Will To Death Review

john frusciante: Will To Death
Released: June 22, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Lo-Fi
There's almost nothing in the way of guitar heroics and it's far from groundbreaking, but fans of darkly personal skewed pop should enjoy Will to Death.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.4
 9.1
 9.7
Will To Death Reviewed by: over_the_edge88, on july 06, 2004

Sound: The sound on this Frusciante release is less 'Produced' that Shadows Collide With People. And features songs as old as 3 years old on it. This record is also a very different mood to 'Shadows' and I admit, whilst I'm a Frusciante fan, it took some getting used to. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are as always stunning. John's a very talented songwriter, this only really shines through on his Solo records. They leave alot open to interpretation, especially in "Mirror" and "The Will To Death" two of the stand-out tracks on the album. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this record because it's a John Frusciante record! And I don't think it could be pulled off by a lesser, or superior for that matter, musician. You'll know its a John Frusciante record right from the word go, not many artists in my opinion do that. Stand out tracks are "A Doubt", "Loss", "Far Away", "The Will To Death", "Mirror". // 10

Will To Death Reviewed by: kane taylor, on august 09, 2004

Sound: The sound quality on this record isnt as good as shadows collide with peiople (John's last album) but I personally think thats a good thing, but I have given it 4 stars because the majority of people that havnt heard frusciante before will not know how badly the sound quality really does match his voice. The guitar and especially keyboard parts are second to none, with briliiant atmospheric sounds and interesting chords that really do match the sound quality, the sound on this album is best described as echoey, which really works against his powerful voice. // 8

Lyrics: The most noticable thing about this record is how deep and meaningful the lyrics are, and not just that it, is interesting to see how the music really does reflect on these lyrics. The words are personal to John Frusciante and if you know of his past you ill be able to understand them better, but some lyricsarebest left to the imaginatyion, which is another thing that makes this album incredibly deep and interesting, the 4th track on this album loss is heard with the line: "now that I'm gone now that I'm long gone, this minute has come and gone, never said do anything but forgert me" and the great thing about this record is that the lyrics sound quite deep and depressive, but they are hidden behind the kind off music that can only be described as beautiful. // 10

Overall Impression: First of all the last track, The Will To Death is one of the moast beautiful ballads you will ever here. I suppose I should note if anyone doesn't know is that John Frusciante is the guitarist of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but don't expect Johns solo albums to sound like the Chili Peppers music-wise, hoqwever I think more Chili Peppers fans should check out John Frusciante's work, because like the Chili Peppers, the lyrics are still poetic and wondefully placed in to match the songs creative sounds, plus if you love this album you will love shadows collide with people, which is a as deep and as emotional as The will To Death but with a much improved sound quality. But this shouldnt put you off you really do need this album if you are open-minded and to attept to peice together John Frusciantes troubled past. // 10

Will To Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 02, 2004

Sound: If you've heard "Smile from the streetes you hold" or "Niandre lades and usually just a t-shirt" (Johns first two albums) listening to Mr Frusciante's latest album will most likely shock you. It's far lighter and optimistic, but John's distinctive style is still there. The John who wrote this album is clearly a cleaner, stronger John than the one who quit half way through the Blood Sugar Tour. // 8

Lyrics: In "Shadows Collide with People" John was taking a more positive stance with his lyrics, although there was still a clear feeling of guilt and foreboding. In Will to a Death, John has shed his skin. He is clearly love with his girlfriend "I can't disguise the things I do, but the things I say have a way of hurting you." However, John is still burdened with his crippling past, but this time, he appears to be shifting the weight and moving on "The face in the mirror is not me," "Becomings what you do when you die," "No-one means me when they say people don't grow," "Now that I'm gone, now that I'm long gone." The lyrics are beautifully crafted, but again, fans of Johns older work might find that this new optimistic John is too soft and gentle compared to the violence and hurt in his previous work. // 10

Overall Impression: Although this is my favourite John Frusciante album by far, it was written by someone almost completely different to the man playing on Smile from the Streets. If you liked the darker almost suicidal John, this might not be for you, but if you, like me, feel the John who played at Hyde Park, (clean shaven and short haired for the first time since his $70, 000 worth of dental work) is a stronger, better John, then you will be touched and moved by this heartfelt performance. Get it if you liked - "Shadows Collide With People." Skip it if you liked - "Blood Sugar Sex Magik," "Smile From The Streets You Hold." Best Track - #4 A Loss. Tender and meaningful, but still hinting at the insanity of young John. // 8

Will To Death Reviewed by: wiggyisgreat, on august 17, 2007

Sound: I love this album, it has quite a nice sound to it, although it's not as clean as "Shadows Collide With People". It's a very creative album, and the drums from Klinghoffer makes the songs sound deeper than previous albums. All of Frusciante's albums are different in some, and this goes to show it. This album is a lot more laid back than some of his previous, extremely emotional works. It's an album you can tap your foot too and smile. Listening to smoe of his previous works, some of the songs don't compare to them, but overall it is a worth while listen. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics to this album are probably my favourite from any of his other albums. Particularly in the songs "An Excersize", "the Days Have Turned", and "Time Runs Out". The rhythm of the sining in Time Runs Out if beautiful. "Mirror" is an extremely well written piece, a stand out. Some fans of Frusciante's older work may find these lyrics different to his other works, but they're still beautiful. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I don't think this album quite compares to his other works, but to a new listener it is certainly a superb listen. The song "Helical" is a stand out for me, quite eerie and beautiful. "The Days Have Turned" is probably a favourite, and "Mirror" and "Time Runs Out". If you prefer the more depressed, emotion songs John produces, then avoid this album. But if you prefer a more light hearted approach to his music, and generally like his music, then get this album! // 9

Will To Death Reviewed by: Karvid, on july 02, 2009

Sound: This is one of my favorite John Frusciante albums simply because of it's really mellow, almost under-produced sound. It's a very simple style: not a lot of layering and not a lot of electronic effects, which are quite prevalent in much of Frusciante's solo work. Most of the songs are very laid back, and those that are darker still retain that simple quality that makes this album really easy to listen to. However, there are a few instrumental ideas that stand out in the album, including the very rhythmic drums and guitars in Time Runs Out, the sound of rain in Wishing, and the dreamy instrumental song, Helical. My one complaint with this album's sound is that a few songs-- Unchanging, Loss, and Will to Death-- seem to be just a little too similar in places. Otherwise, the album has a very great, easy-going style that is very enjoyable to listen to. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are far better than I had first expected. There are not many straightforward ideas presented; most of his thoughts are presented through metaphors and imagery, and it is quite powerful at times. Many of these lyrics do have a common theme of self-reflection, exploration of personalities, and a tone of thoughtfulness. This is an interesting contrast to the music, which focuses greatly on simplicity. Frusciante's singing here is, musically, a very great improvement from his earlier albums. Although there are many, myself included, who enjoy the deep, emotional, often incoherent vocals of Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T-shirt, this album exhibits some of his talent in conventional singing. It is not as much of an acquired taste, as some of his earlier albums were, so it is much easier to enjoy it with the same laid back feel as the music. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is definitely one of the easiest to get into for newer Frusciante listeners. It's not as experimental or psychedelic as many of his other albums, but it still retains a very distinctive style that John Frusciante has developed in his solo work (which is, by the way, very different from anything he has done with Red Hot Chili Peppers). There is not much I dislike about this album at all. I would not call it a world-changing album with very innovative ideas, but the ease with which the music presents itself makes it difficult for me to dislike it. Although this is not John Frusciante's definitive work, it is a great example of one facet of his musical style, and I have often recommended it to others with good reason. // 10

Will To Death Reviewed by: Kartman, on august 24, 2007

Sound: John Frusciante is undeniably well known as the more quiet yet still flamboyant guitarist of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but unknown to many Red Hot Chili Pepper fans, he has an entire catalogue of his own albums, The Will To Death being the focus of this review. At first glance, The Will To Death seems like your typical, indie-pop record with catchy melodies, simple guitar parts, and a tasteful use of electronics. Although given all this criteria, The Will To Death grows on you. These songs are catchy, fun, and overall well-written. Songs like A Doubt and Far Away will be sure to please many, but this album's simple pop sound can become a bit tedious, as heard on drawn-out songs like Loss and The Days Have Turned but are easily made up but the album's fantastic production. This albums sounds like it was released in 1975, with vocals sometimes being on the hard-left or hard-right. John's vocals are impressive, to say the least. His voice has improved drastically since his "Niandra LaDes" days, and this album is proof. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album are all very deep, with many philosophical meanings that aren't always quite clear to the listener. While John is great instrumentally and vocally, his lyrics get rather stale after many listens. Also, many of his lyrics have a "life and death" sort of theme, with a lot of mention given to both. The Mirror is the most lyrically powerful song on the album, and one of my favorites. These lyrics are deep, emotional and beautiful, all over a simple Piano-arranged song. // 7

Overall Impression: John Frusciante's The Will To Death is the first of the series of "6 albums in 6 months" albums, and are a great start for things to come. The songs on this album are catchy, simple and fun, and are simply amazing songs written by one of today's most favored guitarist. If you're looking for something even remotely related to The Red Hot Chili Peppers, look again. This album is in a completely different realm. This albums is hard to find, but if you find it, I'd recommend picking it up and giving it a listen. In my experience, John Frusciante albums can run a little pricey, but this album is most definitely worth it. // 9

More John Frusciante reviews rating latest review