Time Machine Review

joe satriani: Time Machine
Release Date: Oct 26, 1993
Label: Sony
Genres: Instrumental Rock, Hard Rock, Fusion, Guitar Virtuoso
Time Machine is an excellent double-CD set providing something for just about everyone who's interested in Joe Satriani's music.
 9.3
 9.7
 8.8
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Time Machine Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 31, 2005

Sound: I picked up this CD yesterday because I love and respect great guitar work. I also love instrumental music and I am also a fan of Steve Vai. So I was pretty positive I would enjoy this CD. And for the most part I did, considering I have only listened through it once. Anyway I believe this is Satchs only double album, one side is studio recordings, and the other is live performances. And its a greatest hits one or compilation, whatever you wanna call it. The opener and title track Time Machine is breathtaking. The next song called the mighty turtle head is a more rocking bluesy type track. And thats very good too. The rest of the first disc is either mellow, or typical Satriani rock type songs. I think that on the first disc Satch wants us to see him as a more experimental artist, and on the second disc he wants us to see him as a shredder/good songwriter. And in my opinion the second disc, which is his best live performances is where the album truely shines. It's alot more rocking as well. Whether you want to sit back and relax to the studio side, or you want to rock out to the live side, Satch has the skill and technique to please people and there ears. // 10

Lyrics: The only songs I can hear with vocals are Crazy and Big Bad Moon. And I'm pretty positive it's Joe that's singing. Hes not a bad singer, hes really not. And in fact the lyrics are decent as well. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I'm glad I got this. I don't know if this is the best one to start with, but I can definatly say it's not a bad one to start with. You always hear people saying to start out with Surfing With The Alien, but this is probably just as good to start with. More songs, more variety. You get to see what Joe can do. Sometimes he gets straight down to business, and other times he likes to experment and find out his own abilities whether live or in the studio. My favorite song from both discs are, Time Machine, Mighty Turtle Head, All Alone, Speed Of Light, Banana Mango, Saying Goodbye, Summer Song, Flying In A Blue Dream, Cryin', The Crush Of Love, Rubina, Big Bad Moon, SWTA, and Echo. I am not going to compare Satch to Vai, but I can say that this is just as good as Passion and Warfare (which is often considered his best), and maybe better depending on your own tastes. My only complaint is that some of the experimental stuff on here can't be considered as his "best." If it were stolen I would get it again, but the thing is there are a lot of Satch albums to choose from, so I would look at getting those first. As far as a double album and his best hits CD goes, this is the one I would look to first. There is also good info inside of the CD booklet that Satch fans would enjoy. So basically all fans of Joe Satriani should have this unless they have a lot of his others. I am defianitly reccomending it also to fans of, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, John Petrucci, experimental, and for those who just like hard rock or who can respect good guitar work. There's a good amount to offer here and its a gift to fans of Satch. // 10

More Joe Satriani reviews rating latest review