At Folsom Prison Review

artist: johnny cash date: 07/11/2006 category: compact discs
johnny cash: At Folsom Prison
Release Date: 1968
Label: Columbia/Legacy
Genres: Traditional Country, Rockabilly, Country-Pop, Progressive Country, Rock & Roll
At Folsom Prison was one of two legendary live albums Johnny Cash recorded in front of a prison audience in the late '60s.
 8.4
 6.7
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
At Folsom Prison Reviewed by: Matt Montoya, on july 11, 2006

Sound: Johnny Cash's music has been loved by fans of genres outside of Country. I myself have never been a fan of country, and as much as I didn't like Johnny Cash, His music was so good that I just couldn't help but listen to it. As many know, Cash made this album after he got off of drugs, and it became one of the top ten best-selling albums of the '60s. This albumdeserved that title. // 10

Lyrics: Some of Cash's music is repetitive, and tends to use the same bass line, however he makes up forthis in his lyrics. Sometimes bluesy, other times humorous. Some songs on this album are only for country fans, like "Jackson" with June Cater on vocals. Others like "Cocaine Blues" and "Folsom Prison Blues" can appeal to rock fans like me. Although I don't like "Jackson", I think it is a good country song. However, if bad language offends you, don't get this album. Also, don't play "Cocaine Blues" if a woman is in the room (especially a girlfriend). The album has a highnumber of tracks, and Cash never plays a song "weak". All songs are strong performances. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is Cash's best album, next to "At San Quentin". This would probably be put in the top 10 greatest live albums with the Allman Brothers Band's Fillmore East album. I highly recommend this album for anyone who likes Rock, Country, Folk, or Rock. Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan are two of the greatest lyricists of all time. Cash even said Bob Dylan was "the greatest songwriter". Although I don't like to give out perfect 10's because they are very over-used, I think this album deserves it. // 10

More Johnny Cash reviews rating latest review