Vertigo Review

john 5: Vertigo
Release Date: Aug 31, 2004
Label: Shrapnel
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Guitar Virtuoso, Instrumental Rock
Vertigo will certainly please fans of such technically proficient shredders as Steve Vai and Steve Morse.
 Lyrics: 9.7
 8.8
 9.7
 7.8
Vertigo Reviewed by: outside.ice, on april 07, 2006

Sound: I first heard about John 5, in the first issue of Australian Guitar. The article that featured him, basically outlined that he is an outspoken guitarist with some "extreme pickin' skills." I put this magazine down and forgot about the article for a while, until only about a fortnight ago, I was in a record store and I came across John 5: Vertigo. Seeing this immediatly jogged my memory, I bought the CD and was absolutely blown away by the incredible guitar work. The album is an instrumental (no singing) and consists of 13 tracks. John plays all the guitars, banjo, mandolin and lap steel during the album. The sound on this album is a mix of shred, mind blowing guitarwork, catchy country tunes, weird sinister dark guitar, immpossibly hard guitar riffs and to top it off, a boy shouts out "You can kiss my ass!" on track 11; Zugg Island convict. He uses High gain to really that metal tone, but on the softer songs he uses the clean channel. Even if you can emulate the tone, you'll be hard pressed to play his songs. // 9

Lyrics: It's an instrumental! // 9

Overall Impression: Vertigo is like nothing I have ever heard before. It's crazily hard guitar work makes you wanna cut your fretting hand off. It blew me away, John 5 should be much more revered as a guitarist, he is a genius. I found that Sugarfoot Rag, Vertigo, 18969 Ventura Blvd and pulling strings were the most standout songs on the album. The things that I didn't really "get" on the album were the weird effects and voices in the background of some of the songs, just a pesonal opinion of mine. If someone stole this album I would hunt them down, beat the crap out of them and get it back, if I lost it, I would be a right idiot, wouldn't I? By far the best album I own. A must have. // 9

Vertigo Reviewed by: Love_METAL, on may 24, 2006

Sound: John has been guitarist in many bands and played for many people. He reached most fame in Marilyn Manson (1998 - 2003 I think) and Rob Zombie (current guitarist.) Vertigo is the first of his solo albums and is a collection of all of John 5's different styles and techniques thrown into one very diverse album. One second will be a very heavy metal shred song, the next a light jazz or blue grass number. Les Paul told John 5 to make a solo album and Steve Vai called him an under-rated guitar giant, and you can't say they don't know guitars. // 10

Lyrics: This is a guitar solo album. // 10

Overall Impression: This is like notihng you have ever heard and will only really stand out to guitar players who can appreciate what's going on. If it were stolen from me I'd beat up the thief, almost to death. But I couldn't blame them for stealing it, it is amazing. There is nothing I hate about this album, other than the fact I could never be this good! // 10

Vertigo Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 27, 2006

Sound: Wow, there are a lot of sounds to talk about. He can go from a catchy country riff like on Zugg Island Convict, to heavy, creepy solos like on Vertigo. This album was my first introduction to Shred so it pretty much blew me away. John 5 is one of my favorite guitarists because, when it comes down to it, he's just a damn good guitarist. People refuse to give him a chance because of his image, why? So you don't like the way he looks, does it really matter? Anyway, back to the sound. Musically this album makes children wet themselves at the sheer awesomeness. John 5 also shows a lot of his chops. There are many eerie voices used, like in Vertigo and Zugg Island Convict. The thing I like about this album is that no 2 songs are alike. They all sound like they're made from different people. So in conclusion, this album's sound is so awesome it'll pregnate your mom and not pay child support. // 10

Lyrics: No words really, unless you count the little phrases here and there. Gems like, "You can kiss my ass!" and "Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me, for the bible tells me so." But I'll give it a 10 for kicks. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is like nothing I've ever heard. If this album was lost I'd punch myself into a coma. If it was stolen I'd stare at the ground and cry for long periods of time while watching Lifetime eating ice cream gallons at a time, reflecting on why God punishes me so. // 10

More John 5 reviews rating latest review