Screaming For Vengeance Review

artist: judas priest date: 09/30/2010 category: compact discs
judas priest: Screaming For Vengeance
Release Date: 1982
Label: Columbia
Genres: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, British Metal, New Wave of British Heavy Metal, Album Rock
Screaming For Vengeance returned Judas Priest to the top of the metal heap, boasting a much more consistent set of songs.
 Lyrics: 9.5
Screaming For Vengeance Reviewed by: steveCFH, on march 21, 2006

Sound: Judas Priest are probably one of the best metal bands on earth. This album proves that. Screaming For Vengeance is a solid effort from the metal gods Judas Priest. The album has all out heavy metal songs like Electric Eye, You've Got Another Thing Coming and of course the title track. It also has some soft songs like Fever or Take These Chains. The guitar tones are heavy/distorted, not as "extreme" as the sound on the Painkiller album. The druming on Riding on the Wind is top notch. There are some sweet solos from K. K. and Glenn. You won't be dissapointed. // 10

Lyrics: Rob Halford once again blows my mind. His voice on Screaming For Vengeance is awesome. He can go from a low, deep style of singing to a high pitched scream. The lyrics overall are pretty good. At first I thought the lyrics to Take These Chains or Pain and Pleasure were kinda sappy but you get used to it, and it's not like there that corny. The rest of the songs are perfect. I think the best lyrics are on the title track. The vocals are also astonishing on said song. I think Halford is the best metal singer out there, he's better than Bruce Dickinson or Axl Rose in my opinion. // 10

Overall Impression: This one of the bands most popular albums because of songs like You've Got Another Thing Coming or Electric Eye. If you are just discovering Judas Priest I think other albums you might want to get are British Steel and/or Painkiller. I realize that those are the most commercial albums but they are also the bets in my opinion. I can't even name the best songs on this album because they are all so good. If I had to pick some songs that you might want to download (if you are a cheapskate) then they would be Electric Eye, Riding on the Wind, Screaming for Vengeance and You've Got Another Thing Comin'. But wait there's more! The CD of this album is a reissue which contains bonus track! The first one is called Prisoner of Your Eyes, it is a slow ballad and there is also Devil's Child Live. Devil's Child Live sounds a bit different than the original but they could have chosen a better live song to use here. If Screaming for Vengeance was lost or stolen I might get around to buying it or I would buy another Judas Priest CD since I have all the songs on mp3 player and on my computer. Just go out and buy this album! Don't be left behind! // 10

Screaming For Vengeance Reviewed by: guitfiddleRR, on september 30, 2010

Sound: This is it! Arguably the most influential Priest release in existence (its between this and "British Steel"). Judas Priest's 1982 heavy metal testament screams with a powerful musical fury that has knocked audiences flat for almost thirty years. Opening with an instrumental track that mainly focuses on guitars, this album delivers a sound that gives off the vibe of electric rawness. This album also has very good flow from track to track. The drums are recorded raw and loud and drive the music heavily into your head. This is one classic metal performance that will continue to be enjoyed for many years to come. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album have some serious style, and cover many subjects throughout the album. The vocal performance is absolutely amazing, and that goes without saying. Many of these lyrics have depth that coincides with the music very well and provides quite a musical atmosphere. This album has a very good balance of music and lyrics. This was about the time when Priest were experimenting and changing with their music, becoming heavier and more classical influenced, expanding past their progressive blues origins. Rob Halford never fails to deliver an epic performance, and every one of these songs will blow you away, guaranteed. // 10

Overall Impression: This album goes back with me quite a long time. I received this for the first time on cassette as a birthday present for my 5th birthday. I grew up listening to this album. I have an original copy of the CD, I also have the remastered edition, and a vinyl copy. This album is a huge influence and a huge part of my musical taste. As well as on me, this album has had a huge influence in the world of metal. It is an iconic favorite of fans worldwide. Containing such classics as "You've Got Another Thing Coming", "Electric Eye", "Riding On The Wind", and "Screaming For Vengeance", this album is essential. It is that simple. If you don't have it, get it. // 10

Screaming For Vengeance Reviewed by: randy_rhoads83, on april 18, 2006

Sound: Priest is at the top of their game on this album. They managed to make a heavy metal album that not only has rocking priest riffs and incredible musicianship, but it is also quite commercical aounding as well. Every song is written by Rob Halford, Glenn Tipton, and KK Downing as a group. It makes for some similarities to be drawn between some songs, but they all manage to be different enough to not feel repetitive. Like all the Priest albums I own, the sound is great, KK and Glenn play incredibly well, but they are like exact clones when it comes to their style. Thats not nessicarily bad, but for me, a huge Maiden fan as well, I think Iron Maiden has better guitarists in that respect, that they have different styles. The rhytmn section is nothing special, but then again, neither is AC/DC's either. // 10

Lyrics: Being a guitar player, I don't pay that much attension to the lyrics. But they are very well written, and fun to sing along with.Rob Halford has an incredible voice for rock, my personal favorite rock singer as well. His ballad voice makes the hairs on your back stand straight and his screams, well, no one touches him in that respect. He has an incredible vocal range, better than most I'd say. And he couldn't of sung any better on this album. // 9

Overall Impression: This is the Priest album I herald as one of the best heavy metal records ever. If your into Sabbath, Metallica, etc, then you need this album. It's one of my favorite albums because I can actually listen to the whole thing in one sitting. The title track is amazing, and "You've Got Another Thing Coming" is very catchy. If this album was stolen, I'd hunt them down, and take it back. Then I'd go out and buy a copy for each of my friends. I would of bought this album for any price. It's that good. // 10

Screaming For Vengeance Reviewed by: livewire76, on august 12, 2009

Sound: "Screaming For Vengance" is the 8th studio release from Judas Priest, a band all rock/metalheads owe respect to for forming the twin guitar sound we've all come to love so much. From the off I'd like to say I'm shocked that no-one has posted a review of this album yet! I mean, c'mon! This is PRIEST! And not only that but an album that includes some of their most seminal work. "The Hellion/Electric Eye", "You've Got Another Thing Comin'" and the title track "Screaming For Vengance" are downright classics, worth the albums price alone. But there's more. Much more. It really is an album in the best sense of the word. You can listen to it from start to finish and before you know it, its finished, usually finding yourself hiting the 'play' button again. Track listing: 01."The Hellion" 02."Electric Eye" 03."Riding On The Wind" 04."Bloodstone" 05."(Take These)Chains" 06."Pain And Pleasure" 07."Screaming For Vengance" 08."You've Got Another Thing Comin'" 09."Fever" 10."Devil's Child" Bonus tracks on 2001 re-release/re-master: 11."Prisoner Of Your Eyes" 12."Devil's Child (live)" This album is a slick, well produced and well written affair. It was considered a move towards a more comercial sound when compared to their earlier work for Priest when it was released in 1982. Still, it features all the classic JP hallmarks. Rob Halford's vocals are at times astounding. The range he has and his trademark 'operatic' style are all here and he hit's notes only a few can. Then there's the trademark twin guitars of KK Downing and Glenn Tipton. The album has some fantstic riffs and solos. It might be "Classic Rock" territory by todays standards but if these songs don't get you playing air guitar, feet tapping or singing along I'd be surprised. The rhythm section of Ian Hill (bass) and Dave Holland (drums) is tight and let's the guitars soar along with Halford's voice. The songs flow into each other well with plenty of the light and shade JP are known for. Like I mentioned before it was considered a move towards a more radio friendly, commercial sound, for the band when it was released with most of the songs being around the four minute mark or thereabouts. While I enjoy more epic stuff as well be it JP or other bands this album with it's shorter song format is still just as enjoyable. There's really no tedious "shall-i-hit-forward?" moments and for me just makes me want to grab my guitar and play along. When all is said and done, if you like early metal and havn't bought or given this album a spin, you should. If blast beats, down-tuning or music over 180 bpm is your thing you're not gonna like this much but otherwise get that card out and buy a classic piece of metal history. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on "Screaming For Vengance" are varied, well structured and written. In content they range from the 'big brother's watching' paranoia of "Electric Eye" to rebellion and brashfull confidence in "You've Got Another Thing Comin'" to the heartache, lonlieness and despair of "Fever" or (Take These)Chains". All-in-all, good, solid, hard rock/metal themes that are staples of the genre and nothing too serious or gloomy, just things we all can relate too at some point. I have to admit I never delve too deeply into lyrics for the most. Instead I like to think of the voice as another instrument and like listening to how a singer colours the song with their voice. That being said not many can touch Rob Halford. He has literally created the blueprint for metal vocals and gone on to inspire a generation. Often nicknamed "The Metal God" after an earlier JP song, it's not without reason I can assure you. He has a near four (that's 4! ) octave vocal range! Most people are stuck with one, maybe two, just so you realize how impressive this is. // 9

Overall Impression: Being nearly 30 years old I would say "Screaming For Vengance" has aged quite well. It's not the metal of today but back in 1982 this was considered heavy even with the perceived more commercial angle JP took with "Screaming For Vengance". The fact that these songs are still being played live to arena sized crowds says something about the popularity and generation spaning career, near 40(! ) year life-span of JP and the quality they posess as song writers and performers. Like I've mentioned before, there isn't much "filler" here at all for me and while I have my favorites, once this album is on, I don't touch 'forward'. Generally the "classics" are considered to be "The Hellion/Electric Eye", "You've Got Another Thing Comin'", "Riding On The Wind" and "Screaming For Vengance" and they are all just that, great, classic tracks that you wont forget and quickly come to appreciate, if not love. Still there's songs like "Fever" or "Devil's Child" that are just as good and I find that this runs through the whole album. Like I havn't said enough times already! Buy this. You won't regret it, I promise. If you do then you can send me the copy as I've already worn out one and number two skips here n' there. Deal? Great! Hope you enjoy this as much as I do. // 9

More Judas Priest reviews rating latest review