Court And Spark Review

Label: Asylum
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Court And Spark Reviewed by: kttunstallator3, on july 24, 2009

Sound: Joni Mitchell's sound in this CD is versatile; the genres ranges from jazz to folk and blues. She plays it off as a long story throughout the album, with a variety of emotions splurging out, but with melody and rhythm. Joni Mitchell really tends to deliver in whatever style of music it is, and the music itself is easy listening. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics...what can I say, Joni Mitchell has a way with words. Kind of like how Bob Dylan comes up with a full story in a song: it makes sense and it rhymes at the same time. And the lyrics definetly set the mood for the instruments in the background; they all act in harmony. Joni Mitchell's skills as a vocalist is carefree, but in a good way. She can turn into a soft jazz voice, but turn around and get down with telling it like it is with her voice that makes you relate and feel like it's you. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is one with it's originality. Her complex tunings and loyalty to her Martin acoustic guitar should be highly praised. And not to mention the vast array of talented backup musicians like her lead electric guitarist. The most impressive songs off of this album are "Help Me", "Free Man In Paris", "People's Parties", and "Raised On Robbery." These are a few of my favorites on this remarkably great album. I love her bluntness and way of words; they seem rather free flowing and you want to sing along. I would buy another copy if by chance I lost this album. She is very influencial: as a guitarist and a singer/songwriter. // 10

More Joni Mitchell reviews rating latest review