Continuum Review

john mayer: Continuum
Release Date: Sep 12, 2006
Genres: Pop Rock, Blues Rock
Label: Aware
At every turn, "Continuum" finds Mayer to be a mature, thoughtful, and gifted musician who fully grasps his place not just in the record industry, but in life.
 Lyrics: 9.2
 9.6
 9.5
 9.7
Continuum Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 13, 2006

Sound: Oh my God. Honestly, if you don't like this album, it's 'cause you don't appreciate talent. John Mayer is one of the most talented artists in the world today. The music on Continuum is insanely great. With a relaxing, yet psychedelic feel, it almost feels like a modern Hendrix album (only with better vocals and sound). It's so bluesy, yet he adds rock riffs to it. Honestly man, if you play guitar, get this album! If you wanna learn new methods and styles of play, this is perfect. // 10

Lyrics: His lyrics are truly amazing. Take the time to read some Mayer lyrics, which are filled with metaphors and crazy sayings. Not only is it catchy, but it sounds great and it's deep, man. Really deep. His voice and his lyrics really suck you in, especially on this particular album. "Dreaming With A Broken Heart" has some of the most amazing lyrics I've ever heard/read. Please check out this album. Not only is it a dream for a guitar-player, but it's gold for someone interested in writing lyrics in music. // 10

Overall Impression: John Mayer opened my eyes to many different styles of music that I thought I would never like. It is by far his best album yet and it's as John himself proclaims "perfect". He truly is an incredibly talented guy with incredibly talented musicians by his side. I recommend this album to anyone who thinks they open their eyes to a different type of music rather than traditional 7-minute solos and beer. (Of course, we all love that stuff, this is a guitar site! But please, take the time to realize the effort and musical skill that was put into this album). It truly is some meaningful stuff. I love everything about this album. The sound, the lyrics, the way it's made, the storyline, the look, and I appreciate the talent and the way Mayer is showing us great new stuff. Do not think that this guy is some pussy-rock guy who sings about relationships. John Mayer is a modern-day guitar/lyrical God. Get your ass off the computer and check this album out. Now. // 10

Continuum Reviewed by: sbstrat88, on october 05, 2006

Sound: The sound of John Mayers newly released album is so smooth. I have heard interviews where John says that he has finally found his sound. He says Room For Squares was a start, Heavier Things was getting there, and Continuum is where he wants to be as a mature artist. In my opinion, John Mayer has his own sound unlike any other, and I consider him my favorite musician. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on Continuum are amazing. Each song is perfectly written. One line in Stop This Train says "I'm scared of getting older I'm only good at being young," and when I heard that I could feel what he was saying. Each song has it's own life. There is not anybody that writes like John, he's awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: I can listen to every John Mayer album and never get tired of listening to them, but if I had to pick a favorite, this would be it. I would definitely recommend this album to anyone wanting some great music. I like everything about this album. Every song, all of the lyrics, and the music is great. // 10

Continuum Reviewed by: Sloopy, on november 28, 2006

Sound: This record is a much better album than his previous efforts in my opinion, unless you count the John Mayer Trio's "Try." Continuum really has that homey comforting feeling, and doesn't feel at all like pop mush that he gained popularity for early in the decade. Continumm really bring back blues-rock and gives it a new life so that it can exist with popularity in 2006. John Mayer really knows how to rock that dirty stratocaster tone, although after awhile the songs start to blend together and the production is quite average. // 8

Lyrics: His lyrics are great. I love his use of modern experiences and everyday cliches or sayings. They tug at your heartstrings and bring back memories of times gone past. Overall I'd say they generally fit well with the music. Mayer is a not the best singer in the world but that doesn't matter at all as it helps him keep his down to earth tone. // 8

Overall Impression: This record is a beautiful work. Buy it whenever you have the chance it's much better than his other works in my ears. I really don't like some of the songs though, but they outweigh the bad and the good really shines. I'd would replace this immediatly if it were lost. Get Continuum today! // 9

Continuum Reviewed by: Just_a_picker, on september 14, 2006

Sound: Ok, the only reason I bought this CD was because of 'Gravity' and 'Vultures,' but there is so much more to this album than meets the eye, or ears. With John Mayer on Guitar, Pino Palladino on bass guitar, Steve Jordan on drums, and a few other musicians that I assume are all session musicians, this album has a deep, complex feel to it that really makes you want to tap your foot to the beat of the music. It goes from a poppy feel on 'Waiting On The World To Change,' to a bluesy-feeling 'Gravity,' to the psychedelic rock cover of the Jimi Hendrix classic, 'Bold As Love.' I give sound a 10 because it has a complex feel, yet it could be considered easy listening. // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics once again show the genius of this man. All but one song ('Bold As Love') was penned by him. His lyrics stand out as being metaphoric, deep, and soulful, while complimenting the music and maintaining and even flow while getting the point across. Let's face it though, Mayer isn't really that great of a singer with the whole breathy thing, but he's singing in key in time and rythym, and has a pretty decent range. His voice does, however, compliment the feel of the music, almost as if he recorded the record in a bedroom where someone is sleeping. I give the lyrics an 8, because sometime's you may/may not completly understand what he means. // 8

Overall Impression: This is John Mayer's second-best record, with the best being 'Try!'. I find that my favorite song from the album is the only cover song here, 'Bold As Love.' He is one of the few people that can pull off 3 Hendrix songs, and do them excellently. The first track, 'Waiting On The World To Change,' comes in close second. I highly reccomend this album to anyone that likes John even is the smallest sense, to the most die-hard Mayer fan. I'd reccomend this to just about anyone willing to give it a listen. If it were lost or stolen, I'd first look for it, just to make sure. If I couldn't find it, I'd go buy it again. At only 10 bucks at Wal-Mart, it's not that big of a price to pay for a brand-new album. Once again, I'd most definitely get this album, you won't be disappointed. // 9

Continuum Reviewed by: TUMFP, on september 14, 2006

Sound: Just great! The sound quality is beautiful, the instruments together create a graceful yet penetrating sound. It is soothing and bluesy and all mixed to one. Really, I honestly enjoy this album. A bunch! It is sort of a mix betweeen his blues/pop with mixed in more r&b on a few. It works real well. I highly recommned this album. // 10

Lyrics: For those of you whom know John Mayer you know he is a very clever, sentimental writer, and once again he is but still his lyrics are not similar to his pre stuff. This is another new sound and style for John. His lyrics on all of his songs are true real classy lyrics, all written by himself, John Mayer (minus "Bold As Love" (Hendrix), and "In Repair" which he co-wrote with Charlie Hunter. And Hunter plays on this song as well, and we all know Mr. Hunter is a very accomplished guitarists as well). Overall great lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: It is similar to his previous albums in the fact that is unique and just from listening you can say 'O, that's John Mayer.' But it is different for that same reason, you can tell it is John beacause of it's uniqueness. The style/sound is unlike others out there creating music today, and they should take lessons from it. Really a great CD. I highly recommend it, highly. If it were stolen I would not doubt buying another ASAP. Plus to the guy who said he ruined "Gravity" he's wrong. "Gravity" is a damn good song. // 10

Continuum Reviewed by: vampwizzard, on september 14, 2006

Sound: This is a mellow album like John Mayer's previous solo albums, however that's where the similarities stop. Mayer did not play the majority of the instruments on this album, and it shows (in a good way). There are organs, horns, and various other instrumentation that compliment Mayer's newfound exploration into blues. He plays complex and amazing blues solos on this cd, on such tracks as "I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You)" and "Slow Dancing In A Burning Room". He also did a bluesy cover of Hendrix's Bold As Love. Simply amazing. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics were pretty good on this album. Very poetic, very much about love, and metaphoric and up to interpretation. Good enough for me. // 9

Overall Impression: Of music today, John Mayer is perhaps the best as far as guitar and blues goes. There's nobody like him in the mainstream, and his loyal fan base from the pop years should take to his brand of blues. If you want to see someone who got Hendrix right, and incorporates all of the past of blues rock into a modern sound, check out this album. I dare you to learn the licks. It's catchy, it's good, and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. // 9

Continuum Reviewed by: dan_binmunk, on april 03, 2007

Sound: After the success of the Try! album and tour with the John Mayer Trio, Mayer himself went back to the studio with Trio drummer Steve Jordan to create Continuum, his third album, and the first to be made in Mayer's latest blues-rocker guise. On the subject of the album, Mayer has remarked that working on this album has been the first time where he 'wasn't half-assed.' This personal realisation that his previous albums were not all they could have been to Mayer makes the marked change in tone and feel of this album a revelation. Throughout the album Mayer plays the blues-influenced soul-man, and pulls it off with thrilling results. Opening track and Grammy-award winning single 'Waiting on the world to change' sets his stall out with good effect, Mayer's voice has never sounded so good, and backed by some breezy pop, makes for a good transition from the acoustic-pop of 'Heavier Things.' The first half of the album is nothing less than spectacular, in fact; 'Belief', 'Gravity' and 'Vultures' stand out as instant classics, placing Mayer in the company of his legendary peers/heroes Clapton, Hendrix and Vaughan, 'Vultures' even conjuring vague images of The Eagles at their slinkiest. Even when Mayer digs out his acoustic guitar, such is the change in influence and style on this album that 'Stop This Train' a lovely song for his parents, has a blues slant in its forceful picking of the strings. Mayer clearly doesn't want to sit back and strum anymore. The whole feel of the album is warm and laid-back yet focussed, making it Mayer's best sounding album at least. What is more impressive is that he now has classic songs at his disposal. // 10

Lyrics: Mayer is a clever songwriter, and his lyrics, whilst almost always about relationships (though he does stray into the quasi-political on 'Waiting...'), use thoughtful metaphors and very human sentiments. This is a man clearly who thinks a lot and has a very balanced point-of-view. There are songs on the subject of his own muse; 'Gravity' and 'Vultures', society's ills; 'Waiting on the world to change' and personal issues; 'Belief' as well as the love songs 'Dreaming With A Broken Heart' and 'I'm Gonna Find Another You'. // 9

Overall Impression: This was the first John Mayer album I listened to, and upon sitting through it the first time, I was literally blown away at both the musicianship and feel of the record, and the songs. The songs are fantastic, and it confuses me that I hadn't come across his music sooner, as this is one of the best albums not just of 2006, but of the 21st century so far. It works best as a complete entity, with stand-out songs of course, that fit seemlessly into what I see as a flawless record. A modern classic in every sense, people don't make albums like this anymore, which can only be a compliment to John Mayer in what he wanted to achieve with this record. // 10

Continuum Reviewed by: Bmace15, on january 05, 2008

Sound: John Mayer is definitely one of the most talented guitarists of our time, so it is not a surprise to me that this album is so popular. His deep lyrics and combination of rock, country and blues flow perfectly to create this great album. The only issue I have with the album is the backing beats to johns playing my thought is that maybe he could spice them up a little, but overall truly a superb album. // 10

Lyrics: He has a great voice, and he really knows how to write music that will appeal to the common listener. His vocal range is truly remarkable, but his voice does crack now and then. He definitely directs his music to the female listener, but also impresses males with his ridiculous guitar skills. In the Continuum special edition he has live performances of some of his songs, and personally I don't think it's really worth the extra dough. // 9

Overall Impression: I think this is one of his best albums yet. Although it can't compare with some of the legendary albums we all are familiar with it is still of very high quality. My personal favorite of the songs is Slow Dancing in a Burning Room, the musical composition of this piece is truly remarkable, It is a great album if you cut out the EP performances. If it was lost or stolen it is an album I would absolutely buy again. // 9

Continuum Reviewed by: theneildeal, on january 07, 2008

Sound: To many, John Mayer's switch to the blues may have come as a surprise. People saw him as a pop crooner who could play guitar, but dedicated fans knew that a bluesy studio album was on the horizon. John's work with the Trio is evident on Continuum, and it feels that he has finally made the album that he wanted to make. John spoke about his love for the blues, and the heroes that he grew up listening to, but Room For Squares and Heavier Things only showed glimpses of his blues potential. Continuum is nothing short of spectacular. The album has a song for every mood, which is one of the things that I love most about the album. He brings Hendrix, SRV and Clapton into the 21st century, but makes the sound his own. Few artists would have the audacity to cover Bold As Love, but John plays majestically, and brings Hendrix's hidden gem to the attention of millions. The album is about the end of a relationship, and coming out of it strong. But don't think that the songs are depressing or boring. John has created 12 masterpieces. // 10

Lyrics: His lyrics show his maturity and confidence. He has moved away from his reputation gained from "Your Body Is A Wonderland" and has moved on to deeper subjects. Waiting On The World To Change is a prime example of this. I have always loved John Mayer's voice. His soulful tone creates the perfect atmosphere for each song, and he leaves you hanging off every word. His voice is subtle and relaxing, and uses falsetto in just the right places. I think that the music fits the lyrics really well. Neither one overpowers the other, and it's easy to appreciate both aspects of the song at the same time. // 9

Overall Impression: I don't remember the last time that I heard an album where every song could chart high as a single, but this album is certainly one of them. It's simply that good. My favourite songs from the album are Stop This Train, Gravity, and In Repair. Although to be honest, my favourite songs changed every time I listened to the album! To me, that's the sign of a great album. Maybe he will lose some of the teenage girls that adored Room For Squares but he has become the artist that he wants to be. I, for one, am glad that this has happened, and I can't wait to hear what he does next. Continuum is a modern day classic. It infuses blues, acoustic, and pop perfectly. I can't think of anyone else who can do this a well as John Mayer. He is in a league of his own! I hope that Continuum is a sign for things to come from John Mayer. If he keeps releasing albums of this calibre, then one day he will take his place along side his heroes. As a big Mayer fan, I have seen live performances of these songs on the internet. But after watching them, the studio versions seem a bit stale and boring. If you buy the album, check out some of his live performances. They will blow you away. John Mayer is pioneering the 21st century blues revival. This album will certainly get more people into the genre. He has made the blues accessible to everyone. If I lost the album, would I buy it again? Without hesitation. To conclude, Continuum is undoubtedly one of the best albums of 2006. I strongly recommend it to anyone. // 10

Continuum Reviewed by: arg_89, on july 01, 2010

Sound: In my opinion, Continuum is John Mayer's best and most musically sound album. It's a great album to sit back and listen to to help you unwind. The album is very mellow and bluesy, but at the same time edgy and interesting. John uses many interesting tones and textures on his guitar tracks that blend together very nicely with each other. This album shows how far Mayer has come since he came onto the scene as a pop artist in 2001. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, this is also John's best album. He's writes on a variety of topics from love, to life, to society. The vocals are also very well done, blending very well with the tones he uses on his guitar tracks. Lyrically, my favorite songs are Waiting On the World to Change, Belief, and Stop This Train. Being a young person in today's world, I can relate very much to what John has to say on Waiting on the World to Change. Perhaps my favorite lyric on the album comes from Belief: Belief is a beautiful armor, that makes for the heaviest sword, like punching underwater, you can never hit who you're trying for. I think that most people can relate to the lyrics in Stop This Train. Everyone at some point in their lives have wanted to Stop This Train' of life that we're on and slow things down. Lyrically, I think John presents an album in which many people can relate to in some way or another. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, Continuum is one of my favorite albums from this era of music. Mr. Mayer shows us that there are still people out there who care about writing albums instead of writing singles. The songs pull together very nicely to create a mellow, bluesy sounding masterpiece from one of today's best all-around musicians. If I had to rank my favorite tracks, I would do so in the following manner: 01. Vultures 02. Belief 03. I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You) 04. Slow Dancing In a Burning Room 05. Waiting On the World to Change 06. Gravity 07. Stop This Train 08. Dreaming With A Broken Heart 09. Bold As Love 10. The Heart Of Life 11. In Repair 12. I'm Gonna Find Another You // 10

Continuum Reviewed by: mikethelegacy, on august 26, 2013

Sound: John Mayer's "Continuum" is nothing short of a modern blues masterpiece. Blues "purists" would argue that fact until they die, and while John Mayer might be mixing the blues and pop genres, he does it in a respectful, and pleasant way. Starting out with "Waiting on the World to Change" was really a great decision. The song is uplifting and really opens the whole album up beautifully. The tone John is able to achieve not only on this album, but when he is playing these songs live is unparalleled in this genre. Clapton, SRV, Carl Weathersby are all greats in the blues genre, but I challenge the clean tone John achieves in this album with any of them. Some of the coolest pedal effects I've ever heard on "I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You)" and "In Repair." My personal favorites on the album are: "Gravity," "I Don't Trust Myself," and of course, the amazing "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room." Honestly, I could list every song on this album in my "Top 20 Favorite Songs". The album is literally a masterpiece. A true virtuoso. P.S. There is a great Hendrix "Bold as Love" cover as well if you are into that sort of things. // 10

Lyrics: "Dreaming with a Broken Heart" and "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room" are too insanely deep, heartfelt, songs. John is so much more than the average pop love-song-writing fools that are out in the market today. You can hear his artistry and that is one of the most difficult things to achieve in the music industry. Melody and lyrics have to work harmoniously in order to achieve a truly heartwarming song, and John achieves that in almost every song on "Continuum." You can't help but head-bob on a lot of these songs, and lyrically, his relatability is unparalleled. "Continuum" is definitely an unmatched album in the world of blues - pop and it will be a difficult on to match for John. He still has yet to even come close with his latest three albums. In fact, the only thing that matches this album's heart and intensity is the live "Where the Light Is" concert in L.A. // 10

Overall Impression: I would buy this album as many times as I need to. In fact, before I joined Spotify, if I wanted to listen to this album and couldn't find it, I would buy it on iTunes wherever I was. I can honestly say I've purchase this album 10 times with not a single regret. "Vultures" is one of the most creative songs I have every heard. Who would think to put those pedals together and play that funky, incredible lick. The best part, "Vultures," while being one of the more simple songs in terms of technical ability, is probably one of the most complex in it's ability to just flat out capture your attention instantly. To me, this is why John sticks out front and center in the world of blues. It's great to be the best guitar player in the world, like Weathersby, or SRV, but if you can't capture the masses, and bring people to your music, all of the technical ability in the world is for not. I think of John Mayer not as a musician, but as a composer, writing beautiful compositions that are not only soulful, but uplifting. Honestly, if you don't like "Continuum," you just hate music.

// 10