songs are very good. Joe uses a talkbox on the song I just wanna rock and it's great sounding. I'm a bigger fan of his louder stuff but this CD does not disappoint. One thing I woould like to share is that this is one CD that you buy and 9 times out of ten you will love all the songs on it. // 9

Lyrics: JOe does'nt sing in this CD, but he makes up for it by having hypnotic riffs and spectacular effects. Even though there is not any singing this CD is still very near perfect. I have to give this a ten, because if you heard Joe play guitar then you do not need singing. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD highly compares with a lot of my favorite bands, such as The Beatles, and The Rolling Stones. I am not saying he's better, but those bands all have "masterpiece" cds and this CD is Joe's "masterpiece". This CD is quickly becoming my favorite. The best songs on this CD would have to be "I just wanna rock" because it is frankly an amazing song, it's very catchy and you will want to listen to it for hours. Another great song would be "Professor Satchafunkilus" it has riff and when you hear you are going to smile. I love just about everything about this cd, but if you love songs with singing then you might not like this one. I would buy this CD in a heartbeat if it got lost/stolen. // 10

Professor Satchafunkilus And The Musterion Of Rock Reviewed by: wasp2020, on april 04, 2008

Sound: Although I was definitely taken aback at first listen, giving off a big "Ehhh", this is quickly becoming my favourite Satch record. It's a definite departure from the Is There Love In Space? /Super Colossal series of albums, which, although great and musical in small doses, were recorded extremely blandly and almost lifelessly. But this one immediately shows it's unique nature, with a weird, angular track like Musterion, with some tasty solo melodies and bizzarre chord progressions. Or how Overdriver, which might have been yet another typical Satriani blues rock song, is overtaken by strangeness in it's verses, walking the line between avant-garde and typical blues-rock, and with a wholly unusual song structure. You're never quite sure where the songs might be going, which is definitely refreshing. One just has to listen to the second chorus of Revelation, a ridiculously good rock ballad, to realize how adventurous Satch got with his ideas. Then you get songs like the Asik Veysel/Andalusia group which show off the incredibly dynamic playing Satriani excels at so well, but lately only really get to hear live. With this record, you get to hear every bend, every scratch, every nuance of the lead guitar, as if he was actually there in the room. The recording is really something special. And the same goes for the accompanyment, all the instruments, at any given time, are doing something organic, something musical, something interesting, which is incredibly refreshing from the backing-track stylings of Super Colossal. The Profesor Satchafunkilus track is a pivotal example of this, with a dozen dizzying layer of guitars playing their own style that eventually add up to the musical vision. This is definitely a record for people who love interesting layering in their songs. // 9

Lyrics: I guess this goes for guitar playing. The soloing in this record captures his true playing style to a nice, big T. Although we got a few really great, long ones like A Cool New Way (Super Colossal, 2006) and If I Could Fly (Is There Love in Space?, 2004), his solos usually only really jumped out when he played them live. This is definitely not the case with this record. You can really hear him dig into each note, adding a lot of life and energy even in mellow songs like Come On Baby and Out Of The Sunrise. The first-take soloing of Revelation is really evident in it's freshness and life. And the raw energy of the Andalusia jam blows his Flying In a Blue Dream track, Bells of Lal (Part 2), out of the water with it's ferocity in his soloing. // 9

Overall Impression: This is quite possibly the most mature and professional record he's put out to date. From the incredibly emotionally and musically satisfying lyrical lines of Revelation, the sort of dark, funky groove of Diddle-Y-A-Doo-Dat, the mellow, cool summer vibe on Out of the Sunrise, and the emotionally supercharged jam of Andalusia, the record definitely covers a lot of ground. There's the rock, there's the ballads, there's the funk, there's the strange, and there's the world songs. His versatility and creativity while still keeping his trademark lyrical style is definitely this album's shining point. It's raw, it's spontaneous, it's adventurous, and it gets better with every listen. Definitely worth a buy. // 9

Professor Satchafunkilus And The Musterion Of Rock Reviewed by: edbert, on january 23, 2009

Sound: If you're hesitant about picking up Joe Satriani's latest album Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock like I was, don't be. I was expecting an effort similar to his 2006 album Super Colossal (which was still a good album), but when I popped this album in my CD player, I was very impressed. From brooding melodies to crushing rock and roll rhythm, Satch runs the gamut as far as songwriting and playing goes. Track List: 01.Musterion: a great opening track, starts with a cool, bass line then goes into the creepy sounding, whammy bar heavy opening riff with the distorted tone you would expect from one of his early albums. The solo is quite good too. (8/10) 02.Overdriver: starts right out of the gate with a nice heavy riff then goes into a groovy bass line over which Satch works his magic. Imagine a "Satchified" version of Ted Nugent's Stranglehold with a couple really cool breaks in between. (8/10) 03.I Just Wanna Rock: this song is supposed to be about a robot who "just wants to rock". It features a very simple rock and roll riff a-la AC/DC and also nice use of the talkbox. Satch solos like a madman over this rhythm, which made it an awesome opener for his tour. (9/10) 04.Professor Satchafunkilus: very funky rhythm, a change from the previous songs, with cool effects like wah, scratching, and even the octave pedal thrown in. The sound isn't as powerful, and it's more of an experimental track than usual. This song has a sound reminiscent of the Joe Satriani and Super Colossal albums. (7/10) 05.Revelation: I immediately thought Crystal Planet when this first came on. I believe this song was written about the passing of his father. A nice heavy progression in G major with some emotional lead work that fits perfectly. No crazy effects, just pure playing. (9/10) 06.Come on Baby: Joe continues to slow it down with this track. Joe's son Z.Z. convinced him to finish this song and put it on the album. This song features a clean rhythm backed by piano, not typical Satriani by any means. Doesn't fit the rest of the album very well, but still a beautiful song. (7/10) 07.Out of the Sunrise: based on a piano rhythm and has an interesting whammy effect. The change at about 3:00 is really cool with a phaser driven piano and some nice lead work. However, the song is in my opinion too soft compared to the rest of the album, and I wasn't a fan of the piano rhythm. (6/10) 08.Diddle-Y-A-Doo-Dat: starts out with groups of really fast pulloff riffs, then goes into a kick-ass, fuzzed up blues riff very reminiscent of ZZ Top (think Cheap Sunglasses). The break is a total change from the otherwise heavily blues based song, which caught me a bit off guard but still managed to find a place in the song. (8/10) 09.Asik Veysel: again, think Crystal Planet. Begins with a spacey sounding open string lick, then goes into a fast, heavy rhythm, over which he solos seemingly endlessly using lots of harmonics and diads and triads, giving the song overall that heavy Satriani sound. (8/10) 10.Andalusia: begins with a beautiful spanish sounding acoustic guitar. After about 2:00 minutes Satch busts in with his electric and plays his best lead work on the album which features fast runs along with open string licks (similar to the previous track), and at times he'll go back down and play along with the simple Em-C-B rhythm. A perfect closer to the album. (9/10) // 8

Lyrics: Really? It's a Joe Satriani album, which automatically means instrumental, the man sings with his guitar! // 10

Overall Impression: Joe seems to go back to his roots a bit and because of that the songwriting, playing, and overall feel of this album led to his best effort in years, Joe is still the king of instrumental rock! Some songs and parts of songs seem a bit out of place at times which sometimes ruins the mood of the song for me, but I'll attribute that to Joe's experimentalism. Also, if you get a chance to see him live, GO! He always puts on a hell of a show. // 8

More Joe Satriani reviews rating latest review