Room For Squares Review

john mayer: Room For Squares
Released: September 18, 2001
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Adult
This album is one that Mayer fans won't wish to pass over.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.2
 9.5
 8.9
Room For Squares Reviewed by: takenthecannoli, on june 06, 2008

Sound: The first I heard John Mayer, it was due to a suggestion from a friend of mine, and I'll be honest and say that I was very skeptical, as bad as popular music is these days. Well, I listened to his second album and it's the best thing I've heard all year. "Room for Squares" (2001) supports the acoustic hype, and kind of reminded me of a less-known acoustic artist, David Wilcox. However, Mayer's voice is unique as his music (no offence to aWilcox. In fact, I highly suggest Mayer fans look him up) and his music is great. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are really, really well written, especially for a second album. I enjoy every single song, as good as his voice and general music is (and lyrics, of course.) The lyrics and music blend together really well, with some really good acoustic tracks being "No Such Thing," etc. I know the staff at Ultimate-Guitar don't appreciate glowing reviews, but John Mayer is that good. However, some of the lyrics are kind of, can I use the word lame when it comes to Mayer? 8/10, anyway, for a really good album. // 8

Overall Impression: I actually like this more than the followup album, 'Heavier Things' (2003). I can't find the debut album anywhere, but as soon as I can, I'll take a listen, though it's an EP and many of the tracks ended up polished up on this album, including some of the really great tracks like "No Such Thing," "My Stupid Mouth," and "Neon." The best tracks on *this* album include those three and "Your Body is a Wonderland" and "City Love," the latter of which incorporates a blues-ish sort of sound. I love Mayer's great voice and playing skills. Great job, 9/10. It's no wonder he's at the top of the charts. // 9

Room For Squares Reviewed by: starbomb13, on july 15, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album is very soothing and pure. I love the acoustic guitar that creates such beautiful music. When you have the acoustic guitar accompanied with john's snging, it's really something. His voice is very refreshing to listen to not everyone would like his voice, but like some people, I do. If you ever saw him sing live-or just one of his live videos, you would notice how it's like he slobboring over the microphone, but that's his style, and it works. // 10

Lyrics: I'd say the lyrics are mainly for the benefit of the chicks. If you're a guy, listening to the album probably would make you feel uncomfortable or perverted... Maybe? I like his lyrics. They're not too deep or personal, but they're songs that girls would love especially coming from John. He doesn't have the best voice-as in Christina Aguilera singing, but I don't really think that if you could hit the hardest notes makes you a awesome singer. I think it's your style of singing that matters the most John has style that doesn't really sound like other people. // 10

Overall Impression: The songs are mostly acoustic - perfect for listening to at night in bed. If you like the soothing, natural, pure,raw sound - you'd like John Mayer. I love everything about this album - it's catchy enough and all. If it were stolen or lost, I'd probably buy it again. // 10

Room For Squares Reviewed by: Nye 12, on march 10, 2008

Sound: I was really impressed with this album because first of all it's so different from his style of music now. I know that I'm really late in getting this album but my first John Mayer album I got was Heavier Things which was really the transition from his kind of slow kind of agressive acoustic style to a blues and rock sound. Not to say that Continuum or any of his other albums are bad but I really think that this was probably his prime because he still wasn't known by the public yet so he was just doing what he did. This album features a heavy handed pop sound like his song No Such Thing and 3x5. It also has classical style picking and slow pop rock kind of sound like his song he won a grammy for Your Body Is A Wonderland. Room For Squares overall is a great album and I think that one attribute to John Mayer's talent is that each album is not exactly the same so he keeps us going "Huh?" Now I think that his rise to popularity in the Blues Rock and Pop Rock has changed him to a point that he feels that he has to give the public what they want. Though I have to say after seeing him perform at the grammys this year I noticed that he has changed his hair back to the way it was. Does this mean he might be changing back to his Pop rock days? Mabey, mabey not but I do feel after releasing Continuum that his style will changed, even in the slightest degree. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are really no different from his other albums. I personally feel that the lyrics on this album are probably his best because they really explain him as a person with out being strange or anything like that. There really isn't much more to say about his lyrics, yea they are really good but that's really it. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I fell that this may his best album because all of his songs on it are appreciated. Other favorite artists of mine are Lynyrd Skynyrd (strangely enough) and Montgomery gentry and the thing that is different about John Mayer and them is that they all have a "favorite" song but when it comes to John Mayer all of his songs are a favorite because they all have a way of grabbing of your attention. No doubt Room For Squares is one of John Mayer's best albums, even if it's the oldest. // 10

More John Mayer reviews rating latest review