Heavier Things Review

8.9
 8.4
 9.4
Heavier Things Reviewed by: DownInAHole., on august 24, 2006

Sound: If anyone wanted to hear the same album over (i.e. a remix of Room For Squares"), don't buy this album. All musicians evolve over time and writing a second album 1/2 as good as the first is phenomenal nowadays. This is a hipper, more techno beat than the more acoustic 1st album, however it does show more of the talents of Mayer. I love John, (admittedly has had the best live performance I have ever witnessed) and he owns the music. It feels personal and not just the same song over and over. He is a true muscian and his guitar whether acoustic or electric rocks. So I urge anyone who is into change to enjoy this album. // 8

Lyrics: Mayer is a very unorthodox singer but I think he can really sing. His lyrics are really fresh and original and most of all, from his heart. That's very important in a good musician. I love the faces he makes when he sings. His lyrics blend very well with his funky jam style guitars. // 8

Overall Impression: It's a beautiful album with great emotion and thought put into every note and every word. I'd like to remind everyone that John wrote the lyrics and music. He really is an amazingly talented musician, but he doesn't get the respect deserves cause his first album was a little on the pop side. Please also listen to "Try" and you will agree with me that he is one of the greatest guitarists and musicians today. Oh and I'd like to add that he is the only artist I know of that sounds better live than on the album. (Again listen to "Try". It's crazy, the only indication that the album is live are the screaming fans. His vocals and the music is just so flawless.) If I lost this, I would definately buy it again. And also, if you like Third Eye Blind, Brian Clopton, and Dave Matthews I really think you should Jofn Mayer out. // 9

Heavier Things Reviewed by: Frodobagins32, on may 18, 2004

Sound: Album is teeming with some rock some jazz and even some blues. Songs like "Come Back To Bed" is filled with blues inspired riffs and the whole cd has creative music. The songs all differ quite alot and they are all well written and very pretty and fun and good. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazingly wonderful. I have never heard someone who could create such unique and meaningful lyrics. These lyrics are out there and funky and fun and meaningful. They convey some wonderful metaphors in a laid back way. This is wonderful song writing. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I would say this is the best album I own at the moment. It's filled with great songs and great guitar work. This is an amazing record and I would definitely say go buy this album if you want some amazing good and fun music. // 10

Heavier Things Reviewed by: ugthanamug, on september 13, 2003

Sound: The sound in this album is a bit more band oriented than the first one, which was more guitar oriented. He uses more effects and electric guitars, so the album has a stronger feel to it. But it also has a great fres sound and very original composing. Very Well done, excellent. // 10

Lyrics: His lyrics are as meaningful as ever, and the lyrics in this album show that he has matured a great deal in the past couple of years. He is no longer lost, and he now knows what he's doing and should continue to do. His first album had much fear and confusion, many hopes and dreams. In this one, many of his hopes and dreams have been realized and he seeks something more now... // 10

Overall Impression: This album is at the top of my list among every artist out there. Some impressive songs are "Bigger Than My Body, Clarity, Split Screen Sadness, and Daughters" I love his new songs and everything about his songs except I would have liked a little more acoustic-ness. Also, it left me wanting more tracks as it only contains 10. If it was stolen I might buy it again. And it is surely worth buying, great music. I HIGHLY recommed buying this CD as son as you can it's a great buy. Plus it comes with 3 streaming online video extras, that are awesome! // 10

Heavier Things Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 27, 2003

Sound: John Mayer is a stupid hippie. He should learn how to play and write a good song that people could actually think about. Every sing song on the album is basically all chords which is really corny. People like him and Jason Mraz are bringing back corny stupid hippie music that will be sure to, sooner or later piss people off. Stop while your ahead John. // 4

Lyrics: John Mayer is supposed to be one of the "good" artists out their that people can listen to without becoming screwed up. But all his lyrics really talk about is sex. "Your Body is a Wonderland." If you can not see the sexuallity in that then you are an idiot. // 2

Overall Impression: I can't even compare this crap to anything else. In a few years John Mayer will be unknown. I hate everything about his music. The lyrics have absolutely no point to them, they guitar is all chords which is really corny, and he is a hippie. // 2

Heavier Things Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 13, 2004

Sound: Much more jazzy than the two previous albums. I like some of the hooks in the more up-tempo songs, but all in all it's a good sound for him. // 8

Lyrics: I like the lyrics, I think that Split Screen Sadness is one of the songs that really shows off Mayers songwriting skills, but Daughters, Wheel and Something's Missing are also proof. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this album is comparable in quality to Inside Wants Out. Depends on the feel you're after. Inside Wants Out was definitely a softer, more delicate approach, Room For Squares was more up, this one is following the more up, but done with a jazzy effect which is incredibly suited to the lyrics. Well done John Mayer. The most impresive song overall is definitely Split Screen Sadness and Come Back to Bed is one that gets inside you slowly. If it went missing? I would definitely buy it again. John Mayer makes me feel, as a musician, that we have a chance to grow out of pop and head toward a more mainstream jazz feel. // 10

Heavier Things Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 16, 2004

Sound: I have always thought John's playing styles were awesome. He knows what he's doing when it comes to playing his instrument. He gets very involved with his playing, especially in his concert (for anybody who's ever been to one, you know). A lot of times he has been placed under the category of pop music because of his soft tempos and abilities to hit high notes. This is true only to an extent. What you have with this album is an adult alternative genre with a bluesy twist. Hats off to you John, you deserve since you've dedicated years of playing to your guitar. For the guy that gave this album a bad rating is probably some heavy metal punk who couldn't come close to playing the stuff on it, so a word of advice to you, go lock yourself in your garage where you belong and strum your stupid power chords. // 10

Lyrics: Another perfect score for the album on the lyrics. A great job just like Room for Squares. He has an awesome talent for creating very vivid lyrics that are much more meaningful than the lyrics of most songs these days. I know that like myself, others do get tired of hearing songs about sob stories of how somebody lost their girl or getting revenge on a lost love, it seriously gets old. I've personally tried to sing while playing his stuff, and I admit, it's hard to do. He does any awesome job of singing while he plays. // 10

Overall Impression: I agree with the other guy, Heavier Things is at the top of my list, right along with his last album. "Something's Missing" and "Clarity" are really amazing. They both have great lyrics and a good follow up on the playing. I love that it's an album that's got plenty of rythm. I'd have to buy this album if I lost it or got it stolen. It's worth every penny you spend, especially if you're an aspiring guitarist that wants to hear talent. Get out there and buy this album as soon as you can. // 10

More John Mayer reviews rating latest review