Veneer Review

jose gonzalez: Veneer
Release Date: Aug 6, 2005
Label: Hidden Agenda
Genres: Sadcore, Indie Pop
This is a striking collection of hushed and autumnal indie pop bedroom songs that reside on the hi-fi end of the lo-fi spectrum.
 Lyrics: 9.7
 9.9
 9.7
Veneer Reviewed by: jaymyvendetta, on july 10, 2006

Sound: I first heard of Jose Gonzalez from a friend of mine who'd picked it up and immediateley was stunned by the incredibly unique sound and beautiful guitar work. I bought Veneer myself and was instantly hooked. It is the best 10 I ever spent and the record immediately became one of my top 3 records of all time. The sound is incredibly crisp and is even more impressive considering the album in it's entirety was recorded at his home using basic equipment. This minimalist approach to recording benefits the record giving his voice a raw and powerful undertone. // 10

Lyrics: Like Joses other band Junip, the lyrics play just as important a part as the instruments. The lyrics are often repeated but on every track they are heartfelt and meaningful and compliment the music beautifully. His soft vocal style is full of emotion and he swiftly changes between emotions frequently while still keeping in perfectly with the song. Many of the lyrics are of a sad nature but are all presented in an uplifting and memorable way. // 10

Overall Impression: Veneer is an incredible debut album and one of my favourite records of all time. My favourite songs are Heartbeats, Hints and All You Deliver however I listen to the whole album continously and it is definitely the most played in my collection. I take this everywhere with me. Jose is a solo troubadour unlike any other acoustic artist I have heard. I would reccomend everyone to buy this album or at least head over to his website and listen to some of the tracks. As The Sun said, "In a world of musical clones, the Argentinian Swede is a thrillingly original new talent." // 10

Veneer Reviewed by: tommybear, on march 27, 2006

Sound: I picked up this album after hearing 'Heartbeats' on the Sony Bravia TV commercial, and to be honest, my initial impression was mixed. This album, in its entirety, consists of acoustic/spanish style tracks. However after very few listenings my opinions altered dramatically. Each song, although played with the same instrument, has its own unique riff and I soon grew to identify each song by its introduction. The best guitar work on the album would probably be 'Heartbeats' and 'Save Your Day'. But they're all great. // 9

Lyrics: One of my favourite songs on the album, 'Heartbeats' wasn't written by Jose at all. It is a cover of a Swedish band called The Knife. But its lyrics still deserve applause. "And you, you knew the hand of the devil, and you, kept us awake with wolve's teeth, sharing different heartbeats" Pretty freakin' good, huh? Again there are many lyrical standouts on this 11 track album: Slow Moves, Heartbeats, Crosses, Hints, Save Your Day, Broken Arrows. Never have I heard a voice so suited to his songs as Jose. An excellent example would be Remain. On this song he repeats the one line, but each time the emotion of his voice changes. // 9

Overall Impression: I have nothing in my collection like this album, nor have I ever heard anything like it. The best songs in my opinion are Remain, Heartbeats, Crosses, Hints, Save Your Day and Broken Arrows. But a pretty good standard is maintained throughout, ie. so far I haven't found myself skipping anything. Above anything else, I love Jose's voice. And the awesome Heartbeats. This will never be stolen or lost, because I protect it too well. 'Nuff said. // 9

Veneer Reviewed by: InfernoJesse, on april 19, 2006

Sound: Like so many, I came across this gem through the Sony Bravia Advert and when I first the guitar and then the voice, I was hooked. I went and bought Veneer, and listened to it all day. The sound is just so unique, and the way he plays guitar and sings is nothing short of sublime. Simple songs which revolve around repetitive but provoking lyrics make it addictive listening. His voice is just simply perfect, complimenting his songs with sticcatp phrasing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really the backbone of the whole record, with elements of Elliott Smith and Nick Drake thrown in. They are mainly about loss or some kind of forgotten redemption (Lovestain, Remain, Heartbeats, etc). But they all sound uplifting, and thats the key thing with this record. He makes sad lyrics seem memorable and somewhat happy, (Save Your Day, Crosses, All You Deliver, etc). My favourite song, Crosses, takes lonely words to a different dimension, with a really great twist of adrenaline. // 10

Overall Impression: This record is a great debut from such a talented man, I saw him live in Manchester, and his performance is just staggering. Ever since I have bought Veneer, I have listened to the songs endlessly. All I can say to finish is, this is one of the greatest CD's I have ever bought. Thank you Jose, for bringing an album that is so great, and I can't wait till your next. // 10

Comments