Employment Review

kaiser chiefs: Employment
Released: Mar 15, 2005
Genre: Rock
Styles: Post-Punk, Indie Rock
Right now, everybody wants a piece of the Kaiser Chiefs. Blur producer Stephen Street was so bowled over he offered his services for debut album Employment.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 8.6
 9.6
 7.6
Employment Reviewed by: the-indie-kid, on march 09, 2005

Sound: Britpop is back! Great album, and any of the songs on it could be a single. It's definately one of the must have albums of the year. Catchy riffs and choruses make this a fantastic debut. For those who haven't heard them, their sound is kindof like Blur, but listen harder and you will find these guys have something different. Some might say they are not original, but they are definately fantastic band. In my opinion, up there with the Libertines as modern British music goes. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are pretty good in general, just about modern life. On one of the songs they have released, 'I Predict A Riot' is about walking through the town late at night, with lyrics such as 'girls scrabble round with no clothes on, to borrow a pound for a condom.' Quite a lot of na-na-naas and la-la-laas, but it works, and the main guy (who I forget the name of) has a great voice. // 8

Overall Impression: First heard of these guys when I caught them at the NME tour, and they were the least well known band there. Man they blew me away, as a live act they are fantastic. Despite not knowing most of the songs, they were incredible, and the lead guy has infinite energy (and a cowbell). Keyboard guy has a great hat also. Bought the album as soon as it came out, and got the double cd, with the additional live CD, which is also good, but perhaps a bit short. Only major complaint is the absence of two of their songs 'Wrecking Ball' and 'Take My Temperature' which are both fantastic, and I reccommend to anyone to get them off iTunes or wherever you can find them. I will make a copy of this CD in case it gets scratched/lost as it is fantastic. // 10

Employment Reviewed by: jo_prior, on april 13, 2005

Sound: The sound in this album is amazing. The music, guitar keyboard harmonies all the na na na's and oohs make the sound even better. The main singer Ricky has a great voice which goes brilliantly with the style of music and the general sound of the album. // 10

Lyrics: Along with the sound the lyrics are great. They are funny, but still make sence! Some of the best lyrics are in I Predict A Riot and Everyday I love You Less And Less (my two favourite song on the album). In general the lyrics are good but could be a bit more meaningful. But the main singer is amazing, I have fallen in love with him! He is great his voice goes with the music and changes depending on the type of song. I couldn't fault him! Well done! // 10

Overall Impression: My music taste varies I didn't think I would like this album but after hearing it from my friend I went strat out to buy it. I think most people would like this album. The most impressive songs on the album are Oh My God, I Predict A Riot, Everyday I Love You Less And Less, Na Na Na Na Na, Modern Way and many more. The thing I love about this album is that it is great all the way through. Some albums that I have bought have been good at the beginning but towards the end are not so good. I can't find anything bad to say about it! If it got stolen the first thing I would do would be to grab some money and go and buy it again! A great album, I very much recommend it. So go and buy it! // 10

Employment Reviewed by: UG Team, on june 15, 2005

Sound: This is one of the bands, whose story can start with "We never thought we would get this famous..." When the Kaiser Chiefs started in summer 2003, five Britpop-obsessed oddballs had quite modest fantasies. Frontman Ricky Wilson, guitarist Andrew 'Whitey' White, bassist Simon Rix, keyboard player Nick 'Peanut' Baines drummer and Nick Hodgson decided to form a band hopping to get an early slot at the following year's Leeds Festival. Only 18 months after that they became more famous then they could ever imagine they would. Before naming themselves after a successful South African soccer team, school friends Simon, Peanut and Nick had been playing together in various bands since the age of 15. They persuaded art-school graduate Ricky, who was singing with a Rolling Stones tribute band at that time, to join the band. Being at the core of this country's most lively local music scene made the band realize they had to raise their game musically. They were so excited about the festival that ditches all their old songs and had a new name for the band. "We stopped singing about working on a railroad and going to high school proms and starting writing about being broke in Leeds' Hyde Park," Ricky said. Being recorded in Nick's bedroom, the first self-financed single Oh My God, made it to number 66 in UK charts. The follower I Predict a Riot went straight up to the Top 20. They signed a deal with Universal and were picked to open the NME Awards Tour 2005. Blur producer Stephen Street got so interested, that offered to work with them on a debut album. Five former losers from Leeds - as they call themselves with a sense of self-mockery- finally started making a living; that is why the first album of Kaiser Chiefs is called Employment. Hell knows how many bands they were compared to - Blur, Franz Ferdinand, The Kinks, to name a few. I'm sure, it would be great if every band could be 100% fresh, but that doesn't happen much. Even though every song on the album reminds of something else (I still can't stop thinking about Air's Playground Love video every time I hear Team Mate), they still sound awesome. Most of the tracks on the record are unpredictable - they start out quite plain, but have great breaks and sudden changes in rhythm which make the music very enjoyable and the keyboards on the record give body to the arrangement. // 8

Lyrics: Don't expect something serious from this record. From their mindless random yelling in every other song, to their ridiculous dumb lyrics ("Every Day I Love You Less and Less" rhymes with "It makes me sick to think of you undressed" and "Yes, I'm stressed, I'm sorry I digress"), the Kaiser Chiefs are not aiming for complexity. They are singing about everyday life that seems too obvious to sing about - girlfriends who move to London, friends who get beaten up by cops, dead-end jobs, and, finally, just na-na-nas. I love their humor in music and enjoy silly in every form on the record. // 10

Overall Impression: I just couldn't help smiling while listening to the album. That is not 'cause all the songs are happy songs, but they all are just so enthusiastic in their performance. "Employment" is so much fun and is an explosion of catchy song after catchy song; the Kaiser Chiefs make you want to sing along with practically every song by the second chorus. Being not a very loud person myself, my legs shook in time through the whole album. The first song of the album Everyday I Love You Less and Less starts out with electric, video game-type sound effects. Ricky Wilson's British accent only adds the old-school punk charm to this humorous "falling out of love" song. I Predict a Riot is one of the year's catchiest singles. In this vintage Clash-style song Wilson grabs you with the opening line, "Watching the people get lairy/It's not very pretty, I tell thee" - that is an awesome idea to use "thee" in an pop song. Among my favorites are also noisy Saturday Night and lite-reggae What Did I Ever Give You? with a haunting melody. It's obvious the guys are still making fun of what they're doing. Now when asking about his plans for the future, Ricky says "I won't stop until I've got an apartment in every major city in the world. New York. Helsinki. And Harrogate. Also, I want all my ex-girlfriends to recognise me on Top Of The Pops. But above all, I want to get a new filling for my tooth." // 10

Employment Reviewed by: Daniel Pearce, on march 02, 2007

Sound: The Kaiser Chief's album 'Employment' has a unique sound, they've produced this amazing debut album. They produce fairly easy riffs, chorus's and songs. That's one of the downers about Kaiser Chiefs. All the guitar's a bit too simple and most beginners wouldn't struggle looking up the tabs and playing them. They really need to show what they've got to the limit. They've got an electric guitar, bass, drums and vocals. It's also good with the keyboard and backing vocals so it adds that extra bit so Kaiser's sound overall it spectacular. The chorus's stay in your head on you'd find yourself singing a few of the tracks if you listened to them. There is some pure rock chorus's in some of these songs: for example: 'I Predict A Riot' which tops the best song on the entire album. Towards the end of the album the songs start to lack thought and arn't as good as the first few at the beginning this seems to happen with quite a few bands. If they'd just mix the songs up a bit then it won't be as noticable. Their songs don't sound the same, all creative. There's no solos:( but they make up for that a smidge. // 9

Lyrics: In cool songs like 'I Predict A Riot' the singer says 'eeerrrhhhhh' over and over again for the build up to the chorus. It's in a few of the other songs aswell, it adds effect. There's all little things that you can go 'wow', all little techniques that you can't help commenting on them and you wouldn't missing out the shouting chorus's when your playing the CD. But I usually find mayself skipping songs. All that shouting sometimes is a bit frustrating and you have to be in the right mood for those songs. There are slow songs that you wouldn't mind listening too anytime. You can just imagine all the crowds cheering and jumping around being crazy for the Kaiser Chiefs. They sure do rock on stage I've heard, a good entertaining band. The vocalist does his part well and very good at rocking the people live. They won three brit awards for this in 2006 but in 07 they didn't release their album in time for them to get a brit award. Now if they'd done that then that would make their second album even more trash! He looks the part when it comes to performing. // 8

Overall Impression: Their's the DVD of this album which is cool where you can get all that gossip. They definately needed a second album to show off what they had. So now (around two years later) their comeback album 'Yours Truly, Angry Mob' is here and they've kept that style they're know for now but not quite as good as you'd expect, the review's are lower than expected but still they've got a few kick-ass tracks on there, their best being obviously: 'Ruby' which is a nice sweet song which also has a amazing video to go with it. I see no one has submitted a review for it yet, is must be trash. Anyway, the most impressive songs are: 'Everyday I Love You Less and Less', 'I Predict A Riot', 'Modern Way' and finally 'Oh My God' which is again another one with a stunning sing-along chorus. The cover of this is diffrent. I love their new single 'ruby'! and the brilliant chorus's everyone likes. I don't like that their second album isn't as good and the guy shouting too much. They need more variety in the guitar playing/riffs. If this were lost I'd buy it again, but I'm not too sure to be honest. // 8

Employment Reviewed by: calvin413, on march 10, 2005

Sound: The sound is amazing, I went to see these guys play live in their home town (and mine) of Leeds. They were amazing and the lead singer, Ricky I beleive he is called, was brilliant and he didn't stop running and jumping around the stage, this is quite amazing in a small room with 350 people, but not only that he was wearing two shirts and a jacket! The band have great energy without a doubt. Funnily enough the bands name originates from the football team, Kaiser Chiefs of whom Lucas Radeabe (the former Leed's captain and legend) used to play for. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very local as lines such as "watching the people get leary, not very pretty I tell thee," and "would never have happened to smeaton-an old leodensian," both of which are from I predict a Riot which is obviously a song about any Northern town at night. So very true. // 10

Overall Impression: The lead singer has an amazing range as he can whisper a love song as well as being able to blast it out. Many other artists are not able to do this and are confined to a certain style of music, not the Chiefs. Also, the band are also good with whitey on guitar, Simon Rix on bass, Peanut (I have no idea what his real name is) on piano/keyboard, Nick Hogson on drums and Ricky Wilson on lead vocals. // 10

Employment Reviewed by: Karmakamelion, on march 30, 2005

Sound: Finally music that you can dance to without it being actual dance music. I've been a fan of the kaiser chiefs for a while now, at least since before they got really popular, and I can't help but feel a little bit sorry that they aren't my band anymore. Ricky Wilson's energy comes out clearly in his singing yet he doesn't need to be overly energetic all the time and the band sound just as good when humming along to a slower song as when they blast out a lively energetic song like "Na Na Na Na Na." // 10

Lyrics: The naive lyrics are almost like a child's observation of the world around them. Simple little lines like "Walking through town is quite scary and not very sensible" are maybe not the deepest lyrics ever but they mean something and so many towns can relate to them. They fill in what other bands may have to leave as awkward gaps and guitar riffs that don't quite fit in at that point in the song, with energetic nas and las and aren't ashamed to do so. The simplicity coupled with the utter insanity is a good combination that Wilson pulls off to perfection. // 10

Overall Impression: The trouble with the Kaiser Chiefs is that you either love them or hate them. The quirky, upbeat lyrics and riffs can be great or then can be your worst nightmare. Many people prjudge britpop and God knows I wouldn't normally have listened to them but when I heard a song of theirs many months ago without knowing who they were I instantly fell in love. Not exactly Slipknot or Korn. Hardly the Sex Pistols, the Clash and Lord knows Ricky Wilson isn't the next Kurt Cobain but does that really stop them from being good? // 10

Employment Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 28, 2005

Sound: The muisc on this album is fantastic. The lyrics are so simple but they just fit in. And I especially love the riff at the start of Oh My God. Brilliant stuff. // 10

Lyrics: As I said before the lyrics are so simple like in No 2 I Predict A Riot in the first verse there is a line that says 'walking through town is quite scary and not very sensible either'. Yet again brilliant stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to other albums I think this ranks among one of the best I've heard. The best songs off it are definetely Oh My God and Everyday I Love You Less And Less. The worst song is probably 'Team Mate' which I don't like at all. Overall great stuff. // 10

Employment Reviewed by: Opal Decept, on january 12, 2006

Sound: Kaiser Chiefs have put the insanity back into music. The revival of britpop hit Earth in a meteorite of madness and eccentricity and the debris formed a CD masterpiece. The contrast of slow and long songs also tell us that the Chiefs will not be a steroetypical "Let's make every song rock" band. In fact, I think that this is an album that peaks closer to the end: "Caroline, Yes" and "Time Honoured Tradition" are some of the best songs that I've ever heard. // 9

Lyrics: Like Maximo Park, the lyrics are witty and clever, mixed with the occaisinal high pitched scream and "la la la." Ricky Wilson's singing also complies with the type of music that the Kaiser Chiefs play, stick Alex Kapranos at the front of the Kaiser Chiefs and the whole aura of britpop will vanish in seconds. Speaking of which, Ricky Wilson is also a very, very good singer. // 9

Overall Impression: While it's not perfect, the overall rhythm keeps going throughout the album. As mentioned before, the album peaks near to the end, probably after "Oh My God." The quirkyness of the band can eaisly rub off on you, with you, for no particular reason, dancing insanely during the whole album (not that it happened to me). This album also lets you down gently, with final song "Team Mate," being nice and slow. So ends on of the great albums of 2005. // 9

Employment Reviewed by: kushini, on january 30, 2006

Sound: The sound is amazing. The indie rock theme they bring out is great! The random na na na's and oooh's are great. And the sound they bring out is great, specially ricky's voice with the music, and the style of music, except sometimes I got bored with the same type of songs. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics were great. Ricky's voice just draws you into the song. The power chords are great as a backing for the singing and the drums are amazing. So's the bass. // 10

Overall Impression: The unique indie rock is great. The singing and all the power chords are amazing. I would compare them to british bands like Bloc Party, and Franz Ferdinand. I love the way Ricky Wilson looks, his unique and wierd clothes makes him seem intresing. I loved songs like I Predict A Riot, Everyday I Love You Less And Less and Modern Way. If it were stolen I'd definitly buy it again. // 10

Employment Reviewed by: METSOAD, on may 22, 2006

Sound: The sound is extremely crisp and modern, as is the trend with indie bands the basslines are extremely complicated, and the guitare is extremely simple. However this is anything but your typical indie album. Their sond harks back to the bygone britpop and even mod eras of the '80s and '90s. The vocals are extremely british and that adds to the irrepresable energy of the album. Even when they are mellow they are energetic. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are not this albums strong point but the vocal tones and structures compliment the music extremely well. The lyrics themselves are very typical britpop lyrics with light hearted odes to social disorder (I Predict A Riot), drinking (Time Honoured Tradition), post modern society (Modern Way) and falling out of love (Every Day I Love You Less And Less). // 9

Overall Impression: There are several great songs on this album. I Predict A Riot is almost the perfect pop song but it is hard enough to appeal to a true rock audience, Born To Be A Dancer is an underrated album track that is as good as any song made this year. Modern Way is the best song on the record, simply because it has got the best chorus in a long time. Oh My God is their piano ballad and is not good for it. Time Honoured Tradition is overlooked but overall this album is a cheeky, energetic, bouncy and it's what a lot of bands try to be and fail, straight up rock and roll. // 10

Employment Reviewed by: Crash91, on june 26, 2006

Sound: 'Employment' was Kaiser Chiefs' first album, and what an album it was. In 2006, Kaiser Chiefs won three Brit Awards, one of them was the best album. It was a brilliant decision to nominate 'Employment' for the best albums. This album includes 'Everyday I Love You Less And Less', 'I Predict A Riot', 'Modern Way', 'Na Na Na Na Naa' and 'Oh My God'. The opening track is 'Everyday I Love You Less And Less', and it was a brilliant decision to choose that song as the opening track. The highlight of this album is undoubtedly 'I Predict A Riot', it contained a sensational guitar riff and was previously Kaiser Chiefs' greatest hit. The more bassy 'Modern Way' was another one of Kaiser Chiefs' extraordinary material. Kaiser Chiefs' debut hit 'Oh My God' contains a brilliant solo. Other great songs on this album that didn't get released are named 'Saturday Night' and 'Caroline, Yes' (well, actually song on this album are great). If you're thinking that Kaiser Chiefs' had done a cover of 'Saturday Night', which was that disco hit that every rocker hates, you're wrong. In fact, the intro to 'Saturday Night' sounds the same as Motorhead's 'Motorhead' intro. 'Caroline, Yes' may not sound a great song because of it's title, it is actually a fantastic song. Overall, if you buy this album, you're in for a treat. It is the greatest 2000's album by far. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are just as good as the music. The lyrics were pure genius, and that's why this album was made the most successful album in the 2000's. The singing skills were great as well, but the singer got hit by a car not long ago and Kaiser Chiefs' fans feared that he may never sing again. But he is fine now, so get ready for the future. // 10

Overall Impression: As well as Hard-Fi's 'Stars Of CCTV', 'Employment' was one of the greatest albums in the 2000's. The most impressive songs on this album are the released songs and 'Caroline, Yes'. What I love about this album was that it was an album that you could never get bored off and the songs were pure genius. If this album got stolen/lost, I would certainly buy it again. To end this review, 'Employment' is definitely a must-buy for any alternative British rocker. And another thing, Kaiser Chiefs are British, you should be proud. // 10

More Kaiser Chiefs reviews rating latest review