Strange Beautiful Music Review

joe satriani: Strange Beautiful Music
Released: Jun 25, 2002
Genre: Rock
Style: Guitar Virtuoso
The sound on this album is crystal clear. This album is one of his best, parallelled only by "Black Swans", or "Crystal Planet". It is also better than most other instrumental albums I've heard.
 Lyrics: 7.3
 8.8
 8.9
 8.7
Strange Beautiful Music Reviewed by: TJM2482, on march 21, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is simply amazing. This has some of the best guitar work I've ever heard. It starts out slow and light, gets heavier, and ends on a light laid back song. Listening to this song made me think that heaven just graced my ears. It's pretty amazing for an instrumental album. // 10

Lyrics: There are no lyrics, it's all instrumental, but once again, like every Satriani album, the guitar work speaks for itself. Songs like 'Mind Storm' really pull you into the song, and make you forget that it's instrumental. Its a great experience. // 10

Overall Impression: If you want to listen to instrumental albums, get this. If you want to listen to Joe Satriani, this is an amazing place to start. This album in my opninion is better than Surfing With The Alien, though I have to remember that this album was released a few years ago, and S. W. T. A. was released awhile ago. Overall, this is a guitar masterpiece. If I lost this album completely, and it was deleted off my iTunes, I would go out, and purchase it again. I highly recommend this album. // 10

Strange Beautiful Music Reviewed by: Bkkkk, on august 22, 2005

Sound: This album presents us with a very experimental and diverse Satriani, every song has something else to delight us with, from the melodic "Starry Night" to the heavy riff 7 string guitar work in "Mind Storm" and anything in between, Joe uses different effects to give each song its own tone and feel, Joe's playing is as always clean and pure. Everyone will find something interesting and attractive in this album. // 10

Lyrics: This is a purely instrumental album however I think that Joe has the ability to make the guitar sing and its extremely well executed in this album. // 10

Overall Impression: Joe's albums are very different from eachother hence they are hard to compare however I would say that Joe managed to create yet another masterpiece, I especially love: "Starry Night" for its laid back feeling, "Mind Storm" where you find an effective use of effects to create a great heavy groove that flows within you and makes you wanna move your head, "Chords of life" for its changing pace and motif very nice piece. I think this is one of Joe's best albums, his song writing and executing, his use of effects and the diversity make this album a mustbuy for Satriani fans. If someone stole this album I will go after the thief take the copy and make him buy himself one because everyone should have the privilige of a listen. // 10

Strange Beautiful Music Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 08, 2007

Sound: The sound is overall nothing that Satch hasn't done. The only difference is the Eastern melodies on "Oriental Melody" and "Belly Dancer." The sound isn't bad, but it just isn't really innovative. Satch may switch from genre to genre every CD, but that doesn't make him an innovative musician. I am still disappointed to not hear Satch apply himself; he can play so much better than he does than on this disc, but he never pushes forward. The sound is good, and this is his second best album ever, but in my opinion he needs to push some boundaries; all we get are a bunch of radio-friendly instrumental songs. Sound=good, inovativeness=lack of. // 9

Lyrics: There are no vocals on this album, it's all instrumental. Good thing, too, because Satch was a horrible singer until the next album. Have you ever heard "I Believe" and "Big Bad Moon?" Can you say tone deaf? He picks up for his bad vocal skills on "Lifestyle" and "I Like The Rain" on his next album. // 1

Overall Impression: Overall, it's one of Satch's better discs. He went innovative with the switch to electronica on "Engines of Creation," but then he sticks to the same old rock formula on this one. He's such a good guitarist, but he never applies himself. All we hear from him are 3-5 minute radio friendly instrumentals, nothing new or challenging. It's a good disc ("Is There Love In Space" is still his best), but once again a lack of application makes this just another run-of-the-mill Satch disc. If only he could be as innovative as he was on "Engines." // 9

Strange Beautiful Music Reviewed by: ibaneztron, on june 06, 2011

Sound: The sound on this album is crystal clear. Whether this is due to the 7 string that was used, I don't know, but it is perfect. Every note rings through. The actual music on this is incredible. "The Traveler". Is an awesome track, full of emotion and has a really good chord sequence. Even though it has the same chord sequence as "All Along The Watchtower" in a part, it just doesn't sound like it. There is another love song on this, called "You Saved My Life", which in my opinion isn't such a good song, but is the only weak track on the album. My favourite is "The Journey". This is a very appropriately named song, you really can imagine someone going on a journey to this. It starts with a thundering solo, moves into an awesome verse, then after another thundering solo, moves into an amazing chord sequence, then goes back to a sweet E major. // 10

Lyrics: There are no lyrics on this album, as it is instrumental. There are no words needed though, as the quality of the music itself is top quality. The melodies go perfectly over the chord sequences, but I have come to expect no less of Satch. His perfect melodic sense is showcased here again. I can't rate singer skills, but guitar skills, I can. Joe uses an array of skills on this album, although his whammy bar antics seem to calm down on it. His soloing is on good form, melodic-ness is present. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is one of his best, parallelled only by "Black Swans", or "Crystal Planet". It is also better than most other instrumental albums I've heard. The best songs, I would say, are "The Journey", "The Traveler", "Sleep Walk", "Starry Night", and "Hill Groove". The things I like most about it would have to be the way that, in most songs, he doesn't just move on from an idea, he stays on it, and comes back to it. This is always good, as his ideas are second to none. Something that I don't like is the fact that... Umm... Er... The fact is that there is nothing I dislike about this album. But that's just me. I'm sure other people will find fault with it. If I lost this or had it stolen, I would track down the person who stole it and shout at them until they either gave it back or bought me a new one. Failing that, I would buy another one myself. // 10

More Joe Satriani reviews rating latest review