Sunrise Over Sea Review

artist: john butler trio date: 06/19/2006 category: compact discs
john butler trio: Sunrise Over Sea
Released: Mar 8, 2004
Genre: Rock
2004 album from the critically acclaimed and successful Aussie act, features 13 tracks packaged in a three-panel digipak.
 9.5
 9.5
 9.4
Sunrise Over Sea Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2005

Sound: A great sound from JBT. The trio show their versatility by playing many different instruments to create a fantastic and almost unique sound. I have heard people compare them to Xavier Rudd, and they are similar. Just 1,000,000 times better. // 10

Lyrics: John Butler really comunicates his opinions very well through his lyrics. For example "don't call me hippy cause the way that I look" and "And I don't care what race or what colour or what creed, All that shit don't bother me" shows exactly how Butler sees himself and and world around him. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a must-own album and deserves all the praise it has received. I borrowed it from a friend who was more than happy to share the CD with me. The best songs would have to be: "Oldman" (I like it for some reason), "Zebra" (overplayed by radio stations, but still a catchy song) and "What You Want" (this song really appeals to me, especially in the 2nd verse). The worst song is the final one, "Sometimes", only because it is far too long (20 min.) meaning that most people would not bother listening to the whole song. // 10

Sunrise Over Sea Reviewed by: Y.D.P.B.C, on june 19, 2006

Sound: The overall sound of this album is quite under-produced and rugged. It is resultantly very "real" sounding, a million miles away from most current rock albums. This is the first John Butler Trio album I bought, largely because it was the most available in the shops. I bought it because I heard a brilliant song called "Pickapart", which-despite me barely listening to this kind of music-really gripped me as a brilliant tune, and I had to hear more. The album didn't dissapoint, delivering stonking tunes like Betterman, Treat Yo Mama, Company Sin, Zebra and Oldman. These mixes of rock, country, funk, and acoustic are the typical sound on show throughout the album, but it also offers more reflective quiet moments, like on banjo an vocals songs Mist, and Damned to Hell, and the balladish "Peaches and Cream". John Butler has evidently put a great deal of effort into the making of this album, resulting in a wealth of great tracks. Despite the main melody being carried by a solitary acoustic guitar, it sounds very full all of the time. The riffs are energetic and memorable throughout, and the drums and double bass are unobtrusive, slotting nicely into the songs, not impeding too much on the melody. Lastly, the guitar solos are a real treat. Using wah and Slide to great effect, he coaxes some lovely sounds out of his acoustic. The fact that the guy can really play within his genre helps a lot too. // 9

Lyrics: Now, don't get me wrong here, I love John's voice, but he doesn't strike me as one of the best singers around in terms of hitting notes all over the stave. His strength lies in the fact that his voice is very genuine and heartfelt, particularly on the ballads. The lyrics are sometimes vague, which I like, and are probably about something in particular which I can't quite grasp, and he probably just wanted to leave them open to interpretation. Some are obvious, quite insightful, some seem quite personal, especially on "peaches and cream" for instance. All the lyrics fit nicely rhytmically with the music, and add an extra texture. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the best album I have heard in this vague genre, having not explored this type of music at all, I don't really know what this is like in comparison to the comptetion, but on it's own, it stands up as a quality album, the guitar work is good, but it's the overall songrwriting that wins it for me. My personal favourite track would be "betterman", and coming close would be "Damned To Hell", "Hello", "Zebra" and "Company Sin". If this album was stolen, I would have to track down the thief, castrate/neuter them, and deal some country-rock ass whuppins. // 9

Sunrise Over Sea Reviewed by: canadian_woo, on december 03, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is absolutely amazing. If you are looking for a uniquely sounding Australian rock album there is no need to look any further. John Butler Trio use over 20 different instruments on this album included a Banjo! The albums sound is absolutely unique and amazing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are also very good. John Butler the lead singer of the trio has an amazing voice (there is some critisism that he sounds also identical to Brandon Boyd of Incubus but I can tell you thats complete crap). John Butler has one hell of a voice! // 8

Overall Impression: This is John Butler Trio's first studio album and it's definitely the bench mark that they are going to have to beat. The best tracks on the album are "What You Want" and the amazingly catchy "Zebra" I can guarantee you will have that song in your head for days. If this album were lost or stolen I would definitely go buy another copy, I would actually go and buy two just to make sure I would always have a copy. // 10

Sunrise Over Sea Reviewed by: rocknskate4ever, on june 08, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album is absolutely amazing. I was not sure what to expect when I bought it because I had only read about them, not heard them. Trust me, it was a pleasant surprise. They use a variety of instruments to create their amazing sounds, including a stand up bass, banjo, and Butler's 11-string (without the high octave G) Washburn acoustic guitar plugged into a 1975 Marshall Super Lead. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album convey the message well, as in "Treat Yo Mama" when Butler sings "Don't call me hippie cause the way that I look." Butler's voice is amazing and fits in well with his great guitar playing. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is one of the best I have ever bought. The warm, lush tones of the guitar and the added sound of the banjo and other instruments makes this album a wonderful listen. "Zebra" is one of the catchiest songs ever, I think. "Seeing Angels" is a beautiful love song, and "Peaches And Cream" involves some wonderful guitar playing, as do all of the songs on the album. If it were stolen I would most definitely buy it again. // 10

More John Butler Trio reviews rating latest review