Karma Review

kamelot: Karma
Release Date: Jul 10, 2001
Label: FAD
Genres: Progressive Metal, Power Metal, Heavy Metal
Opening with the track "Regalis Aperture," an instrumental piece that sounds like it could have been lifted from the Chariots of Fire soundtrack, Kamelot's Karma promises to deliver ambitiously orchestral prog-metal from the very start.
 8.6
 9.3
 7.8
review (1) 10 comments vote for this album:
Karma Reviewed by: Step Hen, on june 24, 2008

Sound: I need to just come out and say this right off the bat, this band is great. From the name of the band, I thought I would be listening to songs with lyrics like "King Arthur, praise his name!" and "Slay the dragon, dark and deep, then the Ladies' soul is yours to keep!" Nope. These guys go above and beyond what any other band would do, they sound great and don't sing about D&D stuff. Thomas Youngblood, in my opinion, is the next Hendrix. The 2nd song "Forever", shows this clearly. Although none of the tabs for "Forever" are correct here, try tabbing it, and then try to play it. It'll take "Forever"! Oliver, Casy and Glen are at the top of thier game as always. The sound just can't be beat! // 10

Lyrics: Just listen to Khan! I don't care what he sings, it all sounds good. But that doesn't help, does it. The vocals are beautiful, but I have to mainly talk about two songs, one a remake of the other with a twist. The origional song is called "Don't You Cry", which is about someone passing away, and them trying to make thier love not to concern themselves with the others passing, but to remember the good times and to know that the other is always watching out for them. This song is a wonderful ballad that really goes into your soul. The remake, in my opinion, is much better. It's in French. Yes, the language of grace transforms this song into a flowing river, shall we say, of emotions. If you can't translate the song, it still is awe inspiring. This is a band that can really throw out beautiful, flowing lyrics, or epic lyrics, based on the song. // 9

Overall Impression: This album, although not thier best, is still a great album and a great buy. It's sooooo hard to choose the best song, but I have to say "Forever" is just so epic-ly wonderful it can barely be surpassed by any song they have done. I only have one complaint, which is that Khan's voice hasn't yet completed its "transformation" yet. Let me explain. If you love Kamelot, and have all of thier CD's (with Khan only, not Vanderbilt), you should noticed that his voice has gotten better throughout the years. If you don't buy this CD, you're not a true rock fan. // 9

More Kamelot reviews rating latest review
+ Silverthorn 7.4 05/08/2014