Yours Truly Angry Mob Review

8.2
 7.7
 8.7
Yours Truly Angry Mob Reviewed by: FratelliFan, on april 25, 2007

Sound: This is not one of those albums you're going to like first time you hear it, especially if you're a diehard Kaiser fan. But as you listen more and more, you suddenly realise, it's still the Kaiser Chiefs; it's just that this time around, their feet are planted firmly on the ground. Gone are the oh-so-unnecessary 'Woah!'s that had become a trademark of the fledgling group. In their place, we have a rhythmical album, with many ups and downs, and I don't know if their guitarist took a crash course with Eric Clapton (like MCR), but his sound has improved unbelievably since the last albums. The solos actually work with the songs now! Some of the songs are a little bit samey, but they are mostly fun and great to listen to. I would also like to mention the pining ballad 'Love's Not A Competition' as the best song on the album. The Chiefs have evolved from immature monkeys to big, strong men. // 9

Lyrics: Ricky's amazing voice returns again in full force on YTAM, with his vocal talents extremely apparent on songs such as 'Love's Not A Competition', 'Learnt My Lesson Well'(which by the way brings out the best in everybody on the Kaiser team), and 'Try Your Best'. Rhythmically, the lyrics are well written to fit to the music, although his actual lyrical ability still leaves something to be desired. Thankfully, his suitcase full of irony, sarcasm and wit help to portray his perspective on life in England. This time around, the lyrics seem more personal and it's easier to understand what he's talking about. Also, whereas on the last album, Emplyoment, the Kaiser Chiefs used the random lyrical conception immortalised by the Red Hot Chili Peppers song 'Can't Stop', these lyrics actually make sense. Another interesting point to note is how Ricky's lyrics were almost written as a monologue: 'I remember nights out when we were young/They weren't very good, they were rubbish/Running round Highroyds isn't fun/Just teenagers testing their courage.' // 8

Overall Impression: There was so much hype and build-up to this album that it's hard not to be disappointed with such feeble efforts like 'Thank You Very Much' and 'I Can Do It Without You', but they more than make up for it with summer anthems like 'The Angry Mob' and 'Everything Is Average Nowadays'. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the album with which they 'break' North America. With 'Ruby' getting continuous airplay alongside The Fratellis' 'Flathead', I don't think it'll be much too long before the Kaisers become a strange, albeit household, name. I have a general rule of thumb: If you hate it the first time, it's a good album; if you love it the first time, it's going to annoy you in weeks to come. Suffice to say I hated Yours Truly, Angry Mob the first time I heard it. // 9

Yours Truly Angry Mob Reviewed by: Bozjoarmstrong, on march 09, 2007

Sound: The Kaiser Chiefs have matured with their sound, heavier but also catchier than the debut album 'Employment'. The guitar riffs are still reminiscent of 'I Predict A Riot' with those driving power chords, but there's also songs such 'Boxing Champ' Which are a lot softer, that one being entirely on the piano. They say the second album is always the hardest and the Kaiser's have created an Album that has a fresh and different sound but also keeps fans of 'Employment' happy with a sound they are still guaranteed to be fond of. // 9

Lyrics: Ricky Wilson is a great singer, he reminds me of Blur's Damon Albarn both in lyrical style and vocal skills. The Kaiser Chiefs would not be able to continue without Ricky, there is no one who can possibly replace him. The Lyrics are nothing too special, youve got lyrics like 'Love's not a competetition but I'm winning' but then there's very repetitive and often uninteresting lyrics, whcih if anything might be considered the Kaiser Chief's downfall in some of their songs but they're still pretty good. // 7

Overall Impression: This easily matches up to their debut album, which was a big hit so there's no doubt this will be very big aswell. This is probably going to be better than most other albums released in early 2007 but maybe not the best of the whole year. 'Ruby', 'Heat Dies Down' and 'Everything Is Average Nowadays' are the pick of the bunch in my opinion, Ruby obviously hit #1 in the UK. it's a great album for anyone who likes rousing indie/rock and although the sound is fresh it will definately not dissapoint Kaiser fans. If it was lost or stolen then I wouldn't buy it again(because I've just uploaded all the tracks onto Windows Media Player) but if not for WMA then yes I would buy this album again! // 9

Yours Truly Angry Mob Reviewed by: bluemoon05, on march 29, 2007

Sound: The Kaiser Chiefs return with the second album and though their sound has changed somewhat, it is still basically the same old stuff. It is still filled with the same kind of repeated lines that are desgned to get in your head but this time it mixes in with a few good and top quality tracks. This album is probably a little more keyboard heavy than the last one, but on the whole it is guitars as the main instrument, with some catchy riffs and nice solos. It is clear Andrew White isn't the most talented guitarist in the world but he is very good at what he does. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are something that let the Kaiser Chiefs down somewhat, though Ricky's voice is superb he can sometimes come up with the some very poor lyrics. My least favourite has to be 'It starts with the one, and then the two then three', clearly very little imagination. The music overall doesn't focus on the lyrics, more on the music being played. // 6

Overall Impression: It is certainly one of the better indie albums of 2007 so far and has some really good tracks on it, showing that they have progressed since their first album, employment. Ruby is a good song from the album, a very catchy song but they get much better than that. I can Do It Without You is certainly one of the best songs on the album and cancels out bad songs like My Kind Of Guy. There seems to be a few fillers on the album which is something I don't like about it but overall it is a decent album that should by no means go down as a classic but is good for a listen every now and then. // 9

Yours Truly Angry Mob Reviewed by: Cerz, on april 09, 2007

Sound: The band has much improved in its sound since 'Employment' the sound is heavier and flows better from track to track, although, 1 or 2 songs are too alike. The solos are sounding a lot better than before more full and they better fit the song. The influences of the band are starting to show through more and more, as they have toured with bands such as U2 they begin to adopt their styles but in their own way, this sounds good on their new album. // 7

Lyrics: The impression of the lyrics has moved on since 'Enployment', it fits the music better, much better thought out and defined. However, some songs let them down, they sound rushed and out of place, but the overall feel of the lyrics is excellent. The singer's voice has matured along with the new music and lyrics, they suit him better, you can't fault the tunefulness of his singing, even on the live versions, but sometimes he cannot quite keep the time. // 6

Overall Impression: It compares to their last album (Employment) well, although they still have a long way to go to reach the standards of 'Red Hot Chili Peppers' and their newest album, 'Stadium Arcadium or other bands like 'U2' and 'The Killers', but they're on they way for only their secound album. I love the way the music has matured and some of the guitar rifts, pure genius. I Hate some of the short songs with awful lyrics such as 'Boxing Champ' they need to be improved for future albums. If the album was stolen lost I think it would be worthwhile to buy again because they are good to listen to, also as a Beginner guitarist learning quite a lot of techniques like hammer ons and pull offs from their album. // 7

Yours Truly Angry Mob Reviewed by: iamaguitarfish, on january 09, 2008

Sound: The sound really is nothing special it sounds like what it is, a good indie album. But it is not going to change the face of music forever or even temporarily. The guitar riffs are simple yet effective and the piano part adds a depth to the songs. In most cases I would critisise a band for adding a synthesiser to their songs but the kaiser cheifs have used theirs to great effect, they have managed to avoid what many great bands have fallen at and have restrained from pressing the big red button labeled overdo and they deserve credit for this. // 7

Lyrics: 5 words: Na Na Na Na Na, not the worlds most inspiring song title to go with not the worlds most inspiring song but the Na Na song aside this is an impressive album for lyrics. This album certainly has unusual subject matters, it stays away from the unofficial rules of songwriting that state you must write about girls and nights out and instead discusses subjects such as retirement and the monotony of modern life therefore making it a welcome break from the massproduced nonsense which seems to be dominating the charts currently. // 6

Overall Impression: Like the Arcitic Monkeys if they played softer, like the hoosiers if they took themselves seriously and like the fratellis if they were younger. This is the closest that I can get to a comparison, a poor attempt but I am sure you will be able to sympathise with me as the kaiser chiefs really are like no other band in the music buissness today and with the buissness so saturated they should be awarded a prize for this. This album is a great display of talent and I would recomend that everyone buys it. // 8

More Kaiser Chiefs reviews rating latest review