Shadows Collide With People Review

Tones: Quirky, Trippy, Confident, Rousing, Playful
Styles: Adult Alternative Pop/Rock
 Lyrics: 9.7
Shadows Collide With People Reviewed by: jimmyzkeleton, on march 09, 2004

Sound: When I first listened to this album, it totally blew me away! I have been a fan of both John Frusciante's solo work and his work with the Red Hot Chili Peppers (as well as RHCP work from before the days of Frusciante), but the amount of emotion that I got from "Shadows Collide With People" was not expected. John's first solo album "Niandra LaDes & Usually Just A T-shirt" was a emotionally trip into the mixed up and confused life of Frusciante, using very powerful songs that would only match the tastes of true Frusciante fans. This album however contains just as much emotion and thought that his first album did, but this time he's managed to work it into music that fits the taste of a wider range of rock listeners. John's love for 80's synth rock groups is exposed in this album through more experimental tracks such as "-00ghost27" and "23gointoend", which sound more like something you except to hear on David Bowie's "All Saints" record. Instead of using power solos that just use as many high notes as possible, John manages to create very simple and melodic riffs that can capture the hearts of many and live in their memories. Whether you've heard John's previous work before doesn't matter as it has just the slightest touch of RHCP's new style to pull in their fans (not to mention both Chad Smith and Flea lend their skills to this record). // 10

Lyrics: One word... awesome! Very thoughtful lyrics that get right into the hearts, minds and souls of every living person, exposing the pains and highs that John has experienced, but they are pains and highs that just about everyone can relate to. The only song where the lyrics are let down is in a song titled "Regret" where he only uses two lines of lyrics, but thet are used in such a way that makes them the most powerful on the album. John's singing has improved in heaps and bounds, and the use of many vocal harmonies are definitely something to impress any vocalist. // 10

Overall Impression: This album retains the emotion of "Niandra LaDes" and the melodic tunes of "To Record Only Water For Ten Days", but all is intensified, making one hell of a record that I'm sure a lot will be able to appreciate. // 10

Shadows Collide With People Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 05, 2004

Sound: To put it lightly this album is great. I especially like the way that he uses different sound effects, expecially on the track "Negattive 00 Ghost 27" to create a sense of enormous atmosphere. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are reflective and fit well with the music, he has been through a lot in his life, and he sums it up at the end of "chances" that "i'm not here any more" to the heroin addiction he has suffered. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this album mainly attracted to me because of the fact that John Frusciante is in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, had it not been for that fact, I probably would not have got hold of it. I loved the first song I heard, which was "song to sing when i'm lonely" and then "Water" which has the most catchy bassline, which i am attempting to play. I would say go any buy it, even if you do not like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, because it is entirely inspiring and amzing just to listen to the atmosphere created by the smallest of things in the recording process. // 10

Shadows Collide With People Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 28, 2004

Sound: This is the fourth solo album from the man best known as the lead guitarist in the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The sound of this album is very fresh and creative (like all John Frusciante albums) and whenever you think it's about to get boring, up comes another great song. The creative sound is especially with such tracks as 'Carvel', 'Omission', 'Wednesday's Song' and 'Song To Sing When I'm Lonely'. This is unlike any of his other album's sounds and is the start of something special. // 10

Lyrics: John Frusciante has never been one to stick with regular lyrics, as this album clearly shows, with such lyrics as "driving to eat a carvel cake" and "a blower of hot flesh is a baby/that was the last white stuff I sucked". The lyrics in this album are John's creativity to it's highest standard, and will impress anybody who listens. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is clearly, without a doubt John Frusciante's best solo album, and if he keeps churning out records of this quality, he will soon be one of the biggest names in the music industry. He has gone through hard times and people didn't think he'd make it out. Well thank god he did, and is still producing top quality music/records like this. // 10

Shadows Collide With People Reviewed by: UG Team, on march 05, 2004

Sound: Until this album release guitarist Red Hot Chili Pepper John Frusciante's solo projects have been like a bad acid trip. Surprisingly, on his fourth solo release, he pretty much hits the mark. Most songs heard on Shadows Collide with People, are more structured and confident than those that have come before them, as is Frusciante's voice. In other words, they make more sense. There are exceptions, of course, like Negative OO Ghost and Failure 33 Object, but what's a John Frusciante solo project without a little silliness and misunderstood weirdness? The musicality on most of the 18 (yes, 18) tracks are immense with everything from fuzzy electronic intros and clever keyboards to impressive harmonies and a solid, yet subtle, rhythm section. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics stem from a thinking man's land, many still speak of alienation. Yet overall, John Frusciante is much more accessible on this album. These songs allow you to relate to him less as a strung out drug addict crying for help (as revealed in his previous solo work), but this time around more as a friend or brother. // 10

Overall Impression: The opening track, Carvel and Wednesday's Song could easily be Chili Pepper tracks if Anthony Kiedis were singing them, and that's not a bad thing, but Frusciante sounds just fine as the singer. Technically they are Chili Pepper songs considering Flea plays bass on the album, while Chad Smith drums (yet there is no posturing). Frusciante adds creative direction, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, lyrics and keyboards to songs. The one that best displays his raw talent is on the simple yet sweet Song To Sing When I'm Lonely. There are lots of textures heard here with the haunting and beautiful In Relief standing up to the very different yet rocking Water. // 10

Shadows Collide With People Reviewed by: guitarside, on february 09, 2006

Sound: I must say that I'm a fan of the Red Hot Chili Peppers and I like the things, John Frusciante plays in the band. But when I've heard SCWP I was fascinating! It begins with the rock song "Carvel," and that is one of the best songs of the album. After a few acoustic song, comes a powerful song on electric guitar: "Second Walk." Very awesome! Also the other songs on electric guitar like "This Cold," "Water" and many more are amazing. A lot of songs have synthesizer intros and there are also whole synthesizer songs, like "-00Ghost27". Overall impression of the sound is amazing! You will like it and for guitarists its like heaven. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album are very mystical and sometimes sad. For sure John Frusciante sing often about his past, like in the song "Regret." All in all the lyrics are amazing and exciting. Also the voice of John is cool. // 10

Overall Impression: When you look at the cover you see in the background mountain and in the front big letters. One of the best covers I've ever seen! To the songs: there are one of the best I've ever heard! Synthesizersongs like "-ooGhost27" are a little bit boring, but what's the matter? It's a great album! // 10

Shadows Collide With People Reviewed by: BBradyo, on april 15, 2006

Sound: John Frusciante blends many sounds, some '50s two-step stuff, some '60s sounding stuff that reminds me of Jackson Browne, but he still isn't above slow, haunting, artsy synthesizer solos. There could be a story with this album if you listen close enough there are echos of John's declaration of his heroin habit he kicked years ago. John focused on the artsy side of rock, using melodic, mellow rock that is very pleasing, this is notable album in my opinion. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are interesting, they seem somewhat random, but center around a point. Choruses are rarely used in the songs, its like one long, flowing poem. The lyrics all fit the music perfectly, its actually on the amazing side. John Frusciante is a good singer, he has one of the strongest falsettos in the music industry and an otherwise soft, pleasing voice. // 9

Overall Impression: It's a very unique album, but I think "Wednesday's Song" sounds like Jackson Browne's work in the intro. My favorite songs on the album are "Song To Sing When I'm Lonely" and "Wednesday's Song." I love how mellow it is and how abstract the sound is, I wasn't too thrilled though because I don't tend to like mellow music. I wouldn't buy it again (I've backed it up on my computer), but instead I would probably buy another CD of Mr. John Frusciante. // 9

Shadows Collide With People Reviewed by: TJM2482, on january 24, 2008

Sound: Frusciante's solo work is a bit of a stray from his RHCP stuff, as this album is mostly acoustic work with lead electric guitar for fills and solos. As always, his tone is spectacular. The music is calming, warm, and smooth. A real easy listening album compared to the franticness of some of RHCP's stuff. It's a relaxing album overall, but isn't boring or generic in any way. If you're into acoustic stuff this will definitely appeal to you, as well as the RHCP fans attracted to the overall guitar sound of Frusciante, and an obviously more expanded sound of Frusciante singing (outside of harmonizing and doing backgroun vocals for RHCP). // 10

Lyrics: I really like the sound of Frusciante's voice. In my opinion it's better than Anthony Kiedis's voice. His vocals are pretty consistantly good on this album, but some songs are noticeably straight-forward and basic songwriting-wise. Some songs come off sounding less like songs and more like letters or confessions over acoustic work. I'm not saying it's horrible, it's just a little disappointing at times, since we all know Frusciante is a brilliant man. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, it's a calm, soft, easy listening album. It's the perfect album for when I don't want to hear insane rock/metal stuff. It's soothing, and pretty relaxing. An album you can fall asleep to, but it's not boring by any means. I think it's his best, but Curtains is a fair match for it. I like "Omission", "Everyperson", "Ricky", and "Second Walk" the most. I love Frusciante's voice, it's absolutely for the type of music it is, he's a very emotional singer. The only thing I can dislike about it is the somewhat noticeable filler songs, a case of an album being ~18 tracks, when it should have been maybe 14. If it was compressed without the filler, I feel this album would be one of my favorites. It has a lot of great songs, and has actually made me a bigger fan of Froosh himself than RHCP. Great album, perfect start for those curious about what Froosh does behind the scenes. // 9

More John Frusciante reviews rating latest review