Little Pictures Review

John K Samson: Little Pictures
Release Date: 1995
Label: G7 Welcoming Committee
Genres: Acoustic
Little Pictures is a solo record recorded between 1993 and 1994 by John K. Samson, then of Propagandhi.
 8.2
 7.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Little Pictures Reviewed by: h-fed, on december 06, 2007

Sound: I've been a Weakerthans fan for a few years now and when I heard that front man John K. Samson had some solo albums I quickly got on the web and found a downloadable version of his second solo album fom the early '90s entitled "Little Pictures". At first listen, I was very suprised by John K. Samsons guitar skills, having played bass in the punk band "Propagandhi" and now playing very basic power chord rythems in his current band "The Weakerthans". Johns vocal skills are pretty much the exact opposit of his guitar skills, in other words, he can't sing. But it adds a certain charm to the songs. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album arnt quite up to par with the lyrics in songs by "The Weakerthans" but they are still very poetic and heart felt. The songs aren't as mature as his new songs but keep in mind that he was only 19 years old when he recorded this album. // 8

Overall Impression: overall, this a great album by an underground winnipeg solo artist. It doesnt't quite compare to any of "the weakerthans" albums but if it were stolen/lost, I would defenetly buy it again. I don't really have a favorit song on this album because they are all great but if I had to chose I would say that my favorit songs are "Little Pictures" and "Sunday Afternoon". If I were to change anything about this CD I would add a couple songs because it's a very short album. // 7

Comments