The Legend Of Johny Cash Review

johnny cash: The Legend Of Johny Cash
Release Date: Oct 25, 2005
Label: Hip-O Records
Genres: Traditional Country, Rockabilly, Country Gospel, Rock & Roll
The Legend Of Johnny Cash is billed as the "first ever complete career spanning collection," which is true to a certain extent - other collections cover territory from 1955 to 2003.
 9.3
 8.7
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
The Legend Of Johny Cash Reviewed by: PRWNDWIA, on february 22, 2006

Sound: First impressions, well we all know the legend that is Johnny Cash so when Ring Of Fire comes on there's no surprises, a great song sang by an absolute legend. This CD takes you on a magical (albeit quite brief) journey through Cash's career. There 21 songs on the album ranging from is early career work (Cry, Cry, Cry and Hey Porter), through to Ring Of Fire and Walk The Line, it then moves on to his work with Willie Nelson and U2, before finishing up with his most recent work (Hurt, One, Personal Jesus). Most of the songs are country but they all seem to have an almost hard rock feel to them, which is something which attracts most people to Cash. Most of his stuff his technically simple yet it's so effective. // 9

Lyrics: I love the lyrics to Johnny's songs, there all great from the ballad Give My Love To Rose to San Quentin there amazing and heartfelt. I also love the way he sings songs he didn't write for example Ring Of Fire and The Highwayman, but most importantly I love the covers One and Hurt, even though he didn't write the lyrics he makes it sem as if he did, the way he sings them is so heartfelt and emotional. He doesn't have an amazing voive it really meiocre and simple and he is a credit to all us mediocre musicians who simply want to make music. // 10

Overall Impression: This is basically another greatest hits album, but this one more takes you on a journey through his career, its probably the cheapest and best way to get into johnny cash and I would definetly buy it again if lost or stolen. Although more tracks might have been better, it really is a best of the best, which makes it worth buying if your only going to buy one Cash album! Most will buy it for Hurt or Ring Of Fire, but will come away in love with Cash buy it now! // 9

More Johnny Cash reviews rating latest review