Defenders Of The Faith Review

artist: judas priest date: 08/01/2007 category: compact discs
judas priest: Defenders Of The Faith
Release Date: 1984
Label: Columbia
Genres: New Wave of British Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, British Metal, Album Rock
It's a solidly constructed, unapologetically commercial metal record, and it doesn't feel underdeveloped as 'Point Of Entry' sometimes did.
 9.3
 9.2
 9.3
Defenders Of The Faith Reviewed by: antichristevan6, on november 14, 2005

Sound: Judas Priest is one of the best heavy metal bands from the '70s and '80s and this album is no different. I can recognise this album from it's speed and melody. Judas Priest is known for pioneering the speed metal genre and this album shows it. The most impressive songs on this album are Freewheel Burning, Rock Hard Ride Free, The Sentinel, Eat Me Alive, Some Heads are Gonna Roll, and Night Comes Down (really slow song really melodic, but really nice to listen to). The only downside to this album is that it has poor sound quality to the very core of it, but then again it was made in the late seventies. The guitar parts are not too complicated but sound really cool. K. K. and Glenn shine brightly on this album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are suprisingly good as far as Judas Priest is concerned. They trace everything from Rockin' hard and messin' up the system (Rock Hard Ride Free), to a showdown between two foes in mortal combat (The Sentinel), to plain ol' riding motorcycles (Freewheel Burning). Rob Halford is one of the best singers in Tru Metal ever, but his range of notes is limited in this album I find. // 8

Overall Impression: This album made me a Priest fan. So far I have this album, Hell Bent for Leather, and Painkiller (masterpiece). This album is one of my favourite albums. The most imressive songs are Freewheel Burning, Rock Hard Ride Free, The Sentinel, Eat Me Alive, Some Heads are Gonna Roll, and Night Comes Down. I like the fact that it has a really old-school sound like that of Screaming For Vengeance. If it were stolen id be pretty pissed and I buy it again. If it were lost I'd find it. // 10

Defenders Of The Faith Reviewed by: Mindcrime1038, on august 01, 2007

Sound: This is by far and away my favorite Priest album of all time. This was the peak of their musical success and arguably their ability to produce "complete" metal albums. It carries many of the same musical structures that met them with success on the Screaming For Vengeance album, but this is where they perfected it, and it shows. KK Downing and Glenn Tipton shine as usual on this jem, as well as the sublte innovations of Ian Hill and Dave Holland. If you're looking for a first time metal album then this is perfect. This is definately Judas Priest at their best, and possibly one of the most underrated metal albums of the '80s. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, Defenders is what you would expect of an '80s power metal album, but to the next level if you will. Rob Halford's lyricall writing ability spews from every song like hellish poetry. Overall the lyrics are top notch and fit perfectly with the musical proportions of the entire album. Rob Halford's vocals are what really shine here though. The high pitched, harmonic screams that he reaches in nearly every song is enough to send shivers down your spine. This is where Rob Halford was arguably at the peak of his singing ability, or at least his effort to make it so. // 8

Overall Impression: Defenders of the Faith is, in my opinion, one of the best metal albums of all time, and inarguably the best Judas Priest album. There are so many hot chops on this album that it's impossible to choose a favorite. However, the most impressive songs are The Sentinel, Jawbreaker, and Love Bites. All three of these songs are fast, dark, and engrossing in their musical perfection. There are many other memorable songs like the highway track Rock Hard Ride Free, or the empowering Night Comes Down and title tracks. The songs Eat Me Alive and Some Heads Are Gonna Role are a bit lackluster compared to the rest, but still very well done. Overall, this album rules! It is one of my favorite metal albums and a must have for all metal and rock fans. // 10

More Judas Priest reviews rating latest review