The Long Road Home Review

john fogerty: The Long Road Home
Release Date: Nov 1, 2005
Label: Fantasy
Genres: Rock & Roll, Roots Rock, Pop/Rock
This comprehensive retrospective features, for the first time ever, all of the songwriter's most poignant and enduring hits. Included are seminal tracks from the Creedence catalog, along with the crme de la crme of his solo work.
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
The Long Road Home Reviewed by: bass1991guitar, on august 27, 2007

Sound: You can clearly hear a range of guitars on this compilation as the sound changes throughout the album, especially on the live recordings. The CCR recordings sound a little dated but timeless all the same, a very pleasing sound. And as for Fogerty, well it's just music to your ears. You can hear how Fogerty has changed through the years from the rough but clean CCR stuff to the new "Deja Vu (All Over Again)" that sounds like the Beatles would have today. // 10

Lyrics: You can spot a Fogerty song as soon as the Intro kicks in but you know for sure when that distinct voice comes through the speakers. His voice is made for live performances and full volume stereos. The lyrics are beautiful. I personally love "Deja Vu", considering it's effect on me, (as I don't like political songs) tells me that everything just works. "Day by day we count the dead and dying / Ship the bodies home while the networks all keep score." It's quite moving actually. I also enjoy "Travlin' Band", "Hot Rod Heart" and "Rockin' All Over" due to the great rock n roll atmosphere in the melody but sung with a country twang. // 10

Overall Impression: OK, I have to rib it for something. I have a rather severe problem with some of his own guitar solos. Don't get me wrong this guy can really play but a few of his solos (some are great) just seem to sound like he was bored and strummed a load of open strings. These half heart attempts don't really do anything for me. "Rockin' All Over The World" is a good example. His solo could have been played by a three year old and it may have been better than this 'Shuffled Chords' one. It just won't beat the Quo's I think. On the other hand solos like "Proud Mary" just work so well you find yourself rewinding to listen again. I do like the way the tracks have been organised. Loads of live content helps push the track list along and any half decent live music is a plus for me and should be for any musician. I wasn't sure when I bought the CD. It seemed unworthy to be placed in my record collection but I'm so glad it's there. It just goes to show there is still time to create your own style when you think they've all gone if you know what I mean. It's also easy to listen to and actually made me consider buying tickets to a Fogerty show. // 8

More John Fogerty reviews rating latest review