Curtains Review

Released: Feb 1, 2005
Label: Record Collection
Genre: Rock
Styles: Post-Punk, Lo-Fi
Nearly always inventive, the 11 tunes here collect to form one magnificent piece of art.
 9.9
 9.8
Curtains Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 01, 2005

Sound: When I put on the first track of this album on my CD player, The Past Recedes, my first thought was fantastic sound. It really sounds almost as if John is right beside you. Second thought was this is way different to the Red Hot Chili's stuff. You wouldn't think he was from them. I hear he sat on his floor and played and sang whilst recording himself and then overdubbed with different instruments. I was suprised to see he plays so many. In some songs he's the only one playing. The style in the album is acoustic/piano rock but not in all songs. Fantastic sound overall. // 10

Lyrics: When I bought the album I for some reason knew his lyrics were going to be strange and with some references to angels and no hope. And I was right. They're brilliant too. They just fit into the music so well showing he is a master at lyric and musical organisation just as Anthony Kiedis is. The lyrics in the album really seem to be talking to the listener. I love them in "Time Tonight." In this song he also shows what a great singer he is. He can really reach the high notes. The backing vocals work really well as it is himself doing it. // 10

Overall Impression: Curtains is almost completly diferent to Chili Peppers music which is good because ussually in solo albums the artist gets his friends from his band and ends up a replica of the band but just not as good. This is not the case and is very original. My favourite songs are "The Past Recedes," "Time Tonight" and "Your Warning" to name a few. One thing I really love about it is the booklet. Made from ordinary paper and everything is written by John giving it a homemade look. Only bad things I can think of is that tere is no guitar on "Leap Your Bar" and it's too short. 33 minutes. I would definetly get it again if I Lost it or it got stolen. I wouldn't blame the theif for stealing it either. It is just brilliant. // 10

Curtains Reviewed by: Godzilla1969, on april 04, 2006

Sound: The sound on this CD is terrific. As the last reviwer said, it sounds like John is sitting right next to you and playing. As for the actual music, it is played beautifully. In my opinion, John Frusciante is one of the best acoustic guitar players out there, and he not only plays that masterfully, but he also plays the piano, bass, and almost every other instrument on the album. The style sticks to the same formula throughout: songs that aren't too long, mostly all acoustic, and all very mellow and peaceful. // 10

Lyrics: As far as I can tell, John is a very gifted and inspired songwriter. His lyrics and vocals fit very well with the music. He has a smooth, alomst John Mayer-ish voice. // 10

Overall Impression: His sixth album released in 2004 alone, Curtains is my favorite album of his. The music does not compare at all with that of his main project: The Red Hot Chili Peppers, which I see as a great change when I'm seeking some music with a mellow, peaceful vibe. If it was stolen, I'd definately buy it again. Highlights: guitar solo on "Anne," the climax of "Hope," and pretty much the whole album in general. // 10

More John Frusciante reviews rating latest review