Try! Review

artist: john mayer date: 04/02/2007 category: compact discs
john mayer: Try!
Release Date: Nov 22, 2005
Label: Aware/Columbia
Genres: Album Rock Pop/Rock, Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, Blues-Rock, Singer/Songwriter
John toured as a power trio with studio pros Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino and recorded the live album Try! while on the road.
 Lyrics: 8.9
 9.3
 9.4
 9.1
Try! Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 15, 2005

Sound: For starters, I've been waiting for this CD forever. When I threw it in my CD player; I was in heaven through all 11 tracks. The new trio John has formed has the unique power a well formed band should have. Each musician (Steve Jordan - drums, Pino Palladino - bass, John Mayer - guitar) is quite obviously very experienced. The timbre of each instrument melds perfectly together. I was slightly (now that's very slightly) skeptical that John could really pull off the blues sound, the sound you would only expect from aged blues artists, but he did it. They did it. Quite well, at that. Have you heard his solo on 'Wait Until Tomorrow'? // 10

Lyrics: The first track seems like John's lashing out at those who didn't know his other side, his blues side. When he sings 'Who Did You Think I Was' I just smile and nod at the fact he did go out and make this trio, a blues band hes been waiting for. With the cover of Jimi's 'Wait Until Tomorrow', John hits it. Of course, what else would you suspect? Gravity turned out really well. Its a very heavy song, Johns new blues. Another Kind of Green is really fun as well, I continually repeat that song. // 9

Overall Impression: You can't really compare Try! to Heavier Things Or Room For Squares, just because it isn't really the same genre. It is John, but not the John of today. I haven't heard a better trio since the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Specially noted tracks: Good Love Is On The Way, Another Kind Of Green, Try, Wait Until Tomorrow. If this was stolen, I would find out who stole it, whether they like listening to John Mayer or the CD; if yes, then politely ask for it back and tell them they should buy their own; if no, then beat them with my arm as hard as I could, kick them and stuff, then take back the CD. If it was broken during the kicking, I'd go out and buy 4 more, just cause it is that good. // 10

Try! Reviewed by: shorabali, on december 05, 2005

Sound: This album is a blues trip. I love John's style of guitar playing. I find it original and unique and when he took it to the blues level he simply blew me away. For the original songs he made for the album, it has the same uniqueness that we know but he solo skills have improved so much. The solo for his cover of Hendrix's Wait 'Till Tomorow, is so agreesive and emotional. I give the sound a 10 caus eit blew me away. // 10

Lyrics: Well this album was mainly more guitar work, very few of the songs have interesting lyrics. Who did you think I was? And Another Kind Of Green has some decent lyrics, but overall, it's blues so don't expect much. // 7

Overall Impression: If you are feeling for bluesy styling in John Mayer work go for it. But for you people who really prefered his pop side skip it, you might get tunred off. Most of the songs off the album are great. Good Love Is On The Way was good at first but it gets annoying after awhile. The same's goes for Gravity. I love how mcuh john has progressed guitar wise and I hope to see more when continuum comes out. If this album was stolen I would definately by it back but I doubt it since my society prefers party music. // 10

Try! Reviewed by: your hero, on december 21, 2005

Sound: Many people questioned John Mayer's ability to play the blues, but in this CD, he shows that his power with music doesn't stop with alternate rock. Mayer has the gift of a blues voice as well as the gift of playing a great blues guitar. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics to some songs are somewhat complicated. But, the blues feel is intertwined into every song on the disk. Mayer ever pulled in the lyrics of the mainstream "Gold Digger" for "I Got A Woman." The first few songs on the disk were as if John was saying, 'In your face!' to everyone that doubted his power to harness the blues. Along with the lyrics of new songs, the disk also offers you some songs to keep you grounded, "Something's Missing" and "Daughters," both are from his "Heavier Things." // 10

Overall Impression: This album is much different than Mayer's prior works. Fans of him in his earlier days should pick right up with his blues feel. This is truly a great disc. I loved it and I listened to it eight times the first night I bought it. I love the guitar solos and, of course, Mayer's blues voice. If this album were stolen or lost, there is no doubt in my mind that I would rush to the closest place I could find that had this CD. I love this CD that much. It's my favorite Mayer CD to date. // 10

Try! Reviewed by: ryan1117, on january 21, 2006

Sound: Great sound, especially from a live performance. A few lines of dialogue between one or two songs that are inaudible, but a volume crank can fix that. Despite what Mayer said about changing styles and dumping the acoustic ballads, I don't think the change is as drastic as he imagined. Anyone listeners of Mayer's earlier stuff, especially Heavier Things, probably detected the blues influence. It is just more apparent here. // 9

Lyrics: Mayer has always been an excellent lyricist. Opening track Who Did You Think I was is a bit humorous ("Here is a line that you won't understand/I'm half of the boy but I'm twice the man"). Good Love Is On The Way is an optimistic love song. Wait Until Tomorrow is great ("Click, bang, what a shame, your daddy just shot poor me"). Out Of My Mind is more of what I expected from the album, and is composed of many repeated lines, such is the trademark of blues. // 10

Overall Impression: There is a definite comparison between Try! and Heavier Things. Who Did You Think I was is funky and fun. Good Love Is On The Way is, in my opinion, the most radio-friendly track. Wait Until Tomorrow is good, especially the backup vocals in the chorus. Gravity is a beautiful song, very emotional. Vultures is a fun riff with amusing backup vocals in the chorus as well. Out Of My Mind is bluesy. Another Kind Of Green has a strange timing, but Mayer makes it work. I Got A Woman is a legitimate cover of ol' Ray. Previous fans will recognize Something's Missing and Daughters. The last track, Try, has a gospel sound, and ends the album on an uplifting note. This is a fantastic CD and a must-have for any John Mayer fan. // 9

Try! Reviewed by: acoustixforever, on may 10, 2006

Sound: The sound was spectacular. Most of yall out there are used to catchy tunes, and repeated verse's and chorus', we'll you are in for a big suprise on this new album. He has teamed up with fine musicians, Pino Palladino on bass, and Steve Jordan on drums. John play's all the guitar on this live album, and some of you will wonder how it is possible. He may write sappy love songs, but his true roots are the blues. He will play rhythm, and fly into an amazing solo that will blow your mind. "Try" it out. You will be inpressed. // 9

Lyrics: I will have to say that the lyrics aren't as deep as they have been on his past albums, but they do not have to be, the music makes up for that. He plays to cover on this CD. One being, "Wait Till Tomorrow" by Jimi Hendrix, and another being, "I Got A Woman" by Ray Charles. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a great album. It is by far not a waste of money. After I bought the album and listened to it all the way through, It thought to myself, this is what today's music has been missing. // 9

Try! Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 22, 2005

Sound: Finally what us guitar enthusiasts have been waiting for! A mainstream frontman who knows how to rock. The solos are incredibly energetic, and the melodys really capture the blues mood. Ever since I saw John play "Texas Flood" by SRV, I've had to wait for a barebone guitar, bass, drum sound like this out of him. Maybe this is a sign that he is finally done with all those horns and keyboards and overproduction. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are always well done when it comes from Mayer, but the instrumental talent surrounding the lyrics makes them seem almost unimportant to the sound. John's voice is a very good fit for a blues style album, and his words as well. You won't be hearing any high pitched squeaks or "Your Body Is A Wonderland" on this album, just good old blues. // 9

Overall Impression: This blows every other album John has recorded out of the water. I had never been a big fan of John's, except for the occasional "Blues Intro" from As/Is and covers from SRV and others. However, this album's solos have somewhat of a Stevie Ray Vaughan-esque feel to them. This album wouldn't ever be stolen from me because I always carry a crossbow. // 10

Try! Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 23, 2005

Sound: Mayers live tone on this album is the best I've heard in a long time along with the band as a whole they sound great. John's style is awesome and grabs my attention with everything he does. His solo's are getting much better also, I'm definitely looking forward toward his new album next spring. He's come out of his poppy shell and the real guitarist has shown through, and I like it! // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are decent Another kind of green is a really good song as well as somethings missing, other then that, the lyrics aren't outstanding but it's blues so who cares. John's a great singer especially for blues, the kid can sing. // 8

Overall Impression: Great album, if you're a guitarist and like great music, you'll love this album. Another kind of green, Something's Missing and Try! are the songs that stand out to me the most. There's a lot of blues that doesnt appeal to me because its the same sound over and over, not the case here, you tend not to notice you're listening to a specific style, but just great music, John loves Stevie Ray Vaughen and he has similar tone and style but he's morphed it into his own unique style. This cd wouldnt be stolen from me. // 10

Try! Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 09, 2006

Sound: Eversince I listened to John's first album, I've been thinking to myself, "When is John going to release an all blues album?" Well, that thought has now been answered. John Mayer Trio is John's venture into the blues, with his unique jazzy and funky touch of course. He's great at solo guitar, but he's also a wonderful rhythm guy. I love what he did rhythmically in this album. // 9

Lyrics: John's vocal has improved significantly. He sings on higher notes than he usually tackles. There are some straight up blues, but songs like Good Love Is On The Way is a blend of blues solo played over a pop rock tune. Lyric wise, it is probably much simpler than his previous outings. Although it's simpler, it's much more grown up than "Your Body Is A Wonderland" stuff. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, to me, John Mayer Trio is probably John's tribute to his hero Jimi Hendrix. Not only is there a Jimi tune in the Trio's album (Wait Until Tomorrow), he played with what I think is Jimi's Strat on his live shows. I love the fast beat of the album, you can dance to it. it's blues yet you can dance to it. if it were stolen, I'd probably get another one. I really wish there were no "Daughters" or "Something Missing." Instead, put two more new songs in it. but the rest of the songs are solid. Must have. // 8

Try! Reviewed by: guitar21@WE, on april 08, 2006

Sound: My first impression of John Mayer was orginally o yea, hes that guy that all the ladies love because of his acoustic skills and voice. I was apparently wrong when I was given this cd. It has quickly risen to the top of my cd's and it is amazing. John is doing somethign great here in John Mayer trio and I would love to hear more. It has almost a bluesy classic rock feel to it wiht modern love put into it. I never knew how talented John was til I heard this CD. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of this cd are very good. If you love the blues, John seems to have a knack for writing Blues lyrics. John is terrific with brining in his voice and merging it with his guitar in between sining and playing, and even playing while singing its good. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is in a category not of todays age of music, but maybe somethign from before. It is almost like a blast fromthe past kind of CD. The most impressive songs from this CD to me is Try! which I find very up beat, start your day kind of song. I don't hate anything at all about this CD, except that there is not more out there today like it! I love everything about this cd and woudl replace it immidiatley if lost or stolen. // 10

Try! Reviewed by: Fyreman, on january 22, 2007

Sound: This is it for John Mayer fans. This CD shows Mayer's range from the blusiest "Out Of My Mind" to renditions of his pop hits "Daughters" and "Something's Missing." As always, his playing is spectacular and he really shows how great a musician he is and how great a musician he can be. The additions of Steve Jordan and Pino Paladino show how serious he is about putting out a great record. // 10

Lyrics: Clever as always. "Who Did You Think I Was?" is Mayer showing off his lyrical skills. The great thing about Mayer's lyrics is you can relate, both with Try! and with previous records. This is nothing new in this category, just much more of the same great, catchy, how-did-he-think-of-that music. // 10

Overall Impression: For all those that never respected John Mayer as a musician, that said he was too poppy to be taken seriously, this is the record that will stop the naysayers in their negative tracks. Bringing in the heavyweights that are Steve Jordan and Pino Paladino and being able to command all 11 performances on this album really says something to Mayer's talent. As far as his pop future, with the debut of "Continuum", we may see a shift away from that, but as far as Try! goes, he's made some changes. Expect to see Mayer ranked up there with blues greats such as B.B. King and Buddy Guy, he's surely on his way. // 10

Try! Reviewed by: dan_binmunk, on april 02, 2007

Sound: This album was born out of John Mayer's desire to move away from his acoustic ladies-man image, and become a credible blues guitarist, in the mould of his heroes Stevie Ray Vaughan and Eric Clapton. In the period between his last album Heavier Things, John had collaborated with many legends of blues and jazz, such as John Schofield and Clapton himself, as a precourser to this tour and subsequent album. The album's overall sound is sparse in the basic setup of the trio, but the playing and tightness of the band conjure a big sound. John has recruited two of the best in renowned session bassist Pino Palladino and drum expert Steve Jordan, and the feel of the sound and performance are greatly enhanced by their prescence. In the form of songs such as the original 'Gravity', 'Out Of My Mind' and Ray Charles' 'I Got A Woman', Mayer shows incredible knowledge and tact with the blues, making those who are familiar only with 'Your Body Is A Wonderland' and 'Daughters' (which appears on this album in a bluesy, yet even more beautiful form) scratch their heads in disbelief. Mayer also dips into Clapton-esque rock, with songs like 'Another Kind Of Green' and 'Good Love Is On The Way', which are both riff-driven pop-rock songs. The most impressive sounds in this album aren't from the songs though, they are from Mayer's guitar. When in full flow, Mayer is just on another planet! His technique and feel demostrates that he has been hiding this guitar hero in him for too long. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very good throughout the album, aside from the blues workout of 'Out Of My Mind', which makes use of the archetypal repetition technique. I am not a fan of this particularly so this is disappointing, especially when his other stand-out blues track, 'Gravity', is utterly fantastic. The lyrics and music combine so brilliantly on this track it can qualify instantly as a modern classic! Mayer's songs have always had romantic, yet often clever, lyrics which I am big fan of, however, if you are looking for arch literary lyrics, this is the wrong place to come. // 9

Overall Impression: What you must remind yourself of, even when listening to this album, is that is a live record. This is certainly the best live album I've heard (I haven't heard 'Live At Leeds' yet, so don't shoot me yet). The trio are fantastic, not at all just John Mayer's lackeys, but a fully functioning band, with a deep musical empathy and fantasic dynamism. Apart from the lyrics of 'Out Of My Mind' this album is flawless in every sense, and very successful in it's job of establishing the new side of John Mayer. // 10

More John Mayer reviews rating latest review