Inside Of Emptiness Review

john frusciante: Inside Of Emptiness
Release Date: Oct 26, 2004
Label: Record Collection
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Indie Rock
Inside of Emptiness won't win any awards for originality, but Frusciante deserves credit for maintaining a high level of quality with such a prodigious output.
 9.2
 9.3
Inside Of Emptiness Reviewed by: fleaflicker182, on march 03, 2006

Sound: This album is brilliant. It ranges from lo-fi grungy rock to beautiful ballady songs. One of the reasons the sound is so good is that John pretty much records on analogue equipment. Listen to the guitar solo on "Look On" and Omar Rodriguez' double tracked solo on "666." // 9

Lyrics: As usual, John has a very wierd way with words, so I don't try to decipher meanings. The way in which it is separated from other singer-songwriters is the delivery and vocal arrangements. For example, in "I'm Around" he does a very interesting thing with one of the sections with two seperate lead vocals singing the same thing as a harmony with slight differences in delivery. Also, I love the chorus of "666." The line "The Drop" is delivered so powerfully (think Dave Grohl at his loudest) and held over a very long period. This guy must have a big lung capacity. // 8

Overall Impression: I also have Shadows Collide With People, and I believe it matches that in quality while maintaining its own style. One thing is for certain. John Frusciante writes for John Frusciante. Best album tracks are 666, I'm Around, and Look On. I think there is nothing bad about this album, except it is too short (about 35 minutes). It improves on Shadows Collide, by eliminating the segue tracks (which I love, but can be annoying when I want to hear the songs). // 10

Inside Of Emptiness Reviewed by: Wackstrings, on december 04, 2007

Sound: The sound on Inside of Emptiness was unique to some extent, with it's blend of synthesizers, John's falsetto and the hard, trashing, distorted punk rock guitar riffs. Interior Two is definitely the highlight for me, it's a great piece of simple, distorted 50's type of song. And I think he even knows that he does melodies best. Sometimes John Frusciante's voice just doesn't cut it for me in some of songs however. It's great that he's free, and isn't too concerned about the public or anything, since he's been said to primarily write his solo music for pleasure. But the song 666 really ruined the good experience that I was having when I was listening to the beginning of Inside of Emptiness. When he gets to the screaming part, it's surprisingly better but the basis of the song just gets to me. But don't get me wrong, it's a great attempt. In a lot of his solo work he might be less-recognized by some musical snobs and critiques, and they might say that he doesn't have much talent because he uses simple chord progressions in most of his songs. They'll be pleasantly surprised when they hear the guitar solo performed on the song Look On. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics were absolutely brilliant and a real puzzle to find out a true, in-depth meaning to it. But I think the energy of the music comes first before the lyrics, because after all he's no Jim Morrison. From hearing We fall into the hands of doom, we're coming out interior two. That just became my favorite song on the album: Interior Two. Everything is great about that song, including the lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: The lyrics were absolutely brilliant and a real puzzle to find out a true, in-depth meaning to it. But I think the energy of the music comes first before the lyrics, because after all he's no Jim Morrison. From hearing We fall into the hands of doom, we're coming out interior two. That just became my favorite song on the album: Interior Two. Everything is great about that song, including the lyrics. I go through phases. Right now it's not in my portable CD player or my boom box. But it will be when I feel like getting an uplifting type of feeling like what I get from listening to Interior Two. Scratches comes second in the ranking of favourite songs on Inside of Emptiness. So I wouldn't buy it again if I lost it, I'd just download a few tracks. // 8

Inside Of Emptiness Reviewed by: SkylarK12, on june 03, 2011

Sound: A classic album, John Frusciante's "Inside Of Emptiness" proves that Frusciante is more then just the ex-guitarist of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Frusciante's voice is so pure and beautiful, especially on the song "Scratches". John's guitar tone is so soulful in the whole record, the best examples being the solo on "What I Saw". John has an uncanny ability to create music that pierces the soul and wraps itself around your heart. The song "Look On" shows John's vocal range and his pure talent as a song writer. To think a solo record could sound so pure, so inspirational (in my case, this record made me want to play guitar), and so unique in the world of copy cats. // 10

Lyrics: Frusciante does not let us down with his lyrics. He is no hack, creating lyrics that deeply affect in such songs as "Inside A Break" and "I'm Around". He does make me laugh slightly, though, with the first line in "A Firm Kick". John Frusciante is probably one of the best rock singers out there today, considering how everyone else is screaming. His falsetto is perfect, his pitch normally is soothing. John Frusciante is something special. // 10

Overall Impression: This record is one of John's best! Every song on this record leaves an impression on you! I love how Frusciante uses his chord voicings in this record and everyone should see that Frusciante is probably one of the last real musicians out there, actually expressing himself through music and speaking to us through lyric and guitar. You may love the Red Hot Chili Peppers (I do when Frusciante is on anything of theirs), but Frusciante was the heart of that band and it's shown here by the pure music pulsing on this record and warming the hearts of music lovers everywhere. // 10

More John Frusciante reviews rating latest review