Swampsong Review

kalmah: Swampsong
Release Date: Jul 29, 2003
Label: Century Media
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Scandinavian Metal, Symphonic Black Metal
All the instruments blend very well, and Kalmah managed to write one of their best.
 8.7
 8.4
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Swampsong Reviewed by: creepingdeth428, on february 27, 2008

Sound: This is by far one of the best bands in the genre, unfortunately though for them they are not as well known as some similar artists such as Children Of Bodom or Dark Tranquillity. But as far as this album goes the production on it is what I would hope for, for this band. The guitars are fast and in your face, and with a few songs really managed to write some amazing melodies that will stick with you for a long time, such as the lead at the beginning of Heroes To Us, or Suodeth. The drumming on the album is nothing out of the ordinary, but it goes very well with all the songs, and adds a lot of intensity to certain parts or really builds to the point where you're ready to burst. As for the bass it is drowned out for the most part, but I expected that prior to listening. However, it does come through on a few songs such as Burbot's Revenge, Tordah, or Cloned Insanity. As far as the keyboards go there are a lot of really cool solos and leads that are done through the entire album, and they also give the whole album a really cool mystical vibe to it when not soloing. Personally I think that the vocals are done really well on this album. For the most part the vocals are screams, but every now and then the deth growling is thrown in, which gives the songs a really cool feel. But overall all the instruments blend very well, and Kalmah managed to write one of their best. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics and this topic cover a wide range of topics, which range from what seems to be a poem or letter written to his love, to political songs about governments and societies as a whole. Although it's hard to understand to understand the vocals spoken on the album, if you were to read them you would find very well described epic tales, sorcery, severe internal conflicts, and a very frustrated outlook on mankind. Another thing I really liked was the use of strong imagery, in each of the songs, so you can see a very vivid picture of the tale being told in your head. // 9

Overall Impression: I think that this a definite much buy album if you like anything even similar to this style of music. And I guarantee an exciting listening experience every time you listen to this album. And even though personally Swamplord is my favorite album from Kalmah this album ranks in at a close second and complement each other very well. And if you are unsure if you want to get this album or not listen to Heroes To Us, Suodeth, and Burbot's Revenge. Furthermore, this is an album that you should have in your collection, because I guarantee you will love it for years to come. // 9

More Kalmah reviews rating latest review
+ Seventh Swamphony 7.9 06/17/2013